Sign in to follow this  
dmvanmeveren

Is this Dora the Explora?

Dear Trendy,

Please remember your demographic and the violent nature of the storyline of Dungeon Defenders II.

Most of us here happen to be adults.

Please don't make me feel like I'm playing the game version of a Nick Jr. cartoon. Some of the NPC's and all of the pets look like they belong in Dora the Explora, not defending a suffering kingdom from an oncoming horde of murderous evil and a dragon which burns and kills the innocent. 

The dragon- the central boss of the game as it stands- is the mother of all wyverns, is the looming threat to the safety of the kingdom, is swift and certain death- is named "Betsy?" that's cute. I guess.

My pet- which is to aid me and my defenses in my battle against murderous and senseless orcs and ogres- is a dragon that spews out bubbles or is a cat with a propeller? that's cute. I guess.

Please, please, please, please include some badass content, do excuse my French, because I can't handle this over-saturated 1:00 PM on a Tuesday Nick Jr. Cartoon content anymore.

5EMUt.png

Maybe the pet evolutions and some of the future bosses can be more menacing, but the fact she is named Betsy is awesome! Don't go hatin' !

DAT Pikachu! Hahahaha :D Thanks for making me laugh!

Hahahaa

Topic: I think its ok, the game IS cute and has a comic style, so it IS good as it is now.
But yeah, i would be thankful too for more "EPIC" stuff ;)

There were a lot of cute elements in the first game, too, the art style just wasn't as appealing or as well put together.  In fact, the new pets are primarily based on existing familiars from the previous game (which were mostly meant to be cute or humorous), just updated to fit the style and given a few variations.  Color, humor, and the occasional cuteness doesn't make something a kid's game, though.  It's nice to see something more cartoony and bright every now and then in an industry that seems to lean overwhelmingly towards gritty and "badass" (i.e. boring).  Things start to blend together a bit too much when you rely too heavily on the same basic style all the time.  There are quite a few games out there, though, that have used more color, softer designs, and humor and still maintained a more adult theme or adult elements, so none of those things make something intrinsically more "kiddy".  

This argument, along with the hyperbole of jumping straight to comparing it to shows made for toddlers, is something I see more commonly out of younger gamers, who are a bit more concerned about personal image.  I rarely see this sentiment out of people my own age who have less difficulty jumping between dark and gritty games and more colorful and cute games just so long as they offer the fun and challenge they are looking for.

I disagree, i like the cute factor mixed up with the evil-fighting factor. It's something unique about DD2 

Theres nothing wrong with Betsy. Whats one of the most deadly natural disasters to strike the modern world? Hurricanes. What are they mostly named after? Women! Personally I'm happy it isn't just a slight variation of Onyxia or something.

But yeah I really hope the pet evolutions turn them into something other than flying eggs. Lets be real thats pretty much all the Gatos and Dragons in a nutshell, flying eggs with wings, tails and accessories. Only the Creepers have actualy shapes. AND ONE IS A BABY GOBLIN!

Hurricane names alternate between male and female names.  And why would 50% of hurricanes being named after women make them any less threatening?

@Isukun quote:

Hurricane names alternate between male and female names.  And why would 50% of hurricanes being named after women make them any less threatening?

They don't, thats the point. Using a simplistic human name doesn't make it non-threatening, at least as long as its not a cutesy name.

And most named hurricanes are named after women. Not ALL, most.

No, they're not.  Look it up.  The naming convention for tropical storms is alphabetical starting at the beginning of the year and names alternate between male and female names.  So for 2015 (in the North Atlantic), it starts with a woman's name, the next would be a man's, then a woman's, then another man's, etc.  In 2016, it will start with a man's name, followed by a woman's, etc. And they go back and forth every year, so you get a pretty even spread between male and female names. 

Wiki article about hurricane naming conventions.

Yet the most popular/devastating ones are named after women.

Why are we arguing about this? Point remains valid, normal names make it no less threatening.

It just bugs me when I see something that's blatantly false.  Among some of the most destructive hurricanes are Ike, Ivan, Hugo, and Andrew.  Sure, there are also Camille, Charley, Katrina and so forth, but there's not an overwhelmingly larger number of female hurricanes than male.  Which storms mature into hurricanes is entirely random and the spread is pretty even between the genders, even when you're looking at the more famous and destructive ones.

@Isukun quote:

There were a lot of cute elements in the first game, too, the art style just wasn't as appealing or as well put together.  In fact, the new pets are primarily based on existing familiars from the previous game (which were mostly meant to be cute or humorous), just updated to fit the style and given a few variations.  Color, humor, and the occasional cuteness doesn't make something a kid's game, though.  It's nice to see something more cartoony and bright every now and then in an industry that seems to lean overwhelmingly towards gritty and "badass" (i.e. boring).  Things start to blend together a bit too much when you rely too heavily on the same basic style all the time.  There are quite a few games out there, though, that have used more color, softer designs, and humor and still maintained a more adult theme or adult elements, so none of those things make something intrinsically more "kiddy".  

This argument, along with the hyperbole of jumping straight to comparing it to shows made for toddlers, is something I see more commonly out of younger gamers, who are a bit more concerned about personal image.  I rarely see this sentiment out of people my own age who have less difficulty jumping between dark and gritty games and more colorful and cute games just so long as they offer the fun and challenge they are looking for.

I enjoy the cartoony graphics as well, but there is very little content at the moment which elevates DD2 away from simply being a nick jr. cartoon. It feels more like a Little Einstein's adventure than an aesthetically satisfying game. I feel like I need to get my parent's permission to log on. Fable had the same saturated graphical style, but was badass. 

Yeah you're not looking hard enough. Try looking closely at the context of the throne room with the three seats.

I mean did you even check the basement in dd1? Anyways, yeah the pets are supposed to look like babies. They are hatchlings slated for evolution.

Anyways,  I think Betsy was an amusing name. It makes me think of an old fashioned hunter looking for Betsy. Usually the most vicious thing in the jungle, lookin like that level 9001 pikachu ashe power leveled and hacked candies on before gym number three. Her movements are so perfect and awesome, especially the leap off point just before the cinematic ends.

I dunno if every boss needs that sort of name, but this and a couple others would be fine. If it turns out Betsy used to be a person named Betsy, it would be dark immediately XD. Likely not the case, but I wouldn't rule it out considering the little much appreciated tidbits they throw in everywhere. (I see you, easter eggberta, that amazoness on incursion hard watching us out in the jungle)

@Ninja_Kero quote:

Yeah you're not looking hard enough. Try looking closely at the context of the throne room with the three seats.

I mean did you even check the basement in dd1? Anyways, yeah the pets are supposed to look like babies. They are hatchlings slated for evolution.

Anyways,  I think Betsy was an amusing name. It makes me think of an old fashioned hunter looking for Betsy. Usually the most vicious thing in the jungle, lookin like that level 9001 pikachu ashe power leveled and hacked candies on before gym number three. Her movements are so perfect and awesome, especially the leap off point just before the cinematic ends.

I dunno if every boss needs that sort of name, but this and a couple others would be fine. If it turns out Betsy used to be a person named Betsy, it would be dark immediately XD. Likely not the case, but I wouldn't rule it out considering the little much appreciated tidbits they throw in everywhere. (I see you, easter eggberta, that amazoness on incursion hard watching us out in the jungle)

No, I do understand the context- I'm saying the aesthetic content does not match the context. People are dead or at risk of dying; but I am going to defend them by wearing my shirt with hearts all over it? Maybe we could use plastic t-ball bats or cotton-padded teddy bears to kill the Dark Ones?And I also agree that Betsy looks badass, but the name Betsy is just too cheesy for my taste.

@dmvanmeveren quote:

No, I do understand the context- I'm saying the aesthetic content does not match the context. People are dead or at risk of dying; but I am going to defend them by wearing my shirt with hearts all over it? Maybe we could use plastic t-ball bats or cotton-padded teddy bears to kill the Dark Ones?And I also agree that Betsy looks badass, but the name Betsy is just too cheesy for my taste.

The hearts are a reference to the first game where the Squire wore heart print boxers.  Instead of boxers, he's now wearing the tank top.  It's actually a more badass design than the old one since now he actually looks like a man and not a kid in oversized armor. 

The contrast between Betsy's look and her name is part of the humor.  It's not to make her cute, it's to create a ludicrous contrast between this threatening monster and her completely non-threatening name.

The style of the game has always kind of relied on these contradictory elements.  That's part of the fun and humor of the series.  Not everything has to be dark and gritty to be appealing to adults and games don't have to always adopt a serious tone to be considered "mature".  There's nothing wrong with light fun.

@Isukun quote:

@dmvanmeveren quote:

The hearts are a reference to the first game where the Squire wore heart print boxers.  Instead of boxers, he's now wearing the tank top.  It's actually a more badass design than the old one since now he actually looks like a man and not a kid in oversized armor. 

The contrast between Betsy's look and her name is part of the humor.  It's not to make her cute, it's to create a ludicrous contrast between this threatening monster and her completely non-threatening name.

The style of the game has always kind of relied on these contradictory elements.  That's part of the fun and humor of the series.  Not everything has to be dark and gritty to be appealing to adults and games don't have to always adopt a serious tone to be considered "mature".  There's nothing wrong with light fun.

Yep. The heart print boxers made even less sense. DD2 could be so much more. I'm just disappointed with some of the dev's aesthetic choices.

@dmvanmeveren quote:

Yep. The heart print boxers made even less sense. DD2 could be so much more. I'm just disappointed with some of the dev's aesthetic choices.

Why?  Were you expecting something different after the first game?  I mean, the first one was a success for them, why would they drastically change the style for the sequel?

I think the aesthetic choice for the game is fine kinda reminds me of zelda wind waker & also ties well with the first game. 

Now what your mentioning reminds me of Fairytale Fights, something I doubt trendy is going for.

Fairytale Fights was colorful, although the "skating on blood" thing was a bit over the top.

I think that the artistic style is very balanced. There are cute elements combined with awesome features (like how badass the squire's earth-shattering ability is)

Maybe it could use a little more awesome and a bit less cute, but honestly that's just an opinion, and as far as game development is concerned, it doesn't really matter. DD2 is going to be an AMAZING game, but I can't expect it to be tailored to all of my desires, and I don't think anybody else should expect it either. 

I actually really love this game take on explosions and fire. The old school Disney vibe is nice, albeit a little hard to watch for an extended period of time.

I'm completely biased on the DD look and feel, playing the other games makes it just feels familiar. I can see how new players might want to see more of a WOW semi-realistic look and feel.

Going to be tough to get a consensus from this, visual look and feel is very subjective.

Carry on apprentice_small.png

Turn off postprocessing mode. Turns everything darker and grittier for you.

I called it Diablo mode in dd1.

Besides that, if the shirt bothers you, get an accessory to cover it.

@dmvanmeveren quote:

Well maybe u can get a new cosmetic to cover the heart shirt. As for Betsy just call her something else like Bets or Wyvern mother or ignore the name and call her First boss. Plus i think it would be funny as hell to have Squire cannon shoot teddy bears at enemies

Although i would like to see darker style maps like in DD1 and i think they have some ideas for it cause when u pick a lvl for the forest on the map is a awesome looking graveyard / dark tower that looks like it will have some maps for it. Which by the art style alone looks awesome.