Sign in to follow this  
Gunghoe

Can we combine the Dragonfall with the base accessories?

There is some I want from the base accessories with my dragonfall stuff. Like the ponytail on the monk, and other things like that. Or I want a different head on Other things. Can you enable those accessories with the more premium full sets? It would make me more inclined to buy things from the regular accessories if I can mix and match!

I was rather sad to see that you can't mix different costumes. It almost makes the full costumes not worth it, as you can get something more personal made out of the accessories of the default costume.

@Syclic quote:

You cannot currently mix any of the pieces from different skins.

read the content of the topic, it didn't just say title did it?

I was super excited to use my councillor accessories with the red riding hood costume, only to find that it's impossible.

I can understand the implementation limitations behind it, but personally the isolated costume/accessory system isn't really working for me. Really the full costumes seem like they could be separated into parts like accessories, which would allow so many more customization options.

I'd be okay with a "set bonus" that changed the walking animations or anything that may be costume-specific.

Yeah it would be awesome to add the accessories and costumes part together. Especially since the Defense Council part are mostly purple. I'd like to add it to my ninja Monk.

@Tigorus quote:

Yeah it would be awesome to add the accessories and costumes part together. Especially since the Defense Council part are mostly purple. I'd like to add it to my ninja Monk.

And the collectors edition stuff, maybe I want to put something else on the shoulders. or be in tights with the Dragonfall Shoulders. I think they should consolidate it all to one big accessory collection. What if I want the talking hat and not the rest of the app set? Anything that adds to customization would be sweet. I personally like the base level up skin for the monk on the torso. Put that in for the dragonfall defender, and that would be cool! Just really adding more customization would be sweet for the full sets of gear!

@gigazelle quote:

I was super excited to use my councillor accessories with the red riding hood costume, only to find that it's impossible.

I can understand the implementation limitations behind it, but personally the isolated costume/accessory system isn't really working for me. Really the full costumes seem like they could be separated into parts like accessories, which would allow so many more customization options.

I'd be okay with a "set bonus" that changed the walking animations or anything that may be costume-specific.

The reason is probably not actually implementation issues. Rather I'd bet it's to do with art direction. When you make skins self contained you can do much more with them because they are never going to be mixed at matched. This allows you to push to boundary of exploring an alternate reality of the character while maintaining a cohesive art direction. When you let people mix and match you have to limit things like colour palette to avoid having people running around in hot pink pants with no shirt and a lime green hood. Which is funny, the first time, then you realize it looks atrocious and kinda invades your game experience a bit having someone evading the fashion police zipping across your screen.

@Tigorus quote:

One of the few exceptions I'd like to see, it fits and makes sense.

This also brings up the "ink" or coloring option up. I know they said it will most likely happen but as it stands I don;t think I'll ever use the Dragonfall sets because I'm not a fan of red. Now purple, blue or green and I'm good.

I agree with most of this, I would like to mix and match even full costumes and I really want a color slider or RGB grid to use.

I would love for a dev to throw in their two cents on this topic. Am I allowed to use my "go go Trendy dev" summoning powers here (if those powers even exist)? The thread is very constructive so far, and I think it would be quite beneficial to hear some insight on the logic behind the current system so we can collaborate on a better way to handle cosmetics.

@gigazelle quote:

Same here. I was a bit sad when I realized I could not combine Red Riding Huntress with the councillor accesoire. The possibility of combining everything would encourage me to buy way more stuff and I'm sure I would not be the only one.

@Fayrr quote:

@gigazelle quote:

The reason is probably not actually implementation issues. Rather I'd bet it's to do with art direction. When you make skins self contained you can do much more with them because they are never going to be mixed at matched. This allows you to push to boundary of exploring an alternate reality of the character while maintaining a cohesive art direction. When you let people mix and match you have to limit things like colour palette to avoid having people running around in hot pink pants with no shirt and a lime green hood. Which is funny, the first time, then you realize it looks atrocious and kinda invades your game experience a bit having someone evading the fashion police zipping across your screen.

@Tigorus quote:

One of the few exceptions I'd like to see, it fits and makes sense.

Fayrr pretty much hit the nail on the head.  We've taken a lot of inspiration from the elegant way Valve has handled skins with DOTA 2, where color palettes and visual language are (for the most part) consistent from hero to hero in order to maintain coherence and visual clarity.  Instead of doing it hero-to-hero, we want to make it consistent from skin-to-skin, with each skin having a very strong, well defined theme which the player can customize with accessories.  The way Valve handles skins isn't 100% directly comparable, but we share their philosophy on visual consistency and are hoping to make sure that each skin always feels like THAT particular skin. 

In a game with SO much going on at any given moment, we have to be super extra deliberate and particular with every aesthetic decision that we make in order to make sure the game doesn't slip into a colorful and chaotic assault on your eyeballs, which is something we're always wrestling with and are constantly trying to improve upon.

There are some ideas that are really cool which have been mentioned in this thread. Taking some accessories and re-texturing them to be used with other skins could be a really neat idea. There are always conversations happening here where people are tossing around ideas on how to make sure there's plenty of customization options from skin to skin, and I think we'll be exploring that stuff for quite some time, but I hope this sheds some light onto our thought process skins!  

@DannyAraya quote:

Fayrr pretty much hit the nail on the head.  We've taken a lot of inspiration from the elegant way Valve has handled skins with DOTA 2, where color palettes and visual language are (for the most part) consistent from hero to hero in order to maintain coherence and visual clarity.  Instead of doing it hero-to-hero, we want to make it consistent from skin-to-skin, with each skin having a very strong, well defined theme which the player can customize with accessories.  The way Valve handles skins isn't 100% directly comparable, but we share their philosophy on visual consistency and are hoping to make sure that each skin always feels like THAT particular skin. 

In a game with SO much going on at any given moment, we have to be super extra deliberate and particular with every aesthetic decision that we make in order to make sure the game doesn't slip into a colorful and chaotic assault on your eyeballs, which is something we're always wrestling with and are constantly trying to improve upon.

There are some ideas that are really cool which have been mentioned in this thread. Taking some accessories and re-texturing them to be used with other skins could be a really neat idea. There are always conversations happening here where people are tossing around ideas on how to make sure there's plenty of customization options from skin to skin, and I think we'll be exploring that stuff for quite some time, but I hope this sheds some light onto our thought process skins!  

This makes perfect sense, however I hold the opinion that the current implementation leaves much to be desired. While art direction and visual language are important, I want a middle ground between that and player freedom. Right now I don't feel like we have much freedom to customize outside the base hero.

As mentioned by you, a potential solution I see around this is by retexturing most base accessories to accommodate costumes. If an accessory interferes/clips horribly and requires changes to the mesh, then it can be omitted. For example, the ninja monk has a very prominent purple pallette; if you created purple or black versions of the base monk's alternate trousers, that would allow much more customization while adhering to art direction. Something like this; picture on the left are (hastily) retextured guardian trousers, comparing to the original on the right:

Mz7trKx.png

Another solution I see to visual customization is being able to select your color palette. You as the devs would have ultimate control over what palettes we get, and palettes would apply to the entire costume. Something like this:

0Nt0JXH.png

If we could apply all (or most) of the same customizations to costumes as we could the base hero, along with a limited choice of a color palette to choose from, I would absolutely call that a perfect middle ground between art direction and player freedom.

@gigazelle quote:

@DannyAraya quote:

This makes perfect sense, however I hold the opinion that the current implementation leaves much to be desired. While art direction and visual language are important, I want a middle ground between that and player freedom. Right now I don't feel like we have much freedom to customize outside the base hero.

As mentioned by you, a potential solution I see around this is by retexturing most base accessories to accommodate costumes. If an accessory interferes/clips horribly and requires changes to the mesh, then it can be omitted. For example, the ninja monk has a very prominent purple pallette; if you created purple or black versions of the base monk's alternate trousers, that would allow much more customization while adhering to art direction. Something like this; picture on the left are (hastily) retextured guardian trousers, comparing to the original on the right:

Mz7trKx.png

Another solution I see to visual customization is being able to select your color palette. You as the devs would have ultimate control over what palettes we get, and palettes would apply to the entire costume. Something like this:

0Nt0JXH.png

If we could apply all (or most) of the same customizations to costumes as we could the base hero, along with a limited choice of a color palette to choose from, I would absolutely call that a perfect middle ground between art direction and player freedom.

Absolutely! I think there may be other implications that we'd have to consider which may require the input of other departments, but I very much agree with you about that being one of a few potential directions we could take which would stay true to everything we're trying to accomplish.