Sign in to follow this  
Vetokend

How much of the mechanics will we have access to?

My brother and I talked a bit about this in the past, and we were interested in creating a few mods.

We wanted to do things like flatten the experience curve, increase (or remove) the level cap, change how many stat points per level you get, etc, etc, etc.

We also talked about making tower range increase the projectile speed of what they fire, to make it so range doesn't hurt accuracy.

Will this kind of stuff be something we'll be able to change with the community development kit?

You could probably change all of that in a total conversion, it wouldn't be a simple mod off of the workshop with how much you are changing you are changing full on game mechanics at that point. 

Pray that total conversions are getting a look into.  If they are, the sky is the limit, so long as you learn your way around Unreal Script.

I would enjoy a TC that raises the level cap to say maybe 500 :) 25 extra stat points say every 50 levels or so. Not ridiculously overpowered but something for the effort. I find it fun to have something to work toward.

A TC with a 500 level cap would be nice if they redid level scaling. With the current scaling, it would suck considering it takes like 12 hours to reach level 500. Then again it would only be for those of us truly dedicated to the game...

I feel like eventually everyone will hit a point in the game we have people begging to raise the actual level cap or a new quality of gear....

I could see a new tier of gear, I just don't see many asking for more levels. It's already pretty hard to level up at higher levels and it takes way too many TD runs. Unless Moonbase or other open maps Trendy wants to add to ranked have great exp, I doubt we'll see much leveling up.

True, but that is off topic,

Anyways OP, the best way to do it is to find guides about doing total conversions. There are a couple lurking around the internet I'm sure.

Total conversions are at present extremely broken and can't be played in the normal game.  As I said, hope that they're getting a look into as far as a patch is concerned, because that's the only way they'll be able to be enjoyed.

The changes mentioned are possible - not sure about going through the DDDK since I use a text editor (code being C++).  Making the changes and not breaking the game is another matter.  As far as playing the TC, you will be able to by compiling and playing it through the DDDK.  Sharing it will be another matter since you can't compile the TC to give another player for them to just play through the game menu.  The 'broken' part is that TCs can only be played through the DDDK at this time.  If you try to compile for your own run time through the game menu the textures do not get pulled in properly.  Also note that the DDDK game files version does not match the current game files - so do not expect to the game to be the same since it is an older version.  

Other than that it is relatively simple to either copy the sample TC that comes with the DDDK or make a new one and start playing around.  Last caveat is that some changes do break the game either from operating or by making it impossible to play.

PS:  both a new quality level for items and extending the level cap are not trivial projects.  Though the level cap could probably be extended to 105 without much pain to players as is - but think of months for leveling at that point due to the scaling.

@Nexus quote:

Total conversions are at present extremely broken and can't be played in the normal game.  As I said, hope that they're getting a look into as far as a patch is concerned, because that's the only way they'll be able to be enjoyed.

do you think we could add new pet types or new boss types?

@1aydan quote:

@Nexus quote:

do you think we could add new pet types or new boss types?

Anything you can take the time to create a new class type and AI for, can be added. Think of the Total Conversion system as a blank slate to build on. If it already exists, it can be made/copied/modified.

The heck.  Sorry, folks, not sure how this fell off my radar.  Never have quite gotten the hang of the new forums.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses.  it really does sound hopeful.  I'm so excited to see where this will go.

I'm all about having a goal to reach, and when I've reached that goal, I get bored and go do something else.  So, along with other posters in this thread, I hope that community development will slowly inch up the quality of gear, possibly even the level cap, to keep us shooting higher into the ranks.