Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

Three New Maps, Free Play (Pets & Dragons)

We added three new maps to DD2 in the Pets & Dragons update:

• Forest Crossroads
  • Liferoot Forest
  • The Wyvern Den

How do you feel about the Free Play (read:  non-Incursion) versions of these maps?

hard to say, the patch ain't live yet as far as I know.  However from what I have seen on streams they look very impressive and I am looking forward to playing on them.  Not sure yet which of the maps I like the most but they all rock :D

@Agronic quote:

hard to say, the patch ain't live yet as far as I know.  However from what I have seen on streams they look very impressive and I am looking forward to playing on them.  Not sure yet which of the maps I like the most but they all rock :D

patch is live :P

@bc304daedalus quote:

@Agronic quote:

patch is live :P

Indeed it is, my steam was messing with me by putting it on hold instead of starting it right away :'(  Well in that case thank you very much for the heads up.

The maps are well designed, but are quite easy to complete for the most part, especially the 25+ and 25++ versions where having full legendary kits is the norm.

I absolutely love these maps :) playing them makes me in such a good mood.

Again ... atmosphere, sounds, visuals, lighting, animations ... brilliant. The videos are great too :)

I just love them, too :D Big probs to the designers the maps are amazing <3 Liferoot Forest is a bright and happy atmosphere, which really fits to the heroes. Also the Quab is really cute, at first I didn't realize it was a kind of animal :D

Wonderfull, for me the best Update Trendy did since mistymire forest in dd1. The views the paths everything is like good old dd. One thing, we don't have any new ground enemies... for the rest i feel they gone cost me ours of fun.

Thanks Trendy ;)

Beautiful maps, amazing atmosphere.

Art team did outstanding, as usual, and look forward to more!

Betsy fight is great.

Fantastic maps. They look amazing and the sound team keeps making me think I'm playing Banjo-Tooie everytime I hear the soundtrack, it's great!

I just want to note something that I found to be awesome. I noticed this on Liferoot and I thought this specific attention to detail was just great.

Wave 4/5: Don't think I don't see you out there Mrs. Lady Orc ;). http://i.gyazo.com/12117e66772d9a4c037e0570865296e2.png

Wave Intermission 5/5: Where'd she go? http://i.gyazo.com/8f81d1ffb618a1e199f4ec16e9b35712.png

Wave 5/5: There she issssss. http://i.gyazo.com/ffb6590c2dca9570b473f2ef0050904d.png

@tatersmasher quote:

I just want to note something that I found to be awesome. I noticed this on Liferoot and I thought this specific attention to detail was just great.

Wave 4/5: Don't think I don't see you out there Mrs. Lady Orc ;). http://i.gyazo.com/12117e66772d9a4c037e0570865296e2.png

Wave Intermission 5/5: Where'd she go? http://i.gyazo.com/8f81d1ffb618a1e199f4ec16e9b35712.png

Wave 5/5: There she issssss. http://i.gyazo.com/ffb6590c2dca9570b473f2ef0050904d.png

Thats amazing! I only noticed the Wyverns flying around the outskirts of the map before deciding to come into lane.

Liferoot Forest is awesome. Climbing and descending the roots to hop between lanes is so much fun. Easily my favorite of all the maps in DD2 right now.

Crossroads is pretty generic. It serves it's purpose as a simple map to introduce the new area.

Wyvern Den is also fairly plain at first glance, but then the way the lanes change for the boss makes it one of the most noteworthy maps in DD2 so far. I really hope we see more dynamic levels like this.

I really like all new maps, they are beautiful and playable, allowing creative strategies.

Wyvern Nest could get DU nerf, right now you can observe like 6 ballistas stacked in one spot and cleaning everything on their own.

The new maps are absolutely beautiful. Very creative designs, and I adore each and every one. I can see and really appreciate the details and dedication the map makers put into each one.

Really nice update lots of content... but was the confetti and ballons necessarily needed for one update? xD

@| Dock quote:

Really nice update lots of content... but was the confetti and ballons necessarily needed for one update? xD

We got pets. And dragons. Personally I think there needs to be MORE confetti.

@iamisom quote:

How do you feel about the Free Play (read:  non-Incursion) versions of these maps?

Only played them once for the initial tokens on free-play.

All great map designs. As long as you keep fixing up the pathing and removing those annoying spots that the ranged monsters seem to find somehow where they can hit your towers but your towers just hit terrain, this will be as good as DD1. DD1 had fantastic pathing and very few monsters ever got stuck or wandered into places they shouldnt be or got into spots where they could exploit your defenses. 

I would like to see some "hard" walls in the lanes. too many lanes (liferoots lower branch with its huge width) have soft edges and monsters can sometimes walk around barricades even when you put them as close to the edge as it will allow, or you get screwed because you have to make 4 to completely block something that LOOKS like it should only need 3. etc.

Unfortunately, you guys at TE fixed the way we used to get out of the maps months/weeks ago. :(

I found no glitch to get out and they are really nice designed. I love them. Especially the last one. Great job.

So.... yeah. Soloing Betsy when Orges spawn simultaneously in two non-intersecting lanes is kinda crappy. 

Two ogres in the middle lane: trivial.

An ogre in the middle and an ogre in the next lane over: impossible. 

Kinda stinks to get all the way to the 4th wave just to get screwed because of the way Ogres are designed. This is probably illustrative of the need for changing ogre gameplay in general. After all, this is a tower defense game. I think squire tanking is a reasonable strategy, but it shouldn't be the only strategy. 

Really like the new maps

Ogre spawn bugs on Crossroads and Wyvern Den makes them annoying sometimes.

Like the random spawn on Betsy for Ogres a lot keeps you from getting complacent.

Betsy whilst she has plenty of health is incredibly weak as a boss, unless you get body slammed a builder squire can just hack at her all the time.

That is just wrong, even ogres have better melee defence. She should wing buffet melee heroes away or tail swipe them and breath fire on distance shooting huntresses.

She currently is easier than the Mistymire Spider Queen who was pretty pitiful as a boss.

The new maps look even better then the old (is it even ok to call those maps old?) ones. Amazing! I did not expect those cinematics and were totally surprised. They are funny and I love them.

Although I had some problems:

• At Forest Crossroads some enemies (I always forget the "pink ones who weaken defenses'" name) got stuck and therefore the ogre got stuck as well and was not killed by timeout.
  • At the Wyvern Den Betsy pushed down those planks so we could walk up to her. Those planks hit me and let me get stuck so I could not move anymore.

Yes, I told the tavern keeper and also showed him videos of the issues. ^^

Apart from that the new maps are totally impressive. Your level creators/designers are awesome!

@Dreizehn quote:
  • At the Wyvern Den Betsy pushed down those planks so we could walk up to her. Those planks hit me and let me get stuck so I could not move anymore.

That one, I think, is a known issue.  Relatively minor, as you can hit L to respawn, but definitely annoying.