Sign in to follow this  
spar13

Distribute DU evenly on public games.

Playing in public groups sucks right now. I acknowledge that part of the game is teaching others and finding new builds. Having someone spend all of the DU on a single lane and then blaming you when the group fails is annoying though. I'd like to request that DU is distributed evenly among the players and the players can offer their DU to a specific teammate if they so wish. 

I'm only looking for this to be on public games. Private should remain how it currently is.

Seems like it would complicate things even further.  I don't think this would make the game more enjoyable and kind of gives more power to trolls who want to be disruptive or who refuse to cooperate.  Something like this has the potential to actually make public games more frustrating and less appealing.

I agree with Isukun on this one. On top of that, it would be such a pain trying to get a build going when undergeared players will start wanting to spend "their" DU.

Once they add the option to open up private games to the public, so more skilled players can build before they open the hatches and let other players in, perhaps. 

In lots of games, there's only one or two builders, and with this being added, that wouldn't be possible.. I don't think this is the right solution, although i do think, that this is a pretty big problem. It's the same, when someone uses all the DU, when you'd actually like to build a bit as well... Splitting up the DU would fix that, but a lot of people prefer doing it like that, so that just creates a similar problem...

If you want people to work together, you have to make it harder for them to work alone.  I don't think splitting up DU really does that, it just gives you less resources to work with, but still leaves you with all the means to do what you want by yourself.  You'd just end up with four people trying individualized plans on a smaller scale, rather than coordinating their efforts.  

The game is structured to try to promote team play by offering benefits for combining assets from different classes.  That doesn't really work, though, when you can swap between different characters since any individual player can get those benefits without having to rely on anybody else.  If you want people to actually work together, a better approach might be to have a two character deck.  One character is used exclusively for building and another exclusively during the combat phase.  You could use a different system for solo play or just keep the existing 3 character deck.

@Isukun quote:

If you want people to work together, you have to make it harder for them to work alone.  I don't think splitting up DU really does that, it just gives you less resources to work with, but still leaves you with all the means to do what you want by yourself.  You'd just end up with four people trying individualized plans on a smaller scale, rather than coordinating their efforts.  

The game is structured to try to promote team play by offering benefits for combining assets from different classes.  That doesn't really work, though, when you can swap between different characters since any individual player can get those benefits without having to rely on anybody else.  If you want people to actually work together, a better approach might be to have a two character deck.  One character is used exclusively for building and another exclusively during the combat phase.  You could use a different system for solo play or just keep the existing 3 character deck.

The problem is, that there are lots of problems about adding this in as well... Lots of people actually like just having one builder and then using DPS heroes, and lots of people like simply soloing as well. Forcing teamwork or decreasing the amoung of heroes in the hero deck will destroy solo play, and lots of people already hate the way the current hero deck works, because they want to be able to swap between even more heroes.

Considering what I said, I don't see either or those as a problem.  If you're trying to promote team play, you should do it for every phase, not just the build phase and it's not like you can swap out your DPS characters during the combat phase, anyway.  You can still have multiple characters with multiple builds, you would just only be bringing one into a multiplayer game.

I also specifically stated at the end there, this system would not apply to solo play.  There's no reason to promote team play when there's no team.  So, if your major concern is the impact on solo play, there is no impact on solo play.

@Isukun quote:

Considering what I said, I don't see either or those as a problem.  If you're trying to promote team play, you should do it for every phase, not just the build phase and it's not like you can swap out your DPS characters during the combat phase, anyway.  You can still have multiple characters with multiple builds, you would just only be bringing one into a multiplayer game.

I also specifically stated at the end there, this system would not apply to solo play.  There's no reason to promote team play when there's no team.  So, if your major concern is the impact on solo play, there is no impact on solo play.

The thing is, some people like to have only one buildet build for them, while they focus on DPS. In order for this to be as effective as possible, that builder probably needs more than one hero, which wouldn't be possible, if you could only bring one hero into a multiplayer game.

I actually do sort of agree with you, and i wouldn't mind only being able to bring one hero into a public game, but i think that quite a lot of people wouldn't enjoy it that way, because they like being either only builders or only DPS.

Also, anoher problem with only being able to go into a game with one hero, would be if everyone chooses a DPS hero, and there's no good or only one good builder, which wouldn't be very effective. People that are building probably also want to be able to switch to a dps hero, otherwise the combat phase wouldn't be as enjoyable or them. Or they'd have to make heroes that have a mix of defense power and hero power, which again wouldn't be as effective.

The suggestion wasn't to bring in only one character.  It was to bring in two.  One which is only used during the build phase and one that is only used during combat.  The incentive is to promote team play in multiplayer matches.  So no, you wouldn't be able to have just one builder unless a team relied on a very simple defensive strategy that only utilized one character's towers.  Beyond that, though, you wouldn't have situations where you have all builders or all DPS as every player would be bringing one of each.

I misunderstood that, i thought you meant that you could only bring in one hero for the whole game :)

I'd actually find this really interesting, as i right now barely play public games, because of the fact that you either build everything by yourself anyway or (Which happens to me pretty much every time) someone asks for all mana and builds everything by himself. With this solution, you're forced to work together, which in these cases seems good. However, there's probably a reason that there's often only one builder, which is that this builder wants to be the only builder... So, these players probably won't like this solution...

@Ratiasu quote:

I agree with Isukun on this one. On top of that, it would be such a pain trying to get a build going when undergeared players will start wanting to spend "their" DU.

Once they add the option to open up private games to the public, so more skilled players can build before they open the hatches and let other players in, perhaps. 

This, in DD I always prebuilt fully before opening to public and just let them upgrade/do whatever. Here I don't get that option, I get squires putting 6 cannons down out of range behind the crystal, monks throwing lightning auras everywhere like they're going to do something, oddly enough I have yet to meet an apprentice who wasted their towers, they probably learned the way I did that mages need those xD