Sign in to follow this  
Dogs

New gamemode: Dungeons / Raiding , Can you defeat the goblin Lair?

This post is being updated everytime i get a good idea supported by someone for example in the comments.

Includes:

-a Big map with alot of seperate rooms coul

- Randomized map! <-- This is important , it shouldn't be like someone just leads the way.

-4 players or more (more would be more fun but i am unsure if you are capable of doing such a thing with more)

-Mobs (ofcourse)

-Boss

-Treasure Boxes

-Treasure Keys

Possible:

Dead ends

Explanation: Dungeon's is a gamemode where you walk a path of alot of rooms that close everytime you all enter in the room , this will mean that after you leave the last room you won't be able to get back and only will be able to progress if you kill all the monsters that are spawning in that room so it would be helpfull if you sell your turrets from the last room and take the gems that you have left with you ( because of that this requires alot of tactical play) the rooms start to get bigger and bigger till after a while you reach a boss room , here a boss is waiting for you protecting his treasure that you are attempting to take from him , this takes alot of strategy and teamwork as you will need to move the turrets the whole time also whenever you die there is no returning anymore , whenever you die you can only spectate and you won't be able to come back till the next room , this adds some more difficuilty to it as so you don't just run in and do everything yourself. (mana is collected in every room , so 1 wave)

Maingoal: The maingoal of the Dungeon is to get to the treasure of the boss whilest fighting off monsters every room and whilest your protecting for example someone that is lockpicking the door to the next room. If that person that is lockpicking the door or item gets destroyed you lose you also lose if everyone dies as if you die you should spectate and not respawn till the next room this is pure for difficuilty and could be adjusted if needed.

Boss: The boss should be a strong monster with around a million hp , depending on the difficuilty , this should not be anything that has been seen before but it could easily be somehting like the goblin king a big goblin with a crown on his head sitting on his throne with his treasures right beside him.

Forge: There will be no forge at all in these maps so whenever you enter the dungeon there is no way back anymore than to win or all die. So the herodeck will be unavailable so be wary of whenever you enter the dungeon!

Dead ends: As suggested there could be dead ends this means that you will have to fight monsters just like any other room but there is no way to continue meaning that you will need to backtrack after you have cleared out the rooms. There is no need to add this feature but it would be nice to have something like this.  (End of dead ends contain Treasure Key stated below)

Loot (whilest in rooms): There should be no loot spawns to nearly none , the only thing you get whilest progressing trough the rooms is mana that you can collect in every room and at the end you can steal the boss his treasure if you are able to defeat him , this will include good loot ofcourse and is the main thing why you should have started the dungeon ofcourse gold drops from enemies. For more info about loot check treasure boxes and treasure keys

Treasure boxes: At the end of the map after defeating the boss there will be treasure chests where loot comes out off like the treasure chests on the end of every map right now but these treasure chests are diffrent you open them with a key there are 4 treasure chests for every player the more keys you collected the more treasure chests you can open , you can collect keys by the thing stated below

Treasure Keys: Treasure Keys treasure keys are keys that are collected by for example killing the end boss or following a dead end this is only to increase the difficuilty for yourself ofcourse but it pays off if you find a dead end you didn't do it all for nothing , you can find a treasure key these are used to open treasure boxes as stated above , treasure boxes can drop anything from wyvern tokens to legendary items to just gold.

Map: ( This is just a example!)

Red x = Dead End 

-Green = Mana chest

S= Spawn 

Manachest: 100 mana each players

Room 1 : Goblin and mobs that are easy to kill around 

Mana chest:  50 mana each player

Room 2:  A bit harder monsters also you now get explosive mobs

Manachest: 50 mana each player

Room 3:  Orcs are now added within all the other smaller mobs 

Manachest: 70 mana each player

Room 4: Dragons are now added with the rest of the monsters

Manachest : 100 mana each player

Room 5: Flying enemies come now from 4 directions with all the rest of the monsters

Manachest: 150 mana each players

Room 6: Miniboss: Ogre (or something like that) flying enemies from 6 sides and the rest of the monsters

Manachest: 150 mana each player

Room 7: 2 Miniboss (Ogre or something) and flying enemies from 4 sides

Manachest 300 mana each player

Boss: Goblin king (Hp depending on difficuilty) and no flying enemies only orcs and goblins from 6 sides + 2 ogres

Treasure: Good loot.

tApZltS.png

IF PICTURE NOT WORKING : http://imgur.com/tApZltS 

Will you fall prey to the dungeon or will you come out as the King?

Give me your ideas!

Community ideas i really liked and should possibly be changed from my idea:

Community ideas : a way to speed things along between rooms. Making people sell their defenses before progressing adds a lot of tedium between waves. A simple solution is to have the sell value of the towers added to the mana chests in the next room. Then nobody has to worry about running around selling towers, the mana is just forwarded after the round. Also, maybe implement a timer after each wave indicating how long people have to pick up mana before the screen pops up to vote on the next room. 30-45 seconds is probably enough. Gold can just be added automatically (not sure why it even appears on the ground) and loot is just added to the timed bag if you don't pick it up. I understand the need to sell towers since that is the element that allows players to build up their defenses as they progress, but this process and the time spent in the room at the end should be made as quick as possible to keep the game moving. I could see this being a really big sticking point for less coordinated groups.

----> Favourite idea so far , Community idea: here's no real reason to use one big map instead of having several maps and a way to decide how to progress from map to map. I'd recommend making the maps thematically similar, but once a wave is complete and the players are ready to move on, an overlay pops up showing you where you are in the dungeon and what your options are for progressing. Then the players vote on which direction they want to proceed in with the host breaking ties. This would seriously speed things up for groups that can't decide rather than having people running around between the corners of the map trying to get everyone into one room.

Community Idea: Longer respawn timer , remove the idea of death without return and replace it with a longer respawn timer

Community Idea:  Maybe the paths are magically sealed and they are in the middle of the map casting a counter-spell that unlocks all the doors at once , ''This idea i found better than lockpicking but lockpicking was mainly a example i showed''

Community idea: Rather than remove the forge entirely, I would suggest having a small spawn room that has a forge in it. Otherwise, the game might start while you doing something in the Tavern on the wrong character and then what?

If you really want, you can make it so you cannot get back into this special spawn room after you leave, for example put it on a ledge you can't jump up to. This way, if you die you can change characters to adapt to a new challenge, but you can't just run back every time.

'' This could be a really good idea , place 1 forge every amount of rooms or make a special room that after you leave you can't change

The only thing I would suggest is dead ends and a changing map. This would keep every play through fresh and fun.

I think your idea has merit Dogs. Having a team commit to a hero load out for the raid would mean you would see difficulty spikes in certain rooms compared to others. Obviously, this would work better with more than 4 heros to chose from.

By saying "whenever you enter the dungeon there is no way back anymore than to win or all die", i'm taking that as you commit to the raid, and then you go for as far as you can, then if you wipe you have to start again? Like WOW? 

Anyway - definitely worth a discussion on. Have a like.

@T-Chimp quote:

I think your idea has merit Dogs. Having a team commit to a hero load out for the raid would mean you would see difficulty spikes in certain rooms compared to others. Obviously, this would work better with more than 4 heros to chose from.

By saying "whenever you enter the dungeon there is no way back anymore than to win or all die", i'm taking that as you commit to the raid, and then you go for as far as you can, then if you wipe you have to start again? Like WOW? 

Anyway - definitely worth a discussion on. Have a like.

Thats exactly what i mean , whenever you enter there is no way back anymore than win or you all die and need to start over.

I have edited the post with the ideas stated above , anymore help is always appriciated

Different game modes would be really cool, I definitely agree with that.

Like a reversed Tower Defense, so you gotta assault the NPCs to destroy a core maybe. I loved the assault maps in DD1 and your idea seems to improve that mode further. Maybe there could be those two different additional game modes at one point in the future. I would love that.

Looks like a fairly interesting idea. Would make for a great 3-4 hours of gaming per game by the looks of it. Could perhaps be too long for this sort of game? Wouldn't know of course until it is implemented. Also the look prospects would make this one of the best ways to aim for loot other than Onslaught (due to the influence vote choices). It also opens up the game for slightly different style of players while remaining true to a tower defence. I could see it also helping add to the lore of the game. Perhaps on harder difficulties you could make it when you walk into a room the timer for the game to start automatically starts counting down, meaning you only have a finite time to place defences so everyone doing harder difficulties will benefit from doing the lower ones?

@Dogs quote:

Dead ends: As suggested there could be dead ends this means that you will have to fight monsters just like any other room but there is no way to continue meaning that you will need to backtrack after you have cleared out the rooms. There is no need to add this feature but it would be nice to have something like this.  (End of dead ends contain Treasure Key stated below)

I was just reviewing this thread and really like the thinking behind this suggestion. The one thing that I think could get a little tiresome when doing multiple runs of a dungeon is the dead end mechanic. Imagine having bad luck and hitting 2/3 dead ends in every run, might get a little tedious?

How about Dead Ends become something different. For example, a dead end becomes a 'reverse dungeon'. This is where all of the defenses are already in place and you have to delay the enemy long enough for the locals to evacuate? In this mode you start at the enemy spawn points and it relies more on crowd control and hero attack stats to win the day. Maybe the mode could be called evacuation? This could also have a reward if you save enough locals you get to skip the previously completed room.

Sorry I'm tired today, does that make sense?

This is a great game idea and I appreciate you spending a lot of time thinking this through.

However, as much as I like this, it doesn't feel like dungeon defenders anymore.

For me it feels like forcing a complete different kind of game into dungeon defenders.

If I play dungeon defenders, I'd like to play a tower defense game where I'm building up a strong base with friends and see how long we can hold out before getting overrun by the enemies force.

Maybe you should try to post your idea into the DD1 forum and you might find a team of dedicated people making a mod to bring your idea to life and I'm sure a few players will enjoy it - but please let DD2 stay the tower defense game it is, because that's what we're all here for and that's what we all enjoy.

@Tigrosaur quote:

This is a great game idea and I appreciate you spending a lot of time thinking this through.

However, as much as I like this, it doesn't feel like dungeon defenders anymore.

For me it feels like forcing a complete different kind of game into dungeon defenders.

If I play dungeon defenders, I'd like to play a tower defense game where I'm building up a strong base with friends and see how long we can hold out before getting overrun by the enemies force.

Maybe you should try to post your idea into the DD1 forum and you might find a team of dedicated people making a mod to bring your idea to life and I'm sure a few players will enjoy it - but please let DD2 stay the tower defense game it is, because that's what we're all here for and that's what we all enjoy.

As this is a tower defence game it is always fun for something new and see if people enjoy it or not.

@Tigrosaur quote:

Dungeon Defenders 2 Is a tower defense game and as i was stating you use towers to keep yourself the objective that you need to protect in every room safe the only thing i limit is how much mana you can use for every room  still making it a tower defense styled gamemode. Just because your not defending its not towerdefense anymore? That seems kinda odd to me

Tower defense is a subgenre of real-time strategy video games, where the goal is to stop the enemies from reaching a specific point on the map by building a variety of different towers which shoot at them as they pass. 

As i said there is still a objective to protect in every single room that you need to protect with towers or you will be overrun the rooms just change meaning you can't upgrade everything to tier 5 because you lose mana everytime you sell something to take it to the next room to make a completely diffrent setup this just forces the playerbase not to sit on their asses whilest the third or fourth wave comes as there is always only 1 wave in a complete diffrent room , maybe right now.

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding your game mode idea, but let me do the following challenge:

Beat Forest Crossroads, Liferoot Forest and The Wyverns Den in order on hard incursion, without changing the character, dying or looting any chest which spawns after the first wave of every map.

How would this be different to your game mode idea ?

Instead of rooms you have to beat the maps in order and your limited mana is done by restricting the players not to use a chest after the first wave of every map.

We could include every map there is already for this challenge, thus we're saving the incredible long work on creating special rooms.

And the final map has a boss on it (since we only have one, The Wyverns Den it is.)

@Tigrosaur quote:

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding your game mode idea, but let me do the following challenge:

Beat Forest Crossroads, Liferoot Forest and The Wyverns Den in order on hard incursion, without changing the character, dying or looting any chest which spawns after the first wave of every map.

How would this be different to your game mode idea ?

Instead of rooms you have to beat the maps in order and your limited mana is done by restricting the players not to use a chest after the first wave of every map.

We could include every map there is already for this challenge, thus we're saving the incredible long work on creating special rooms.

And the final map has a boss on it (since we only have one, The Wyverns Den it is.)

Your understanding the gmaemode clearly wrong , might want to read over it all again.

This is a dungeon not just a map

Whilst the thread has slowed, I'd just like to say that I liked this idea as a longer end game variant. Nice work, and as always, carry onapprentice_small.png

i like the idear.

But i also think that dead ends could be annoying, maybe give them rewards at the end like a bonus chest with something in it or a mini boss thats drops loot, so the time isnt 100% wasted. ^^