Sign in to follow this  
Kaizan

Mechanic Hero

Hey, was thinking of a hero that would be different then something we've seen in Dungeon defenders and wanted to suggest the idea.

Was thinking of a Mechanic Hero that would look amazing with the art style trendy has taken here. A girl with giant goggles holding an oversized wrench, who would build a hovering repair bot, that would work similar to auras from a monk to automatically heal towers lowering its own durability. Then machine gun/rocket towers for AA and Grenade catapults for splash damage.

mechanic.png

As an example

I think drones hovering around the map and repairing defenses would be pretty cool... But some changes would have to be made so players don't just build, place a repair bot and go afk. Awesome class suggestion, though. 

I vote for a tower that turns in to a mech at max level and you can teleport inside of (so there are no extra animations).

And use that to hold a lane doing the aiming yourself.

A steampunk/mechanical hero would fit perfectly into the game - love the idea, but it'd probably be a good idea to flesh things out a bit in terms of hero abilities/defenses.

And for the record, if DD1/DDE has taught me anything, any defense and heals/repairs automatically (*COUGH*mages*COUGH) is a ridiculously broken defense mechanic and in my opinion has no place in DD2. I *do* however like the concept of a controllable defense, perhaps compounding your hero attack on top of the defense's stats.

I imagine this class being able to have a robot arm that can grab ogre's club mid swing to stop it from attacking for a second or two.

@Woqini quote:

Did you create this drawing ?

No, just picked something from google that resembled an image from my head. Sorry shouldve said that

I have a post on this with towers and skills listed if u wanna check it out.\

https://www.dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/120037/engineer-character-and-his-skills-and-towers

Nice, you had a similar idea too and only a few days old. Any chance you heard me suggesting it in incursion matches? or are just both after a similar concept hero. 

On a side note I hope they dont add any repeated heroes from DD1 =\

There are two ways to go here. Straight steam and crystal steam. Each has its own look and benefits.

You'll also want some heavy synergies both with her own gear and with allies. Also something to really set her apart.

Buildings

Conveyor Belt: Land only, drifts enemies in the set direction. It can be used as a slow, or as a means to help enemies towards cliffs or into towers ranges,

Steam Gun: Literally fires steam. Possibly shrinks drenched enemies? Hmm... Probably has good aoe knockback but is rather slow.

Doom Bloon: A steampunk blimp that drops bombs on enemies below, and can flak nearby air. Expensive but good coverage in the areas it is placed from both types of enemies.

Repair Drone: A semi autonomous flying energy container that expends its fill on repairing nearby defenses. Unlike other defenses like it, if it runs out of % it flies back to its pad and remains dormant at 1%? 0%? Destroying pad or drone destroys the other.

The Experiment: Fires for random damage and is terrible unupgraded. Tosses wrenches, chucks out cogs, sprays hot oil at random, shoots out a bolt. Can only be relied upon to be unreliable. May be made less dodgy through orbs or upgrades.

Specials

One possible special would be that her towers all start off stronger when at full health or close to it. But below an amount they are weaker instead. Meaning repair drones see much use, and everything requires constant maintenance to stay up to par.

Or give her overclock as her 4th spell, making one tower gain special abilities or bonuses temporarily. Possibly not just her tower. For example, conveyor belts work overtime, and can even slow down or throw back an ogre if facing the other way.

@Kaizan quote:

Love those skill thoughts ninja, the conveyor belt is really interesting.

Isn't it though? You can speed up or slow down or group up half a lane or the whole lane of enemies, and direct the flow onto huntress traps, allied line of fire for towers, etc. Suddenly things like the squire and apprentice ubers gain much more viability with their short or narrow aoe abilities :P