Sign in to follow this  
I_PASS_BUTTER

Guard Captain, Wyvern Tokens & Daily Quests (Pets & Dragons)

In the Pets & Dragons patch, we introduced the Guard Captain, an NPC that gives you Daily Quests. Completing a quest will give a player a new currency called a Wyvern Token. Wyvern Tokens can be exchanged at the Adventure Shop for prizes. What do you think, Defenders?

I like the idea of a special vendor that yields rare items with tokens, that's a good idea in my opinion.  I don't, however, like it being time-locked.  I could care less if someone spends hours on end to grind these tokens, I don't really have that competitive mindset.  But I do dislike being unable to get more tokens when my play schedule isn't on a daily or consistent basis.  We can't even offer feedback on the uber glyphs, because it will be impossible to have one until a month from now.

@Valthejean quote:

I like the idea of a special vendor that yields rare items with tokens, that's a good idea in my opinion.  I don't, however, like it being time-locked.  I could care less if someone spends hours on end to grind these tokens, I don't really have that competitive mindset.  But I do dislike being unable to get more tokens when my play schedule isn't on a daily or consistent basis.  We can't even offer feedback on the uber glyphs, because it will be impossible to have one until a month from now.

Yeah, I agree with you. Having to wait for about a month to get the Uber Spheres really bothers me, too. But I guess Trendy did that to make sure, people are coming back to this game daily, at least for the next few months. But the problem with that is, as you said, that we can't give feedback about them, so there might be bugs that are unknown and can further influence the game in a negative game. I mean, like bugs stacking upon one another if that is possible :D

@Valthejean quote:

I could care less if someone spends hours on end to grind these tokens, 

But I do dislike being unable to get more tokens when my play schedule isn't on a daily or consistent basis.

Agreed. I don't think it's cool to artificially gate progress like this. One of the things I loved about DD1 was that I was progressing through the game on my own speed and on my own terms. I didn't care that there was someone out there with gear a hundred times better than mine or whatever. I had my own goals and at any given moment I could sit down and progress towards them. That was such a welcome change, being a veteran of several MMOs, which gated progress like mad.

It's better to reward players for returning regularly, instead of punishing those who don't. I doubt anyone sees this token system as a reward for regular players, but rather as a sort of punishment for irregular players.

I would much more inclined to think: "Damn, I missed the daily quest, now I will get reward X a day later", instead of: "Woah! I did the daily quest, now I will get reward X a day sooner!". While some might see this as a "glass half empty/full"-sort of argument, I think it's quite different.

To reiterate, I don't care about the progress of other players or that player X got reward Y first. What I do care about is that I get something later than I could have, because I played for several hours over the course of a weekend instead of playing for 30 minutes every day of that week. Or because I had a busy day that one time and couldn't find time to play. Or those few hours you have spare that one day your ISP/client/PC/whatever is acting up. Or that I'm going on a trip for a few days and won't be able to play at all.

Don't make playing this game a chore, keep it fun :3

With love, Jigmz - the guy who plans his life around video games

I think that for usual player like me it's not to good way of doing 

one uber cost 60 wyvern tokens so if you win 3 each time you finich a map it thakes 20maps to have one uber.

so if you want all of them you need to finish 80 maps, so i'll have them in 1 year !!!

Every time the same three maps... hopely i'm not getting bored just tryng getting the uber...

There has got to be a better way to get the dragon coin dealys. Add like 25 more dailies you can get from that guy (optional ofc) or make it something we can farm from the besty level on 25+++.

But as it is right now...there's no way in the near future I'll even get to try out one of the ubers =\

I like that there are tokens I can buy keys with, and gives me an alternative to real life money.

I do NOT like that character specs are gated behind a HUGE time sink.

Make Ubers cost 500k gold, or 15 wyvern tokens.

OR, make Betsy drop 1-3 tokens per run, and make the chests at the end of matches, drop a decent amount of them. 3-5 sounds like a good number.

The current incarnation is good, but there simply needs to be MORE income.

@Tristaris quote:

I like that there are tokens I can buy keys with, and gives me an alternative to real life money.

I do NOT like that character specs are gated behind a HUGE time sink.

Make Ubers cost 500k gold, or 15 wyvern tokens.

OR, make Betsy drop 1-3 tokens per run, and make the chests at the end of matches, drop a decent amount of them. 3-5 sounds like a good number.

The current incarnation is good, but there simply needs to be MORE income.

I like the idea of chests giving them and betsy dropping them o.o That's nice. I don't think that 20 days for a single uber is reasonable. 

Agreed, [[76987,users]].

It would make the chests actually worth looking forward to, since legendary chests just simply don't exist lol.

Going to repost what I've said in the Monster Token thread since this is the official feedback thread :)

The main issue I'm having with the current implementation of tokens is that it is character development that is being locked. Character development is a huge part of the game. While leveling we are introduced to our towers, our abilities, the different rarities of gear, the different type of gear, how to combat certain waves it's all great fun.

Now with the new skill sphere system we can add unlocking slots and purchasing skills spheres to that list as you earn the right to unlock different slots as you level up. Until you reach level 25. At level 25 your almost ready with your character except that last slot is empty, you've unlocked it and your ready to go but that skill sphere is out of your hands for at least another 3 weeks of daily playing.

They can put whatever other rewards they want behind the current system. Cosmetics, Keys, Pets, you name it and it can go behind a time gate but it would be better if Trendy included other forms of gating. I'd LOVE to see more types of gating, gating that encourages playing the game, just not artificial time lockouts. 

We could have Tokens earned in different ways aka

• Kill X amount of Y
  • Complete X content Y times
  • Reach wave X (assuming onslaught here)
  • Complete X map on Y difficulty in Z playlist
  • Swap X amount of gold for Y tokens (Significant ratio for this one is required)

Moving away from the tokens and we could have rewards given for

• Achievement completion
  • End of level reward chest
  • Reaching X wave (Assuming onslaught again)
  • Daily Missions
  • Adventure rewards (that are not first time completion rewards)

Or we could even go full RNG and not have specific rewards and instead only have them obtained via loot drops. Is RNG on your side? 

Or finally we could have the following, This was brought up in my chat today on stream and had a great discussion. We could have unlocks tied to EXP similar to the costume system that was just implemented. We earn the base item either through loot drops, Gold or Minor tokens (Not overpriced). You then need to earn the EXP before you can unlock it's potential. It's almost like your given a shell of an item.

Personally I'm against going RNG but it's still better than an artificial time gate! People want to play how they want without being told they can't, that goes for both hardcore and casual players. 

I'm a firm believer of you get back out what you put into it. For example. If someone is willing to play for 7 hours in one day to earn an uber then they should be able to. On the flipside another person should then be able to play for an hour over 7 days and also earn an uber. Both players are happy, the only difference was how the time was spent.

I absolutely do not like the skill being locked behind this system. To the point I like the old system more.

Another similar game has this system where, the first time a player do a daily quest, he/she get a little extra.

I believe DD2 can progress the same way.

We can get an extra (or two) token for finishing the daily 1st time each day (so 2 and 5 tokens depending on difficulty), and get 1 or 3 tokens each time after.

To give it a slight bit of variation, the quest changes after each completion, so it doesn't go Betsy>Betsy>Betsy>Betsy>.... However, the quest will not be given out randomly, the quests are given out in a standard rotation, Crossroad>Liferoot>Betsy, so players can party up and do their adventure quest together and make new friends, without the need of quitting or arguing which map to do next.

If there are some adventure items that is deem to be better off time-gated, like cash items (keys), accessories, etc, the extra token from finishing daily 1st time can be replaced with a new type of once-per-day currency.

I like the idea of the wyvern tokens, but I dont like how they are limited to specific levels. Maybe they should be called something else (victory tokens?) and given out on all levels, maybe 1 per level completion for the first map set, then 2 for the second mapset, 3 for the third etc...

this way i'm not stuck grinding the same 3 levels, i get to play all levels in the game with a weighting to the higher levels.

I think there should be a balance according to the token prizes that it is possible to get the uebers in some kind of way earlier, since this are only the first 4 ueber and the devs already said there will be more for each hero...

...for example make Random Map Missions like at the beginning of the patch and then adjust the prizes for the things in the the rewardsshop. So Maybe with 3 Map in this random Map linie you could earn at incursions hard max. 12 Tokens...

If the keys should take the same time as before this means (a Key costs 9 Tokens which a 2 1/4 Days right now) that a Key would cost then 27 Tokens

The ueber cost now 60 which would be 15 Days. I personally would like to see it around maybe 7 Days which means (7 times 12 Tokens with the new system) 84 Tokens

The Betsy egg cost 180 Tokens which is nowaday 45 Days. As an prestige thing this even could take 60 Day like 2 month since the reward will be more exclusive and something really to grind for. If we would say it stays at 45 day it would cost 540 Tokens and if the 60 Days would come in it would cost like 720 Tokens.

...or like in the general discussion fourm already written by many just remove the uebers out of the rewardshop and insert there just something else ;)

The Adventurer shop and wyvern tokens is a solid concept. Locking ubers away behind them is not.

I'd like ubers to be unlocked via experience. After a player hits level 25, experience would be still important to unlock the uber slot.

Cosmetics unlock at 3.5 million experience, and that only took a few evenings to do. Unlocking ubers after a couple million experience would be quite fair.

@Valthejean quote:

Agreed. The daily mission time lock for Wyvern Tokens is stupid, as it is the only way to get Ubers.

As people have said before me, we want to see a way where we can earn more wyvern tokens then we currently do. Only 4 per day is really nothing. This makes it hard for us to actually test your uber spheres to see if they actually work as intended. Not to mention that this will make the game feel like a chore you need to do every day, which is counter intuitive. Allowing people to repeat the daily for a reduced reward seems like a good system. That way you reward the people who can play in bursts, yet also reward the players who can play each day, but only for a limited amount of time.

I also agree, holding skills hostage so we come back each day is a terrible idea. The skill spheres are not what is going to keep most people playing. New maps and new gear will. I would put skins, tower skins, accessories, themed pets like Betsy egg and really anything you can buy with the real money gems in the token shop. You can even keep the token income slow, I would add other ways to gain them though.

The Uber spheres should have a gold cost like all the others.

@Earthenlady quote:

As people have said before me, we want to see a way where we can earn more wyvern tokens then we currently do. Only 4 per day is really nothing. This makes it hard for us to actually test your uber spheres to see if they actually work as intended. Not to mention that this will make the game feel like a chore you need to do every day, which is counter intuitive. Allowing people to repeat the daily for a reduced reward seems like a good system. That way you reward the people who can play in bursts, yet also reward the players who can play each day, but only for a limited amount of time.

I actually don't mind the 4 per day we currently get - it's the fact that uber spheres are locked behind them that bother me.

Remove the uber spheres from the wyvern token shop, and put them behind exp points (similar to cosmetic unlocks). The time gate of 4 tokens a day is perfectly fine, as long as the items in the shop are things like keys and stuff. In fact, if gato/wyvern/creeper eggs were sold for a wyvern token a pop, I wouldn't mind that either.

I agree all what you say about the stupid token limit and have to something to say too: This is a Pre-Alpha! Why we have to wait for content? This makes no sense for me. I mean maybe in a beta its ok to wait some time to test something, but in a pre-alpha? Not realy... There are so few guys who play DD2, at 02:00 am german time there is nobody more ingame. So please dont let us wait like 20days of playing to test ONE "uber" or like 2 month for the "betsy egg" and maybe when we finally have one it has major bugs or something!

I hope you understand what i mean ;)

I think the consensus here is pretty unanimous. Making the tokens only obtainable from dailies is a horrible. And how do you expect to get feedback when its actually impossible to obtain ubers in less then a month...

I understand you want to make them a little more special and hard to obtain but this was not the way to do it. Furthermore the uber skill slot will remain empty for so long even when you are high enough level to use it. There should be some less powerful skills to equip there until you can earn an uber.

And finally the quests are too random, I had no characters at lvl 25 but it gave me a free play 25+ quest which was then literally impossible to complete and wasted an entire day worth of reward, which to be honest is too little already. For something you can only do once a day I feel like the rewards need to far more significant. and while I'm on the topic,  the other dailies are also very low rewards imo, i mean just by repairing and upgrading towers and using skills I'm getting achievement rewards that are at minimum 2x the daily rewards. This seems very lopsided.

Maybe keeping tokens only in the quests is ok, but it would mean that you have to beef up the number of tokens you are giving. 2 tokens a day?? cmon...

Getting access to the wyvern tokens isn't exactly fun.  Getting more tokens after getting the access takes too much time for most of the goods unless those goods are ridiculously game ending.  But if those were easier to get, then the money bypass would also become too easy.

Basically the wyvern tokens are used for too many different goals which ends up limiting them because of one issue but that limit ends up ruining the other use of the tokens.

Some sort of limiter is good, but as the system is now, it makes for a very disappointing sphere because the effort needed to get them is way too much for how little the sphere is going to do.

Take out the Ubers/Bettsy eggs from Wyvern tokens.. leave only Cosmetic and other things you can buy from Gems this keeps all your players happy..

Ubers need some other way to obtain.. ive suggested Skill requirements (achievements/endless rounds ect) around the forums

Bettsy Egg.. rare drop from Bettsy easy..

The other cosmetic stuff being locked to a time gate (daily quest once a day.. few tokens. blah blah).. keeps the players that cant afford to buy stuff happy.. they can get them it will just take forever.. just make dailys reward Gems instead of tokens... as a benefit thats one less ui feature to worry about ;) hell it removes the Adventurer store altogether.. maybe she can have another purpose ;)

considering the extreme gap in dd2 between players that grind/farm and players that are going to do the campaign and call the game finished. 

i personal think along with a lot of other players that the huge wall placed in front of the purchasable items you can get with tokens its not a good idea to have. its not fair to either side. new players are never going to get them vet players are never going to care after they get there first sets of ubers and they will have all the items in quantity. 

i agree with everything else everyone is saying. i'm just keeping my fingers crossed that you that the reason you guys made the time sink so large is to give you more time to actually finish them and release the finished product in a ninja release this week cant wait to see the ubers finished in Fridays stream. 

!love you trendy!