Sign in to follow this  
q3railgun

Just wanted to say....

Thanks Trendy for not closing the door on DD1 and listening to the community. Best of luck to Acen for taking a lead role on the 2nd community patch and long live DD1. 

Thanks but it is not exactly a lead role.  It is more like just helping out to get things going.  Once the team is put together, who knows where I will be helping out.  

Nevertheless, it is exciting to see all that is happening and I am really interested to see what updates Trendy has planned and what the community team will come up with.

Yay us! Yay Trendy!! Yay DD!!! I too don't have much to offer but will do what I can when I can to keep DD going strong :)

@Veetoo quote:

Sadly I have no skills or Id volunteer to help, good luck to the future team !!

My thoughts exactly. I still can't make stairs without stamping 20 times or more, and I have no idea how the Kismet works.

Sadface.

I will try and keep doing some "How-to" live streams over the weekends in the evening hours, if people are interested in learning about setting up levels.  I'm thinking I will create a better base Level_Template for people to use that has more Kismet setup already so that anyone less experienced can have a more Plug-n-design experience.  Maybe a a variation or two that have spawner's setup already and people can just move them around to their liking however they want their levels to look.

If everyone is interested in having such templates, do let me know, the more people interested the more I'll be inclined to get it all setup.

i am def still in the learning stages but the map building is starting to click for me. the streams have def helped to fill in some blanks for me 

Like the others here, I'm also more than happy to assist anyone who wants to get involved. I'm quite good with level scripting in Kismet and creative use of matinee, so dont be shy if you need help :)

@Aguleb17 quote:

@Veetoo quote:

Sadly I have no skills or Id volunteer to help, good luck to the future team !!

My thoughts exactly. I still can't make stairs without stamping 20 times or more, and I have no idea how the Kismet works.

Sadface.

Kismet is really quite easy once you get a feel for it. Just think of it like a flowchart. Starting points on the flowchart are called Events, and they are "fired" every time a specified thing occurs- such as a trigger in the map being activated, a player dying, or even just loading the level. Then you simply link up actions to perform (and possibly conditions for those actions, like comparing some numbers for example) to make magic happen!

As an example, you could create an area in a map that heals (or kills) everyone or everything that enters it:

1) Make a volume in the map (can just be a simple cube). Select it by clicking on it, and open up kismet with the green K icon on the toolbar at the top of the editor.

2) Right click anywhere in the kismet window to bring up a menu which contains all the kismet objects. You'll see a submenu "Event using <name of the object you currently have selected in the editor>". Choose Touch.

--2a) You may want to look at the properties at the bottom part of the window, and change "Max Trigger Count" to 0 so it can happen an unlimited number of times.

3) right click somewhere else in the Kismet window, point to Actions, then Actor, and choose "Modify Health." Look at the properties below, and set the Amount to anything you want. If you want it to heal things for that amount, check the "Heal?" box. If you want it to do damage, leave that unchecked.

4)Right click on the pink triangle (we call these "connectors") below the event you created in Step 2 (it's labeled "instigator"), and choose "Create new object variable." This will store the name of whatever thing that causes the event to activate.

5) left click and drag from the pink square connector labelled "Target" on the Modify Health action, drag over to the variable you created in step 4, and release. This tells the Modify Health action what to modify the health of.

6) Click and drag from the black "Touched" connector to the "in" connector on the Modify Health action. This means that when the Event occurs, Kismet will follow the arrows on our "flow chart" from the event to the "Modify Health" action and perform it. You can link any number of actions together to perform several in sequence.

(i had intended to post a picture of what this should look like but the forums are being *&^#$ and not letting me do it)

As you make more complicated kismet, you will want to move objects around so you don't get lost. to move objects around, hold down the Ctrl key and then click and drag the object around. You can zoom in/out on the kismet with the mouse wheel.

If you have trouble understanding this I'd b e happy to use skype or TeamViewer or even do a stream to show you.