Sign in to follow this  
Tammy

Why are you only able to have 6 characters?

Why can you only have 6 charachters? I feel like being able to have 8 would make much more sense, since you can have two of each with 8 slots. And especially if they want DPS to be more of a viable role, so you can have one builder of each and one dps of each. What do you guys think?

I think it used to be that way, but they may be implementing a system in the future where players can buy additional slots for more characters.  Probably not what you want to hear, though.

@Bladedtaco quote:

You only really need 2 dps characters though, one ranged one melee. aswell as the 4 builders of course.

Ye thats what i have right now, but would be fun to be able to have more imo :)

@Bladedtaco quote:

You only really need 2 dps characters though, one ranged one melee. aswell as the 4 builders of course.

Not really. In DD1 you could have a total of 4 DPS Builds. Elemental Melee , Physical Melee , Elemental Ranged , Physical Ranged. (And ofcourse there are hybrids which didnt quite work well)

In DDE two more types of DPS Builds were added (I might be missing few) . Double Pet DPS ,  Ability Power Caster

Thats the same for builders. Who says you can only have 1 type of build for each of your builder? If I want a tower HP squire and a tower Damage squire I sure as hell be able to do it rather than being limited to 6.

+(I know they are going to increase the character slot size)

++(I know most of these builds dont currently exist but most have been confirmed for the future)

They're probably not adding the ability of buying hero slots, especially not for premium currency, as that would be pay2win.

Also, they've said hat they're going to add more characters in the game at some point. With more characters, more hero slots will probably be added as well... The only problem about that is, that with more heroes, we'd just need even more slots than 8 in order to get and builder and a DPS of each hero...

It's not really pay to win, though. It's more a convenience item.  You can still choose from any of the characters available.  And why else would they reduce the character slots from eight?  They already have the deck limit, the overall character limit serves no purpose unless they have other plans for it, like charging for extra slots.  And I'm pretty sure they've mentioned the possibility somewhere before.

@jako3578 quote:

They're probably not adding the ability of buying hero slots, especially not for premium currency, as that would be pay2win.

No , it wouldnt. Im sure they will expand the free slots and its likely that they will have an option for purchasing extra slots

@Tammy quote:

How do you know this?

They've stated that in the past.

@ShiKaizoku quote:

@jako3578 quote:

No , it wouldnt. Im sure they will expand the free slots and its likely that they will have an option for purchasing extra slots

If you have more slots, you have the ability of creating more combos and have better builds. If you can buy this for real money, it would be pay to win... Especially if they do something about the hero deck (At least for solo games), which i'm guessing they at some point will, having extra slots will give a really big advantage...

Having access to more characters doesn't make you stronger or give you access to better builds.  You still have access to every character and builds are only based on what you have equipped, so you have access to every potential build, as well.  And I wouldn't assume they're going to do anything about the hero deck, or that they would even necessarily change it in the direction you're hoping.

Technically more character slots is just a quality of life improvement, you can XP a rerol and have different builds at the same times without having to switch gear and spheres everytime.

But if they go this way it's getting borderline to a game where payers will be stronger.

Give us a way to get more slots anyway.

@jako3578 quote:The request for more player slots is a specific request for veterans anyway. The majority of players doesnt even create more than two main characters (Im talking about maining them , farming equips for them , leveling them to max etc).

The hero deck will most certainely be changed but by the looks of it it wont be more than 4 characters per run.
That doesnt really give any advantage at all.

Im sure they will increase the character slots from 6 to something like 8 and thne the rest slots will be purchaseable. Then again it might be open freely from 6 to unlimited or a high ammount.

Eitherway it doesnt make the game pay to win at all. Dungeon Defenders has always been about specific builds , stats and combos that work. If you have 6 free slots and 3 characters when the others can have Unlimited Purchased slots and 3 characters it changes nothing.

@jako3578 quote:

If you have more slots, you have the ability of creating more combos and have better builds. If you can buy this for real money, it would be pay to win... Especially if they do something about the hero deck (At least for solo games), which i'm guessing they at some point will, having extra slots will give a really big advantage...

@ShiKaizoku quote:

@jako3578 quote:The request for more player slots is a specific request for veterans anyway. The majority of players doesnt even create more than two main characters (Im talking about maining them , farming equips for them , leveling them to max etc).

The hero deck will most certainely be changed but by the looks of it it wont be more than 4 characters per run.
That doesnt really give any advantage at all.

Im sure they will increase the character slots from 6 to something like 8 and thne the rest slots will be purchaseable. Then again it might be open freely from 6 to unlimited or a high ammount.

Eitherway it doesnt make the game pay to win at all. Dungeon Defenders has always been about specific builds , stats and combos that work. If you have 6 free slots and 3 characters when the others can have Unlimited Purchased slots and 3 characters it changes nothing.

@jako3578 quote:

Having more slos will make it possible to create better builds and make it easier to experiment with more different builds.

Lots of people are ocmplaining about the hero deck, so it's probably getting changed for solo play. If that gets increased, or maybe if the hero deck becomes unlimited or something (For solo games only), being able to purchase slots would be a huge advantage.

@jako3578 quote:

Having more slos will make it possible to create better builds and make it easier to experiment with more different builds.

Lots of people are ocmplaining about the hero deck, so it's probably getting changed for solo play. If that gets increased, or maybe if the hero deck becomes unlimited or something (For solo games only), being able to purchase slots would be a huge advantage.

Except it doesn't.  You can create and experiment with the same builds, regardless.  And there has been no word of removing the deck for solo play.  All the devs have really said in regards to balancing the game for solo vs. multiplayer was to change the balance of the difficulty levels so the lower difficulties would be geared more towards solo play and the higher difficulties more towards co-op.  Beyond that, I wouldn't expect them to eliminate the restrictions on solo games.  The game isn't structured to distinguish between solo and multiplayer, so any restrictions that apply to multiplayer are likely going to have to carry over to single player, as well.  It would be too much of a programming headache to figure out the logistics of someone switching from a solo game to co-op mid stage and even allowing such a thing would promote pretty blatant cheating and push players even further away from Trendy's goal of team play.  

I like the idea of "2 hero slots per character so you can have 1dps and 1 builder" but you guys gotta remember that like in DD1 there will certainly be characters where it would be, for lack of better word, stupid to build them as a dps or a builder. LIke the Barbarian or the Summoner