Sign in to follow this  
iron_void

Sub-Objectives aren't worth guarding

I was playing through my first character the other week and my friend and I played through the game alone. We ended up guarding all the sub-objectives with our lives because it seemed like it was important. When we had finished going through the main levels by ourselves we went online and learned how other people played, mainly the fact that the sub-objectives aren't a bad thing to go down. Now maybe this isn't the case in higher difficulty games, but in what we were playing there was no point in guarding them.

It hurts to see a sub-objective go down, but if there is no reason to protect it besides more enemies will come that will give more experience and drop more loot then that is a useless pain. I believe there should be some sort of bonus experience for keeping the sub-objective up that would be slightly more than what you would get from killing the monsters that would have come. Also in order to help with item farming, either a smaller chest for each sub-objective that stays up, or a better chance for good items (during the rounds or for the celebration chest) when you have protected those.

This would allow players still the choice whether they wanted to protect that point or not, but also the incentive to protect it. Now the sub-objective would feel important to guard instead of something you want to go down.

There is already an experience boost when defending the objectives.

There was a lot of debating here on the forums and in game whether defending the sub objectives affected loot drops. People would insist the overall item power level of items was higher if you defended the sub objectives. Others said that wasn't the case and that it is better to have more enemies for more loot.

The Devs were very vague on the matter and never gave a definitive answer. I do not believe they intend to either.

@jitterz quote:

Others said that wasn't the case and that it is better to have more enemies for more loot.

The Devs were very vague on the matter and never gave a definitive answer. I do not believe they intend to either.

The dev reply was that the increase of the number of enemies did not change the pre-determined number or loot, what changes the loot is the difficulty (aka map and normal/hard) the enemy (tougher enemies have higher quality chance drops) and number of players.

Increasing the number of enemies by letting sub die will only increase the amount of enemies, not loot

It also decreases the exp gain, as the amount of exp granted at the end of each wave (for having each subcore alive) is greater than the extra exp from kills (on the order of 100:1, that is, each kill is worth between 1 and 10 exp, while keeping a subcore alive is worth 400-per-wave and end-of-wave-bonus is around 1200 + 200*wave#).