Sign in to follow this  
I_PASS_BUTTER

Pets and Eggs (Pets & Dragons)

It's hard to give a positive feedback about the pets when I couldn't even use the ones I got last night.  As a player, it's not enjoyable to see a lot of eggs flood my inventory, but know that only 1 or 2 of them are going to become anything.  It doesn't contribute a positive experience for me.  The pets themselves might be awesome, but if I were a new player who saw a mechanic like this, I'd pass for a different game, rather than come back to the game when they hatched (as the intention was).

Nice but we got no info like which kind of species is useful for DPS or Build

And 8 hours to wait that's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to long. Why we need to wait?

It's not the Simpson's Springfield, Clash of Clans or Sim city on my Ipad I'm playing...

Are we getting Giraffes For Builders or DPS pets Pierces true walls ?

Or maybe you hold them for the survival mode ;) Can't wait

if you really insist on having us on a timer. then allow us to reduce the time by bringing the egg along to fights to hatch it sooner. like exp would reduce the timer 1 hour for every 200k or something.

If you insist on keeping the timer at 8 hours, make it so every time we complete  a map, it reduces the timer on the incubation by 1 hour.

And for the love of everything that is holy, please add at least 2-5 more incubation slots (6 total, or one for each character, would be nice.)

SO many pets drop, and SO many are going to rot.

I think one major change that needs to happen is removing the egg from your inventory when you put it into incubation or at least make it VERY clear that the egg you have chosen is current in incubation. 

The reason for this is because I put an egg into incubation last night, then played a few maps and cleared my inventory before logging off. a standard night. I then come online expecting to have a new pet dragon only to see that my egg had vanished!

After much confusion I was told by an observant viewer on my stream that I had accidentally sold it. I did not notice this because 1. I assumed it went into the incubator (my mistake) and 2. the egg that is in incubation is only marked with a light border around its icon in the inventory. But so are the lockboxes and the pet food... I had no idea I sold it!

@Tristaris quote:

If you insist on keeping the timer at 8 hours, make it so every time we complete  a map, it reduces the timer on the incubation by 1 hour.

And for the love of everything that is holy, please add at least 2-5 more incubation slots (6 total, or one for each character, would be nice.)

SO many pets drop, and SO many are going to rot.

At the very least either increase the rot time or allow for limited storage in a "cooler"  to preserve a few eggs. 

[[57784,users]] I agree.   I found it odd that they were still in my inventory even while incubating. 

So forgive me for being a newb here but when i try to incubate the button I assume i'm supposed to press to BEGIN incubating says coming soon. Any thoughts here? I'm just been giving the eggs to vendors because I thought the actual implementation wasn't there yet and the actual update was hype for when you CAN have a pet.

@Baelzebub quote:

So forgive me for being a newb here but when i try to incubate the button I assume i'm supposed to press to BEGIN incubating says coming soon. Any thoughts here? I'm just been giving the eggs to vendors because I thought the actual implementation wasn't there yet and the actual update was hype for when you CAN have a pet.

In the Tavern where the pirate ship used to be are two shorter npcs.  The one on the right lets you hatch eggs.  After you open the Hatch window you can drag an egg to the left side of the screen and click Incubate.  The hatch timer will begin counting down.

The eggs have the same problem as lock boxes. You get more then you could ever hope to use. Already I will lose 8 in the next 49 hours assuming perfect hatching. Although it won't matter because I'll find 15 more in that time its annoying because it takes inventory space.  If the eggs had rarity like armor at least then I could make an informed decision on what to hatch.

Agree with general consensus. I completely ignore eggs now, they take too long to hatch, and they drop like wildfire. Possibly allowing us to hatch them with premium currency/gold would make them worth the pickups. I have only hatched a few so far, and the stats at this point aren't worth much, though I am sure stats and hatching will change in the future.

You want to know what I think of Pets?

Let me tell you straight up! No lies. No nonsense. No beating around the bush! You get the play-by-play breakdown.

Pets are damn terrible right now and I'll explain why in angry text-like detail.

At first, like any other player, we're hoping to get lucky and find this suppose elusive egg. Within the first 1-2 plays I get one. My reaction is like most, filled with the up-most amounts of joy and bewilderment. Then I place the egg to hatch and find out it will take 8 entire hours. For a moment I was annoyed but figured I'd be asleep or grinding during that time so no biggie. I go and start up another match and get 6 eggs within 3 waves. All of that joy, bewilderment and general positive reaction just died a little inside me. As the match continued and more eggs and Lockboxes filled my screen (that were on occasion difficult to loot, most likely due to their small hit box and the need to aim directly down at them) there was no joy left in me. I stopped looting them. Why? Well it's very simple! I went over to the Hatchery and attempted to hatch a second egg and noticed that I couldn't. This quickly meant that I have to wait 8 hours per egg and can only do 1 at a time. They were instant trash items as soon as I figured that out. Was there a means to rush the hatching of the Egg with Gems? Nope. Could I unlock additional slots to hatch more eggs in? Nope. Can I sell these useless eggs? Yes but for exactly 0 Gold. Freakin' AWESOME! I get absolutely nothing but wasted space.

But WAIT! There's more~! The Eggs don't stop dropping like Kobald Flyers near a weak tower. You get so many of them so often that it continues to devalue them since they still can only hatch 1 at a time and take 8 hours per one. When you're actually taking the time to use one of them, the darn things don't even leave your inventory! While they won't show on the Hatchery inventory and they also won't change the items info of Hatch Time: 8hrs 0s. So if you have two of the exact same kind of pet, you won't know which one of them is currently hatching and which one isn't. You literally have to remember where it was when you started the hatching. Then there is the fact that if you want to STOP an egg from hatching you literally have to find and sell the egg from your inventory. Why would someone want to stop hatching? Simple, I'm trying to get 1 of each type of the Cat Eggs. I got another Cat Egg to try and wanted to stop the dumb dragon one (No not the Betsy Egg, no one should have that yet) and even though I could get an egg icon to pop up when I dragged from the Hatching display, I couldn't stop it from hatching. I had to find and sell the egg just so I could start over.

Either the drop rate needs to be toned down or -the more likeable answer- is to speed up the process in some manner or another. We get too many to only be able to use 1 at a time. I wouldn't mind the 8 Hour wait if I can place multiple in the Hatchery. I wouldn't mind if people are able to rush the process with Gems. I wouldn't rush them myself but I still wouldn't want to take away the option for other people who do. Other people with less free time to play the game than I.

(Not sure if there is a different thread for this sort of thing. For now I'll leave it here)
Next comes their food. These "Pet Food Boxes" are almost as annoying as the Eggs themselves. You can easily get equal amounts of them as you would eggs. Is that a problem? Not really, not at least until you open them or collect a lot of them. Each one can give you a random food item to give your Pet experience. Great right? You want to horde the crap out of them because in 8 hours you'll be most likely needing tons of 'em, right?! Well, they don't stack. At all. You can easily have an entire 32 Slot bag be filled with nothing but "Quality Pet Food" (The Fishy) and or the rarely seen "Premium Pet Food" (Cake slice) Or, or the even RARER Exquisite Pet Food (Leg of Meat). I know you guys want to make all players feel the need to have more bags but that has already been done with Gear Items alone. Next is Lockboxes that fill up your inventory (I'll complain about those in the proper thread). We don't need Pet Food trying to add to the list of important things we already horde in large amounts. I'd love to say that all Pet Food Items should be in the "My Pet" Bag but if new players don't have one, my suggestion is useless. For now, I'll take the fact that I can place all Pet Food items themselves into the "My Pet" Bag as a happy thought and leave it there.

In a perfect world, I'd like the Pet Food Boxes to be stackable and all items that come from it but I'm willing to settle for just the Pet Food Items themselves. That way, if a person fills up on too many of them, they simply need to open them all and have space for the 1-2 or so, types of pet food. They'll still use inventory space and could slowly impact their need to buy more slots as they try to gather pieces of gear and whatever else they fancy, it just won't be so fast and so drastic.

So at the end of the day, you know what is happening to your lovely egg models? They stay all over the stage like towers in a match and when it's all over, they get left behind... like towers. There are people not picking them up because they can't use them and it's pointless to sell them. At this point, It would be more useful if you could trade them for Pet Food Boxes. At least those can have a use in the near future unlike someones 15th egg. (Also unless you're planning on trying to get 1 of each type of pet like myself, it becomes that much more useless for you)

My word, this is long and I haven't even talked about the Pets themselves. Ah well, I gotta get all the different types which will take 8 Hours each so... until next time!

P.S: to anyone who actually reads all of this... bravo... you need a huge cookie! Like, the biggest of all the cookies.

Edit: Added some new found issues here as I didn't want to make a new post about something so minor.

@Argick quote:

The reason for this is because I put an egg into incubation last night, then played a few maps and cleared my inventory before logging off. a standard night. I then come online expecting to have a new pet dragon only to see that my egg had vanished!

Wait... the incubated egg is still in the inventory?? F... I did not even realize because my inventory was crowded by eggs after a few hours of gameplay. And I am playing on low level because I wiped my heroes. o.O ...so what's happening on high levels then?

In my opinion it is inevitable to drastically lower the egg drop chance. Maybe lower the egg drope chance by 80 - 90% and therefore increase the chance for good quality by 10 - 20%

Is the mentioned pet evolution implemented yet? If yes then I have no clue how it is triggered or I did not find any ingame-hint by now.

One of the two pet-NPCs needs to provide a tutorial. Just a simple dialogue option I can click and then I see a speech bubble with the wiki explanation inside and I can click to scroll... or something like that. This would help a lot - especially once we get more new players.

About hatching for the first time:

I already met some people in the social tavern who were very confused and said they cannot hatch the eggs. Like me, some of the players think (when they do it for the first time) that they have to put the egg from the inventory to the top because there seems to be a hole. Instead we have to draw it to the left.

Please make the hole/circle on the top disappear and instead of the 2 arrows just make 1 curved arrow.

Sorry, I cannot make a screenshot of the scene I am talking of because I am currently hatching an egg but I think most of the people know the screen I am talking about.

edit: of course I forgot something

Please implement mousover tooltips also here: When I point my mouse at 'affection level' there should be a text saying something like'affection level is increasing as you are accompanied by your pet during fights'. A lot of confusion would vanish.

Maybe one of the pet-NPCs could take our gold to investigate our egg and tell us which one of the three possibilities it won't be. This would bring us from a 33% to a 50% chance and we would have a new way of wasting our gold. Since we are waiting 8 hours for our pet to be hatched this would save time and make a lot of people very happy because they can abandon eggs when their favorite pet is excluded by the investigation. (maybe a microscope investigation...)

=============

Also very important to say:

The pets look awesome. Since their implementation I am hoping to get a Mad Catter. The cat's meow is awesome and cute at the same time and I am pretty sure after a bit of polishing this pet system will be godlike. :-)

I pretty much have to concur with the sentiment that 8 hours to hatch a pet....yeah that's just not going to really work. Now if it was say 8 hours to hatch a legendary pet, and like 30 mins to hatch the base level pets, i could get behind that. But we don't have legendary pets yet (except maybe the betsy egg but thats going to take forever for anyone to grind out), and all we get is a bunch of eggs as everyone so far has said that are useless. Honestly i don't see a need for the 8 hour timer...i really don't even see the need for hatching at all. Why not just give us the pets. The pet food and everything else that you have implemented works peachy in my mind. Yeah it would be nice if pet food would stack, but i personally just feed everything i have to the pet im trying to grow after every tavern visit. So i personally don't have any need for them to stack at this point. So really the 8 hour timer is the only thing that makes me just go......uhhhhhhhhh yeah no. Especially since the pets we have access to hardly do anything at this point. I mean mine does like 110+ dps, so there is no way waiting for that long is actually needed or worthwhile for anyone involved.

@MasterOfLazyness quote:

P.S: to anyone who actually reads all of this... bravo... you need a huge cookie! Like, the biggest of all the cookies.

P.S.- i actually did read everything you wrote. SO GIMME MY COOKIE!!!! nom nom :-D

@furydemastio quote:

I pretty much have to concur with the sentiment that 8 hours to hatch a pet....yeah that's just not going to really work. Now if it was say 8 hours to hatch a legendary pet, and like 30 mins to hatch the base level pets, i could get behind that. But we don't have legendary pets yet (except maybe the betsy egg but thats going to take forever for anyone to grind out),

Maybe let us unlock somehow additional hatching stations or something similar to fertilizer that will decrease the hatch time.

I havent played, but if the eggs drop so much, thats just BS.

Eggs should be something of great worth. You may get one at the end of a finished level in maybe 25% (standard pet). And sometimes they could drop in the game itself and then they are always something special, like the pet has a higher starting level or an additional trait that increases your stats. Something where you definitely stop to get that egg and hatch it.

Also I havent read anything about stat raising pet feed? Like in Torchlight, where you could make your pet to a net-throwing spider for a short time. Here you could get a bit of bonus damage or resistance for one minute or so and you can only bring 3 on the map. And the power depends on pet trait.

The hatch time is kinda big. At the moment it doesn't really bother me, but having a bag full of eggs when that timer is 8 hours is just terrible, and THAT makes me sad. Either increase the amount of pets we can hatch at a time, or decrease the timer. Or you could even make them a bit rarer, 

As some others have already said, pet food needs to stack. Stacks of 20, 40,50 .... you name it, but it really needs. The boxes themselves could stack but that isn't really required.

Overall I'm enjoying the pet system, but those quality of life issues I've just mencioned would help greatly improve my enjoyment of the system :)

Plain and simple, it is going to take forever for people to find a pet wit the stats they want.  

Then they'll either have to find out for themselves or search online to see what each pet evolves into.

I agree with the above made points:

1.  Egg incubation time is too long.

2.  Egg rot time is too fast.

3.  Pet food should be stackable.

And I submit these additional points:

4.  Diaper wearing green pet is a bad idea.  Green looks like an enemy, and a diaper wearing drooling pet is not on my want list.

5.  Incubation should look at the players hatched pets and attempt to give some variety.  Current system is popping out the same thing over and over again.

The story:  I think the RNG for determining what hatches out of an egg is currently awful!

I hatched 4 creeper eggs thus far.  Each time hoping for anything other than the stupid one in the diaper (what marketing segment were your developers going for with that one ????) and thus far I have hatched 4 of that diapered one IN A ROW!!!

Additionally this pet looks like one of the ingame enemies, causing me to constantly think there is another bad guy over to my left :(

If the goal is to get me to play more, or hatch more eggs, you are missing your mark because at this point I'm considering abandoning the pet system altogether.

Short summary:  Diaper wearing pet is a bad idea, not cool at all.  Incubation should provide some variety instead of popping out the same thing 4X in a row. 

pet_seriously.jpg

I don't like the large number of eggs dropping (soup!) of which you can use at most 3 per day. The drops should be rarer.

Also, do all eggs hatch powerful pets or do some hatch other levels? If they do hatch other levels, then we need a way to tell which ones will hatch higher levels. It would be rage inducing to have a legendary rot while you hatched 6 powerfuls. Of course, maybe you would never know that had happened.

It was explained in Dev Stream that all the pets start as Powerful. Still, they seem to vary in power. The best one I got so far:

DBDF7A640157519E4306C77DBFEA65839C91F5C4

Hmm I like it.. the emplementation, while annoying may be needed... But IONO depends on how many people dislike waiting, vs it making people coming back.

@furydemastio quote:P.S.- i actually did read everything you wrote. SO GIMME MY COOKIE!!!! nom nom :-D

Holy cow. Uhh, it's uhh... in the mail! Yeah, that's where it is. Just give it 4-6 years, err weeks and you'll have it. I swear!

Back on topic, I still think... at the end of the day, it's not the wait that kills it for us. It's the fact we can only hatch one at a time and that they're dropping everywhere all the time. Think about it. If you could hatch an unlimited amount of eggs (this is in theory, okay? Not an actual suggestion to be taken seriously in anyway) would you actually care if it took 8 hours? I doubt it.

It's having eggs that apparently "rot" and being unable to use them.

Anyway, I currently finally have at least 1 egg hatched and the other in the oven should be ready soon. I'll get to test them out a bit and see where it goes.

@MasterOfLazyness quote: If you could hatch an unlimited amount of eggs (this is in theory, okay? Not an actual suggestion to be taken seriously in anyway) would you actually care if it took 8 hours? I doubt it.

Yes, I would care about that.  If an item drops for me, I want to use it.  I don't want to put it somewhere to become useful hours later.  It doesn't offer a mechanic that brings me back, it just makes it so that I can't use a pet the day I get it.