Sign in to follow this  
Nexus

Community Development - Testing and Feedback

So at some point there will be some or a lot of new community made content, and I think it would be good if everyone could have a decent chance at having their stuff played and then be able to have good constructive feedback provided.

My experience with getting feedback is typically a frustrating process, and I truly don't want anyone to have to experience the same, or the worst, no feedback at all. Putting this up here, everyone whose played the game knows what they did or didn't like about certain levels and it will not be any different for community made content. Speaking from experience.

Coming to feedback, if you choose to provide it, the goal is to have it be constructive. That being said, some content coming out might be someones first time ever doing anything like this, so do keep that in mind if maybe some of the visuals (model placement, texture use) aren't 100%  professional looking.  And that maybe some of the gameplay balance isn't going to be at or better than Trendy's quality.  

I want to list some maps that are already up on the Workshop that maybe could use some playing and (possibly) feedback, to be considered for the first community content patch(by active authors):

Meltdown - Sanghelios

The Striking Tree - Sanhelios

Forgotten Depths - Sanghelios

Mines of Moria  - Sanghelios (renaming possibly necessary to avoid copyright problems)

Mystywind Falls  - me

Brookrift Keep - me

Temple of Polybius - Alhanalem

Rainbow of Death - Alhanalem

Port Etheria - Alhanalem

The Princess Quest - Daniel Snd

Dragon of the North - Daniel Snd

Lord Viles Arena - Daniel Snd

Rosika Sky Island - OtterDarkness

And if anyone knows of more or is working on a new map, I can add them to this list or a "pending release" list.

That is a good list.  Spook 3 was a great map as well as AkaTurkey.  Both were great challenges during the events.  I would be interested in possibly seeing those added as challeneges to Ranked.

EDIT:  Actually many of the event maps come to mind as possible.  Returnia might be interesting as well.

The event maps were good but are those Author's still active? It's hard to want to possibly add that content without their permission.  Which is why this list isn't longer, as there are some other maps up there from past competitions and works in progress that would be good additions too.  Just can't consider them to be additional ranked candidates for the future without their authors or the source map files.

I'm actually working on a remade version of rainbow of death; mostly the same but it should look much nicer :)

Also a few side projects but those would be a more down the road sort of thing.

Among others, I'd like to take a classic map and make an endless survival mode that's continuous like in DDE, but with breaks every so much time survived, and no maximum time limit. The player would have the option of quitting at one of these breaks and would recieve an end-of-map type reward, such that you could risk the reward and keep going, or stop and take the reward. :P

If there is any interest in the maps I did, you have my permission to add them into this :) not sure I have the original files though, but I could look for them in my old backups if needed.

@Alhanalem quote:

I'm actually working on a remade version of rainbow of death; mostly the same but it should look much nicer :)

Make it a bit harder please ! Those giant ogres with only about 20M HP were disappointing :(

I would really love to see the Crystalline Dimension Assault map (True Crystalline Dimension) on Ranked.

@Akasame quote:

@Alhanalem quote:

Make it a bit harder please ! Those giant ogres with only about 20M HP were disappointing :(

I would really love to see the Crystalline Dimension Assault map (True Crystalline Dimension) on Ranked.

At the time it was  made it was barely beatable :p we'll see about ramping things up a bit faster :P

As for event maps, we can pretty easily reintroduce the POLYBIUS arc as everyone who was involved with that is still around. Realm part 2 will likely need some modification for copyright concerns though (and to make the boss a little easier to understand)

@Daniel Snd quote:

If there is any interest in the maps I did, you have my permission to add them into this :) not sure I have the original files though, but I could look for them in my old backups if needed.

And Taniel Music was someone else right?   

I appended the list with Daniel Snd's maps.  And if anyone else has others, with author approval, i will also add these into the list, that are currently on the workshop.  And if anyone plays one of the maps listed and has some constructive feed back, ( Find a spot where monsters get stuck? Really love the light scheme, but it seems broken somewhere?  Too easy for certain difficulties?) things like this fall into "constructive" or "Helpful"..  do feel free to post it here, or if the authors are in fact on the forums, send it to them in PM too,  it makes a difference.

Alright, me and Otter started playing some of these maps, I will update the list every time we play a new one:       ( When I talk about difficulty, do remember i'm on the high-end side )

Mines of Moria : Freaking amazing, good quality, good difficulty, fun waves ( Mega ogres, bosses, a balrog even! ) and nice and fun rewards.
Possible Fixes for Ranked : I believe this is fit for ranked already.

Rainbow of Death : Fun and chaotic map, am excited to see what the new one will be like!
Possible Fixed for Ranked : Lag to the point of unplayability , if you can improve the lag and maybe add Silent Night - esque DU scaling per wave I think it could be a really fun challenge.

The Striking Tree : Beautiful, incredible amounts of detail, good difficulty, good DU balance and nice rewards.
Possible Fixes for Ranked : The rewards could maybe use a nerf I think. Mostly fit for ranked.

Mistywind Falls : Gorgeous map, super fun jump puzzle chests to get, fun boss, cool custom chest model and all around a nice map.
Possible Fixes for Ranked : Weird visual glitches when you go to overlord mode on summoner, auras on the lower half of the map just straight up didn't work ( probably because of the water ) , maybe change the amount of mana in each chest and add some specific rewards.

Port Etheria : Looks really nice, the super wyverns in each wave make it quite fun and the miniboss and boss was a cool addition. 
It felt like it was too big. The boat area was nice, but the port and the castle felt empty in a way. Don't think it's fit for ranked =(

The Forgotten Depths : It looks really good! , full of stuff and cool places, secret area to find, fun boss, and the rewards were pretty awesome ( Gatling Gun hyype ) . 
Possible Fixes for Ranked : Rewards may need a slight nerf

Meltdown : Really fun and nice map, good difficulty and good DU balance.
Possible Fixes for Ranked : Only the host got rewards when we played, and the last waves were a bit anticlimactic ( Maybe add some difficulty =D )

Brookrift Keep : Brilliant map, beautiful, big, full of stuff, fun, and it's even staged in 3 parts!
Possible Fixes for Ranked: The DU scaling added a bit too much, maybe cut down on DU and add some specific rewards, it's mostly fit for ranked as is.

Daniel Snd's Maps : They are brilliantly made and hilarious, but it doesn't really feel right to replay and after a while it may get boring, not to mention that they're mostly based around a level 0 character in normal mode. Don't think it's fit for ranked =(

I'm still around for the most part, and am willing to work on any of my maps, so you can add them to the list (Myin's too, since that's my alternate account made to bypass the steam workshop limits). I'm fairly certain I have all the original files too, so there shouldn't be an issue there.

Zularis

Thanks for the feedback on all that. Really appreciate you taking the time to play the maps and post back here. 

Mischief

Are any of your maps original builds or just modded Trendy maps? 

Rosika Sky Island  Feedback -

Overall not bad for a first map! 
- waves 9 to 12, a goblin copter with an ogre spawned at the back of the level and got stuck so I had to wait for them to die.
- There is a shrub on the terrain that doesn't have any material on it behind one of the spawned chests.
- Lighting, I know this is a WIP so as you change things, you'll probably tweak the lighting around a lot.  I'd suggest changing the dominant light to reflect your skybox as far as color and mood. Seems like it would be a night time map with that sky you've chosen. 
- Difficulty, I played this on medium with my maxed out Squire and it was pretty challenging. Might want to consider doing maybe a little more DU  ( 92 - 96 ish) , as 85 doesn't quite allow for a lot of room to build, especially considering the lanes are very wide in places.

-Terrain, deffinitely want to tessellate your terrain a level or to up and detail it a little more, make your paths towards the crystals smooth. They're already okay, but you've got plenty of room to work with to improve it.

-Enemy number balance playing seemed like it was alright for the difficulty I played it on.

I'm here to make a suggestion to you dear map makers.

I am interested in harder boss fights. I'm looking forward for some Old One/style fights (ability to One shot players), maybe some weak points or moments of weakness too.

I'm not the only one, I've been talking with a friend saying that DD bosses are a joke, it's true, for almost every boss in the game you just have to hit it until it dies (except for the Old One that requires to jump).

Maybe some of you are capable of making such interesting boss fights. It would be more interesting to have harder bosses than just increasing enemies hp/dmg/speed an number of enemies themselves to make a map challenging. It would make the game a bit less repetitive. If one of you is interested in making such a thing, then please make a practice map too.

@Akasame quote:

I'm here to make a suggestion to you dear map makers.

I am interested in harder boss fights. I'm looking forward for some Old One/style fights (ability to One shot players), maybe some weak points or moments of weakness too.

I'm not the only one, I've been talking with a friend saying that DD bosses are a joke, it's true, for almost every boss in the game you just have to hit it until it dies (except for the Old One that requires to jump).

Maybe some of you are capable of making such interesting boss fights. It would be more interesting to have harder bosses than just increasing enemies hp/dmg/speed an number of enemies themselves to make a map challenging. It would make the game a bit less repetitive. If one of you is interested in making such a thing, then please make a practice map too.

Boss fights, ideally are supposed to be designed to be accomplishable by everyone, which is the very reason why they seem easy mode. DD is admittedly very casual friendly in that respect, and I have to agree with such a practice, from a design stand point. As a modder however...

Harder boss fights are do-able.. but you don't get to have your cake an eat it! There is no practice mode for the Dark Souls series bosses, and so tougher fights for DD should not come with a practice mode either, because that just completely defeats the point of asking for a harder boss.  You get casual or you get hardcore.  oldone.png  (my view point doesn't reflect any of the other modders/coders opinions unless they state otherwise.)

Yeah anyway, the practice mod on CD was usefull only because of, the limited lives (without hc), and the mana bomb bugs. I forgot that when I wrote my post.
Still make harder bosses !

I also like the practice mod itself (Old One), I would like to have it on ranked without reward just to play it with friends, cauz that's the only part I like in CD...

A practice mod doesn't need to be on ranked. Export your ranked save and play it on open, which is perfectly suited as a practice environment to begin with. You can still play it with friends. We don't need to add a map to ranked if it gains nothing from being on it.