Sign in to follow this  
Tidus

Will there be wipe?

I apologize to everyone in the forum.  In my day a mans word truly told the story of his worth.  I still get my head wrapped around truth and accuracy :)

PTSFP Paul  Honestly, I was explaining things as they happened.  I can't go farther than that.  If you don't think I am an honest and credible community member, then maybe iamisom can clear this up.  I was a community member in DD1 and have no need to lie here for any reason.  I am sorry if it came across as such.  I just got back into DD2 after a long hiatus and am not one to convey false information.   What do I gain from it? 

Again I apologize, but I was stating facts as they happened.  I joined the one and only public game I have been able to join since coming back to DD1.  Asked if I could help the host build (only the two of us in the map) and he proceeded to sell his walls so I could place mine.  This was after a wave where we almost failed.  Then partway through the next wave, I received the notification that I was booted from the game.  My story is the same either way.  That is what happened.  I am sorry if you don't believe me.

Also, I am sorry if my recollection of what actually happened in my one and only public game gives less meaning to my opinion.  I didn't know opinions mattered much anyways.  I thought this was a discussion where I could post my ideas.  Thanks Tristaris for your input.

Back on topic.  I could really care less if there was a wipe.  I just want new players to have the same experience and still find people to play with.  That has been the problem that I have had.  Although I do like soloing content, I do enjoy playing with others as well.

If they make a wipe, players who know the game in and out already will get mad at the players who suck and build wrong. They won't enjoy the campaign as much, because they went through it before. The main goal for them will be to level as fast as possible.

I agree with frogkeeper because I'm the type of player he's talking about. However, making 25 levels isn't a big deal either since I've deleted and re-leveled heroes to give me something to do while farming upgrades. On that note though I think the lack of players and people playing more often might be due to the fact that there may or may not be a wipe in the future.  I have a few friends with this type of mindset. They will either wait for release or until there is no chance of a wipe i.e. headstart. I can't really say that I blame them since I do understand that possibly losing hundreds of hours worth of gameplay at any moment could be enough to send players finding greener pastures.

I don't see a reason for a wipe if the game is the way it's right now. There is no or not yet competitive content in the game. So there is no need for a wipe right now, we dont have actually any benefits to the new players that would affect their gameplay in any possible way.

But if/when competitive content is implemented into the game then there is no other choice than wipe, then it would affect the gameplay of the new players.

PVP is something that doesnt work for new players if there is no wipe.

Leaderboards as well.

It would be really nice to have a FAQ sticky with things like "will there be a wipe" and "will this be pay to win" etc...

these questions seem to pop up a lot and they are very important, but a FAQ would fix things much easier than repeating the layout for the game each week... just a thought

I do understand people not wanting a wipe.   I am just coming from the pespective of a new player.   Once the game is released and after all of the hype dies down, there needs to be a solution to give lower level players someone to play with.   Maybe it won't be a problem at the start, but I can see it causing problems of new players can't find anyone to play with when they first jump in. 

Umm.. When we hit the max level in 7 hours how would wipe help with that [[42561,users]] ? Or are you proposing they do a wipe every once in a while so newcomers have ppl to play with? (/( x_x )\)

@gotrunks712 quote:

I do understand people not wanting a wipe.   I am just coming from the pespective of a new player.   Once the game is released and after all of the hype dies down, there needs to be a solution to give lower level players someone to play with.   Maybe it won't be a problem at the start, but I can see it causing problems of new players can't find anyone to play with when they first jump in. 

I think quite the opposite, new players will find it frustrating if the see end-game loot on first day, shops run by veterans and survival records.

[[75976,users]] [[26116,users]] What system I think would work better, rather than a wipe, is give higher level players an incentive to jump into a earlier playlist with those who may just be starting.  Something like this:

• Certain restrictions will be given upon joining (i.e. max of 1 skill sphere equipped to allow for the use of ubers, etc.)
  • The map would scale down player level to be on somewhat equal footing.  Yes the higher level player will still have stats that are far higher for the map content than the new player.
  • Rewards for this playlist could be something like: 1 Wyvern Token per 5 games, 1 token of a new type that can be exchanged in some rate for Wyvern Tokens and other exclusive rewards.

This is just an idea.  I'm sure Trendy has thought about this, but in order to gain and retain new players after launch there will have to be some sort of system at the "slower" times to give players just starting some social experience.

@BallsOut quote:

It would be really nice to have a FAQ sticky with things like "will there be a wipe" and "will this be pay to win" etc...

these questions seem to pop up a lot and they are very important, but a FAQ would fix things much easier than repeating the layout for the game each week... just a thought

Something like this?

I can almost bet 100% come the release of the game there will be a wipe to make the playing field lvl. That is just what happens when you beta test a game once it is released the beta is wiped and everyone starts fresh as it should be.

@mordyo quote:

I can almost bet 100% come the release of the game there will be a wipe to make the playing field lvl. That is just what happens when you beta test a game once it is released the beta is wiped and everyone starts fresh as it should be.

Trendy claims on the steam page that they don't have a specific wipe planned upon leaving leaving early access.

If there is a wipe, will we be refunded any of the in-game currency we've been awarded and spent?  It would suck to lose everything we've bought with it, or lose any that we've saved.  If it gets refunded because of a wipe though, that would be fine.

@tempest6523 quote:

If there is a wipe, will we be refunded any of the in-game currency we've been awarded and spent?  It would suck to lose everything we've bought with it, or lose any that we've saved.  If it gets refunded because of a wipe though, that would be fine.

Yes, they said this in the dev stream. All in-game currency and rewards would be given back to you if they ever do a wipe

@Pneuma quote:

@tempest6523 quote:

Yes, they said this in the dev stream. All in-game currency and rewards would be given back to you if they ever do a wipe

Thank you.  I also found the info at the bottom of the description for the Collector's Edition on the Steam website.  I'm glad they thought of it beforehand. ^_^  I'm really liking the team they have working on this game.