OtterDarkness

DDDK Tutorial List & Other Helpful Links

Figured it might be nice to have all tutorials relating to the DDDK in one central location. I will update this list as more are added.

Difficulty - Changing for Play Mode

Importing Heroes

Enemy Spawning

Treasure Chests

Minimaps

Pathing

Rewarding and Customizing Items

Setting Up Waves(Start,End,and In Between)

Checkpoints

DDDK Overview

The following Google Drive link is to an mhtml file of www.morgan-roberts.com/DunDef which is no longer online. (mhtml files save all external resources such as images for html documents into a single file.You can view them with Chrome or Internet Explorer, the default for Windows)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JLdup7I9bIiK84suuSeTQvTav1bmuwWo

The list of tutorials located there includes:

Creating Editor Shortcut
LightmassImportance Volume
Crystal Core Setup
Pathing
Spawn Points
PlayerStart, Treasure Chests, Forge
DunDefTowerAllowanceVolumes
Wave Spawners
Cinematic Intro
Core Death Cinematic
Doors
Blocking/Collision System

Other Helpful Links:

UDK Home

UDK Tutorials

Material Editing

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

I tried to start the DDDK but Steam says it failed because of a 'missing executable'.
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dungeon Defenders\Binaries\DunDefTool and launch it through there.

Why is it so hard to move in the DDDK?
Hold right click and use WASD to move as if you were playing a normal game.

How do you set the overlord bounds on a map for summoner?

With a map open go to View>World Properties, enter 'overlord' in the search bar.

PRO TIPS

Configuring the Minimap: in psuedo-realtime when you are trying to scale it place the minimap actor, go into the map, type rc into the chat and hit enter. In the rc window that pops up click toggle show only dynamic actors and then find the minimap actor. Then set the properties from there going back and forth.

Pinned. Great resource post. Thanks for taking the initiative to do this, [[57965,users]]. And thanks for brightening the forums with otters. 

You could always try The New Boston's UDK videos on Youtube. The series is about 60 episodes long but the videos are decently short and well named in terms of what they are talking about. So if you are trying to do a Specific thing that is generic across the UDK you could scroll through his videos and find it.

@starfox64_0 quote:

You could always try The New Boston's UDK videos on Youtube. The series is about 60 episodes long but the videos are decently short and well named in terms of what they are talking about. So if you are trying to do a Specific thing that is generic across the UDK you could scroll through his videos and find it.

Thanks Starfox, I added it to the list

Otter would you know what to do about this

A3dgz0C.pngi want to point out the DDDK and game itself are fresh installs, and that i'm using Windows 10

also, i'm looking at this

n6OqHCz.pngcould you make a tutorial explaining what all of the above do? like when is it appropiate to use the TC area vs the Map MOd Cooking, vs the Steam Workshop Item area.

or what is cooking?

which one would i use if i wanted to change a game mechanic like being able to place monk aura's over a spawn area, or have the ability to make monk to monk slow aura's over lap so you don't have to take your gear off. or what if i wanted to mod the games UI or the tavern, is the UI in the TC or is the Tavern a TC?

i think you should add this link to the OP https://www.dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/19717/dungeon-defenders-development-kit-basic-overview

@Layarion quote:

Otter would you know what to do about this

A3dgz0C.pngi want to point out the DDDK and game itself are fresh installs, and that i'm using Windows 10

Just ignore this^.^

@Layarion quote:

also, i'm looking at this

n6OqHCz.pngcould you make a tutorial explaining what all of the above do? like when is it appropiate to use the TC area vs the Map MOd Cooking, vs the Steam Workshop Item area.

or what is cooking?

which one would i use if i wanted to change a game mechanic like being able to place monk aura's over a spawn area, or have the ability to make monk to monk slow aura's over lap so you don't have to take your gear off. or what if i wanted to mod the games UI or the tavern, is the UI in the TC or is the Tavern a TC?

Most of overview for TC's(total conversions) vs. Mods you can find in the link of the DDDK overview that you suggested I add to the OP(which I will do). I think the development launcher is pretty self explanatory once you go to upload a mod to the workshop so don't think it merits a separate tutorial. If you have more questions feel free to pm me on the forums and I will do my best to answer.

Haven't looked into most of these explicitly but I will say you would most likely be using the following:

Auras over a spawn area:  total conversion

Auras Overlapping: total conversion

UI: Mod editor(can use if you have a trigger for the UI in the level and you save it in the map file, but if uploading to the workshop will not change the normal UI instance in the game)

tavern: Mod editor(but will not be the default tavern unless you change some other config files which is TC area)

The DDDK says it failed to download the CDT scripts. I suppose it's fine right ?

For a more interesting question. Do I have to update the scripts if I verify the game's cache (not DDDK) since they are in the same directory ?

@Akasame quote:

The DDDK says it failed to download the CDT scripts. I suppose it's fine right ?

For a more interesting question. Do I have to update the scripts if I verify the game's cache (not DDDK) since they are in the same directory ?

The DDDK that is available is from before Tinkers lab DLC. It does not have access to any content after that update, so it will always see the missing scripts introduced from community updates and try to build them but fail. Just say no when it asks to rebuild scripts.

Yes, they are. Use these ones instead

Difficulty - Changing for Play Mode

Importing heroes

DDDK Overview

Checkpoints

Setting Up Waves(Start,End,and In Between)

Here's another link I found while getting the fixed ones:

https://forums.dungeondefenders.com/forums/topic/120031-DDDK-Script-Locations
https://forums.dungeondefenders.com/forums/topic/23937-DDDK-Tutorials---Your-First-Map