Sign in to follow this  
I_PASS_BUTTER

Costumes and Accessories (Pets & Dragons)

In the Pets & Dragons patch, we introduced Costumes and Accessories, giving you the ability to change and upgrade your Hero's appearance? How did we do? What do you all think of them?

The designs themselves for the costumes are really awesome.  Those who are responsible for their designs should be very proud of themselves.  On a side note (as the latest influence vote made me think of this), it would be really awesome to have dyes to change the colors of our costumes.

If I had a complaint for them, I'd say that they're a bit excessive on the pricing.  Since we wont be dealing with a wipe or "redo" on purchasing the skins, I don't want to spend my currency on them.  There's so much the currency buys already (costume or otherwise) that I could easily blow through my $100 or so and wonder where it all went.

Costumes already feel entertaining. I'm not sure if I want to spend currency on accessories just yet, but definitelly there is something to desire.

Costume navigaton menu is cumbersome. It ius not clear that accessories can be scrolled vertically, add some arrows or sliders to make that easier.

Lockboxes come in absurd amounts and feel tiring rather than encouraging. They should be something unique and precious, not flood your inventory.

Wonderfull, if I could change for example the head of my huntress (our special one because we are in the council yeah baby) with the body of other apparences like my werewolf tail it would be nicer, outherwise you are stuck in one set so why tryng to collect the others if you'll not use them...

For the rest you guys did a wonderfull job

BRAVO

The costume idea is pretty great, and leveling it up is interesting too, though the exp to level it up seems extremely steep.

i want to throw in too, that i think having the ability to have the alt gender of each class should be higher up on the priorities. Some of us like to represent our gender, so for us girls, it's kinda hard when the only girl is the huntress and her traps, alone, are pretty worthless and near impossible to defend with. Mind you i can manage, it's hard, but i can manage, but still, i strongly like variety in my game style and i hate being forced to use males chars just to do anything else.

So I think, that, if you arent going to add new heros anytime soon, you should at least add the alt genders as costume options. Much like you did for the barbarian, summoner, and jester in dd1. That would truly sell the costume thing for me and get me much much much more into this game lol

@Jojozityjo quote:

The costume idea is pretty great, and leveling it up is interesting too, though the exp to level it up seems extremely steep.

i want to throw in too, that i think having the ability to have the alt gender of each class should be higher up on the priorities. Some of us like to represent our gender, so for us girls, it's kinda hard when the only girl is the huntress and her traps, alone, are pretty worthless and near impossible to defend with. Mind you i can manage, it's hard, but i can manage, but still, i strongly like variety in my game style and i hate being forced to use males chars just to do anything else.

So I think, that, if you arent going to add new heros anytime soon, you should at least add the alt genders as costume options. Much like you did for the barbarian, summoner, and jester in dd1. That would truly sell the costume thing for me and get me much much much more into this game lol

I'm with you in this one. I actually think that there should at least be costumes to make heroes the opposite gender.There should also make some parts not kinda look the same, because I see them and I think they need more variety. The exp part I didn't like. Like you said it is quite steep.

The costumes look quite good and I am very impatient on about new costumes. :-) You did a great job creating those costumes.

The only (therefore really huge) downside: I was suprised we cannot mix the accessoires through the different skins. In my opinion this denies a lot of variety of how the players look and I also think this discourages in buying accessoires.

In my case I would already have bought/unlocked the Monk Skin if I was able to use my council accessoire with him. Same with the squire.

This is a lovely game and I enjoyed the first one and I'm so far loving the second. This second has soooooo much potential, so please, please, please, please don't *** this up. Also you can have the in-game currency, but please don't make this needed to be good. Leave the in-game currency points only for buying like special cosmetics. Also make the chests openable with gold not the in-game currency. I usually just sell my chests and never open them becuase simply I don't have any more in-game points left. The in-game points should buy like comsemitics with cool effects not really good weapons. Also don't go free to play, just don't. It'll *** everything up. 

One more thing, I read that if you buy the game early, which I did, your supposed to get a total of $36 of in-game currency. I'm not sure I got all of mine as I only started with 3,000. Are you gonna add the rest later or is that what ou feel like is worth $36?

From website:

Dungeon Defenders II Early Access comes with: 

$30 in-game currency 

4 Exclusive Hero Accessories 

7 Premium Inventory Bags [Limited Time Offer, Expires 5/5] 

$6 in-game currency & Exclusive “Veteran Defender” Title for owners of Dungeon Defenders or Dungeon Defenders Eternity [Limited Time Offer]

i got $36 worth of gems when i opened my mail for this patch.. i then bought the collectors and got another $100 so it does work.. maybe you need to check the mail box again ???

As far as art style is concerned I think some of the costumes are great.  As for the purchasing system, accessory system/unlocking?  I feel a little cheated.  The game doesn't make it clear when you buy the costume what you'll need to do to get the accessories.  For example, with the red riding costume, I thought it looked so cool with the drawing of what it will look like with acc and didn't pay attention to how it showed my character "wearing it" as I bought it.  After buying I realized "oh it does not look as cool but I guess I can get it that way."  Then I found out that I have to get exclusive wyvrn tokens by only playing a specific part of the game (which I had no access to due to my hero levels) or spend $ to get keys to unlock chests and none of the chests I've yet picked up have the accessories I want to make the costume better?

Simply put, I'm confused and at a little bit of a loss of how to get my accessories for the costume I bought so it looks like the drawing with the shadowed eyes, etc.  I like costumes, but I don't like paying for a system this confusing that leaves me scratching my head with no "in game" instructions on how to get there.

@draemn quote:

Simply put, I'm confused and at a little bit of a loss of how to get my accessories for the costume I bought so it looks like the drawing with the shadowed eyes, etc.  I like costumes, but I don't like paying for a system this confusing that leaves me scratching my head with no "in game" instructions on how to get there.

You have to play with the costume on and it gains its own XP to level up and get to the good stuff ;).. you can check that in the costume shop itself.. not that its really easy to see

I think they're pretty awesome and the price isn't that bad, sounds fair, however I'm an apprentice lover, but when looking at apprentice costumes and acessories i didn't feel either that much difference or that wish to go and buy it compared to the others characters. 

The main change is the hats and most of them don't really look as amazing as expected. I love the creativity behind most of those costumes but i feel like the apprentice costumes and accessories could use some more variation and some badass looks, i find most of the hats not to fit my character in a way that i think of a Wizard. 

Would love a old wizard costume, or a hatless apprentice, or a mummy styled. 

A apprentice on underwear. 

If it wouldn't be much work, a retro costume would be a big hit with dd1 I think. Take the exact characters from dd1 and have them as a full only set. So you can be all chibi and run around like in dd1 :D Lesser graphics and all, perhaps XD.

Plus variants. A goblin knight looking chibi squire etc.

Also to echo others. More color choices would be lovely. Just no droppable dyes please, unless we only have to get them earned once and use it forever. Betsy Purple, etc.

The costumes are really good looking and well designed but they can't really be much extended like the original ones, But mainly they are suitable for use. The only thing I would add is an opportunity to dye the clothes because it would be much colourful around. Overall what you should add is more costumes. :)

A thought about Legendary costumes :

Legendary costumes should be something very rare or extraordinary. Perhaps ones that are temporarily available (IE : Dragonfall or Holiday specific costumes)

@Gutu quote:

I think they're pretty awesome and the price isn't that bad, sounds fair, however I'm an apprentice lover, but when looking at apprentice costumes and acessories i didn't feel either that much difference or that wish to go and buy it compared to the others characters. 

The main change is the hats and most of them don't really look as amazing as expected. I love the creativity behind most of those costumes but i feel like the apprentice costumes and accessories could use some more variation and some badass looks, i find most of the hats not to fit my character in a way that i think of a Wizard. 

Would love a old wizard costume, or a hatless apprentice, or a mummy styled. 

A apprentice on underwear. 

Costumes look great. I agree the Apprentice could use a little love. Instead of underwear costume I vote he should have a bath robe or something along those lines. Towel as a hat, and a hair brush as a weapon

My only complaint so far is when using gems to unlock accessory chests that it is possible to get a repeat accessory. While the few times I did unlock a new piece was fun and exciting getting an accessory that was previously unlocked left a sour taste. 

Overall really enjoying the content, thanks for the update!

It would be really cool if changing each equipment would have an effect on the appearance of the character because I am currently playing the apprentice and the only thing that I could customize is the weapon slot (not including skins).

Personally I think the costumes look great, they blend well with the overall feel of the game and give some personality to players, really all I can ask for is to keep it that way, make sure the costumes (except for promos) stay within the design of the game, stay away from scifi, neon, and modern themes. Instead of having costumes being unnaccesable I think you should reserve the space that the dragonfall/item box/player bought content for skins that would change the character (different playermodel or gender) and have the dragonfall/item box/player bought content with all of the other current skins. Other than that keep up the good work

Need to do something about the repeats from chests. Not fun when you're spending real money.

I'm not sure why I even bothered unlocking lockboxes to get a random accessory. You can just go to the tailor click on the locked accessories and click purchase. You get what you want and no wasting money getting duplicates. Unless I missed something. Do lockboxes offer more?

On a side note the whole getting duplicate accessories wouldn't be so bad if you could trade them. ATM lockboxes feel like a waste of money to open.

@cheeseburglr quote:

I'm not sure why I even bothered unlocking lockboxes to get a random accessory. You can just go to the tailor click on the locked accessories and click purchase. You get what you want and no wasting money getting duplicates. Unless I missed something. Do lockboxes offer more?

On a side note the whole getting duplicate accessories wouldn't be so bad if you could trade them. ATM lockboxes feel like a waste of money to open.

Not only that, but most of the accessories cost a whopping 25 more gems than opening a lockbox. With the risk of duplicates and the ability to just unlock what you want, lockboxes just seem like a terrible gamble.

People used to point out that getting piles of lockboxes wasn't so bad, especially early on, because they sold for a respectable 500 gold a piece. Now they sell for 10.

I like the set alternative costumes, though they are expensive (ie the monk's ninja costume is very well done).   But I feel cheated on the chest items.  I've spent probably 2-3000 on if not more on opening chests only to get pretty mediocre looking pairs of pants etc and even then getting duplicates of the same items to boot.  150 gems for a lacklustre pair of pants is pretty bad.  A second pair of the same pants is terrible.  Would there really be a problem with preventing duplicates from being given?  Clothing items would probably have to be non-tradeable to prevent exploitation but if you are going for a rewarding lucky draw rather than something expensive and frustrating an anti-duping system might be the way to go.

That or just go straight out for a flat out cosmetic item store - but please keep the prices low and reasonable unlike some of those 'shall not be named' mmo's that gouge people $15 or more on a costume or reskin.

What I'm wondering is:

If the game enters beta (or releases), do we get 'refunds' for our bought costumes, or do we just keep them? Would be nice to try out some new ones :)