I've seen a few threads offering suggestions on how to motivate people to work as a group during the build phase, but ultimately I think many of them actually discourage teamwork by emphasizing the use of specific classes and locking players to those classes during play, ultimately limiting the strategies they can use and restricting players to either builder or fighter roles.

I think the solution to this problem is much simpler, though.  I think one of the biggest issues with building as a team is managing mana.  Since it's doled out evenly if each player opens a chest, you're likely going to have to transfer mana between players if you want to cooperate when building.  This can be a hassle and is only further complicated when players start picking up mana dropped by monsters during the combat phase.  I think it would be better to do away with mana management altogether and simply pool the mana between all players in the stage.  This speeds up the process and also allows players to see what mana is available to the party during the build phase rather than having to ask each other how much they have left.

As a secondary change to combat griefing with party mana, new towers and defenses should be sellable by the entire party.  This way you don't get people coming into a game and wasting party mana building useless defenses.  I know there must be a flag in game that determines when a defense was built since selling a new defense gives you back the full price, whereas a full health defense that was built in a previous build phase does not.  So it's better to only lock defenses if they meet two criteria, they were built in a previous phase and the builder (player, not character) is actively in the game.

I'm sorry but this just sounds like something that would ONLY work in a private game.

If everyone could sell all defenses and such, it would just be endless troll, or unwanted towers everywhere.

And everyone is racing around the map selling useless towers and they keep building useless towers.

It just doesnt get anywhere.

@ZirzoR quote:

I'm sorry but this just sounds like something that would ONLY work in a private game.

If everyone could sell all defenses and such, it would just be endless troll, or unwanted towers everywhere.

And everyone is racing around the map selling useless towers and they keep building useless towers.

People can be kicked from a game and the ability to sell towers allows a group to undo any damage a troll may cause.  Selling is also limited to towers built in the same phase, so you can't just go selling every tower on the map.  Maybe it would also be good to implement something where if someone is kicked from the game, there is an option to return all towers they built during that phase into the mana pool, just to simplify things.  Honestly, I don't see how this is worse than the potential aggravation they can cause now by simply raiding the chests and building a bunch of towers that are useless.  Griefers are going to find a way to be annoying no matter what you do, so you need to consider the positive more than the potential for abuse, which quite honestly isn't any higher than what we have now.  

And the whole point is to encourage communication and some cooperation on the part of the players.  It wouldn't stop a group from just delegating everything to one person, like they do now, but it simplifies the process of working together for those groups who don't want to just sit on their hands during the build phase.  It would actually be practical to work together to build defenses in the game because it would save time by limiting the amount of necessary class changes.

Right now, it's much harder to keep track of what the group is doing since you don't have any way of seeing the overall picture of how much mana other players have used or may need, so you're forced to keep tabs on that through the chat or voice options and then transfer mana to where it's needed.  Since the process is rather clunky, it's harder to delegate building responsibility to other people and much simpler to just have one person build everything and switch between classes to get the configurations they need.  That's kind of a failure in a game that's supposed to be team-oriented.

@ZirzoR quote:

Yeah, I can agree with this, the troll options are pretty high, in a public game, if I didn't like your "skills in positioning towers." I could sell off your contribution and add at my own will. This might actually lessen the contribution of all the players having to work together both in placement and in teamwork.

Yet you can also argue the opposite, that the troll options are pretty high now to simply place bad towers or purposely place useless towers just to waste group funds.  Meanwhile, the current system imposes barriers that make coordination impractical for most groups, hence the "give all the mana to one person to build" tactic that is so prevalent in games, now.  Allowing the selling of towers from the same phase at least opens the door for kicking disruptive players and undoing the damage they've done.  

And while some people may use it to block players from working contrary to their own plans, that's part of cooperative games.  Some groups are going to find more domineering players who want to take control.  You're not required to play with those people, though.  And I find that option better than people just kicking you from a game as soon as you do something they don't like.  It gives them a chance to lay down the law and you a chance to decide if their terms are acceptable or not.