Sign in to follow this  
Syclic

Spending Premium Currency for new Heroes

@BallsOut quote:

Doing a model like I previously mentioned offers many benefits.

• It allows for newer players to strive to achieve something as well as learning basics before being overwhelmed by too many options.
  • It puts more activity into the game by having players obtain currency instead of logging in every 2 months to check out the new content and leaving again soon after.
  • Keeps the game going longer by allowing, but not forcing another revenue stream.
  • Offers a gold sink which if done properly may help Trendy maintain a balanced game.

The two things that would ruin this approach would be gated currency (ie: through a quest you can only do once a day forcing you to play at least 30 days or something to accumulate said currency) or by making the currency amount so high that casual players can not reasonably obtain the amount (ie: 30m gold).

I agree.  It would have to be well balanced, but even then I would still lean more to either making them free or purchased with in game currency/unlocked.  Rule out the premium currency altogether so that there is no perceived pay to win aspect at all.

I have to agree with [[31834,users]]

New characters absolutely have an impact on the game. If DD1 was anything to go by, not having the EV was absolutely gimping yourself. New characters may not have that big of an impact, but they can't really add them without introducing new combos, and such, and as a result, may work better than one of the base ones, etc.

Bring them in free, but design absolutely bad-ass costumes for them, that encourages people to want to buy the said costumes.

Want summoner, who uses minion units instead of DU, please. Summoner_minimap_icon_c.png

@Tristaris quote:

Want summoner, who uses minion units instead of DU, please. Summoner_minimap_icon_c.png

I loved the summoner, but that is probably not going to happen.  It would essentially become a must have for any build again.  On that note, it'll be interesting to see how they balance new heroes coming in the future.  Either way, they can't be behind any sort of a paywall.

Yeah, it does kind of suck that it would become almost mandatory to come back, the same way it was in DD1, but I'd still love a summoner, even if it used DU as well.

I just enjoyed the hero! lol

@gotrunks712 quote:

@Tristaris quote:

I loved the summoner, but that is probably not going to happen.  It would essentially become a must have for any build again.  On that note, it'll be interesting to see how they balance new heroes coming in the future.  Either way, they can't be behind any sort of a paywall.

Agreed.  The summoner was my favorite in DD1.  They would just have to balance it differently if it did use MU, and I am not entirely sure how they would do that without making it mandatory.

I believe that new characters should not be available for premium currency and instead earned in game, though not necessarily through currency, they could be earned via achievements or levels as part of new story content. This will help with player retention and keep the game going longer.

If we start introducing new characters then we would be hopefully looking at new mechanics, towers, abilities and combos. Having these behind premium currency is a gate that alot of people are going to see as going P2W especially if any of the new characters become a mandatory requirement for certain content or even just "more efficient" 

However if premium currency is a must then I have to echo what people in the thread have said and go with a system similar to both League of Legends and Warframe. Have it purchasable for premium currency but also for in game currency. 

@Argick quote:

I believe that new characters should not be available for premium currency and instead earned in game, though not necessarily through currency, they could be earned via achievements or levels as part of new story content. This will help with player retention and keep the game going longer.

This is something I would wholeheartedly support if Trendy insists on new heroes being behind a gate of some sort. It worked more than well enough in Path of Exile for the Scion.

id honestly feel that if it had a LOL style of way to aquire new heros then it would be fair for everyone.  Free to play doesnt get shafted by having less options (just has to invest more time) while still having the options of playing the other classes.

Although a new class might be balanced alone it doesn't make it balanced with every other class.  If the monk was a pay to have class although its pretty balanced on its own would still be necessary to have in combination with all other classes for boost auras/electric damage for combos.  A new class will offer similar combos and specs that are virtually required in the game for success.

I personally think it should be around 5-10 dollars, simply because I would want more heroes than one once a year. Gender swaps if they add those, Those should be free. (even if they have different talents,or towers) They should also make use of the key system for hero unlocks. So people that play get to get those (non-gender swap) heroes potentially for free. However they shouldn't make it a rediculus grind. Just make it worth enough to see if people will buy the hero. Not make it feel like you are making a choice A B or C, and you are never going to get the other two with out hundreds of hours of play time.

I think Trendy will need to be very careful with this. I personally would lean towards paid heroes as they did with DD1. I bought all the heroes there and am likely to do the same here. As I said on the other pay for this, pay for that thread, i wouldn't be at all interested in pay for accessories or costumes. I honestly don't care so much what the toon looks like, just what it does.

I suppose I'm a power gamer in that, if it doesn't impart some buff, it is not of interest.

@Gunghoe quote:

I personally think it should be around 5-10 dollars, simply because I would want more heroes than one once a year. Gender swaps if they add those, Those should be free. (even if they have different talents,or towers) They should also make use of the key system for hero unlocks. So people that play get to get those (non-gender swap) heroes potentially for free. However they shouldn't make it a rediculus grind. Just make it worth enough to see if people will buy the hero. Not make it feel like you are making a choice A B or C, and you are never going to get the other two with out hundreds of hours of play time.

the problem is depending on the hero it could be seen as p2w. I've never really played DD1 but [[64852,users]] mentioned EV was a good example of this. For players like myself that are new to the DD series, the monk would be a good example of how a hero can make a big impact on the outcome of a fight.

i mentioned in an earlier post about unlocking a new hero early(up to a week) by purchasing their costume. This seems pretty fair and it entices players to purchase the costume in order to play a hero earlier than it's official release. Also, because the hero would be open to everyone within a decent time frame would not make it pay to win. The problem would be that with my suggestion a costume would have to be ready with each new hero release.

edit: another person mentioned being able to earn the hero by completing quests, achievements, or something to that effect as a way to get new heroes.

@gigazelle quote:

I don't want heroes to be purchased, either with gold or premium currency. New heroes is ABSOLUTELY a game-impacting mechanic, and the devs have explicitly stated they're not going to monetize that.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. Imagine if monks were one of the new heroes essentially you are paying for a boost aura, of course you get everything else the monk has but the boost specifically has a huge impact on the game. Who is to say what game changing towers or abilities new heroes will bring. Spending premium currency for new heroes is pay to win. If this happens trendy may as well sell double damage buff items in their shop because its essentially the same thing in this example. Which is something that nobody wants to see!

In my opinion new heroes have an influence on gameplay and therefore (according to Trendy's statements) should not be sold for money. On the other hand, the genders-wapped heroes are actually the same with different looks - therefore I think they should be sold for money.

@Dreizehn quote:

In my opinion new heroes have an influence on gameplay and therefore (according to Trendy's statements) should not be sold for money. On the other hand, the genders-wapped heroes are actually the same with different looks - therefore I think they should be sold for money.

I agree.   I think gender swaps will likely either be a skin or an entirely new hero with new towers and abilities if they bring them back. 

I think Trendy should sell maps, heroes, cosmetics etc. for money. That way DD2 will live for a very long time. We get the game for free, pay for the extras to support future support and development. 

Every day people spend a lot on iap on Android and IOS devices.

I know i'm outnumbered, but that is my opinion.

@Woqini quote:

I think Trendy should sell maps, heroes, cosmetics etc. for money. That way DD2 will live for a very long time. We get the game for free, pay for the extras to support future support and development. 

That makes sense, although maps/heroes do go against Trendy's business model with nothing impacting gameplay being purchasable.

@Woqini quote:

DD2 will live a lot longer if heroes and maps are released for free.

I just have a really hard time figuring out, how Trendy can survive from selling skins And cosmetics. Only time will tell

it is a big money business but they have a huge following as well to allow the business to be so profitable.

edit: LoL for instance only averaged $1.32 per user during the same year those stats were taken from. Although this game will likely never be as popular as games like LoL or even DoTA. I hope that cosmetics is enough to not only sustain the game but allow room to continue making content long after the game officially launches. It's a fun and addicting game that deserves more attention from gamers.

@Batophobia quote:

@MrCrave quote:

IMO New heroes should be free. They'll make money off us buying costumes and accessories for the new heroes. Having it be paid to unlock would just be paying for stuff that affect our game play no? They've been saying times and times again that they won't ever have paid stuff that affect game play. Unlocking heroes will affect our game play.

As true as this may be, having characters that you can unlock could help a number of ways.

1. New players will be able to get the hang of the game with one of the original "free" characters and, hopefully, be able to unlock a new one after reaching the end game.  I would suggest this character unlocking be somewhere around beating the final boss, so the game ends with a choice for the player, start a new hero or grind for better gear.
  2. Paid players can get the special characters early, making free players see what they could unlock after they've beaten the game.  This can help encourage players to keep coming back and give a sense of accomplishment once they have the new character.
  3. Any player that played DD1 DLC heroes can freely join DD2, but optionally pay to immediately start off with one of their favorites, like the summoner or EV.

The thing is, if they begin needing more money, they will rarely release new heroes. If they have a money incentive to put a hero out we will likely see more.  Basically they should offer a some what easy way to get the new heroes, like say 20 dollars worth of premium currency for all future heroes. But also have a system to unlock those heroes for free for X amount of gold or monster tokens. They need to make money some how, and I don't want to see XP boosts, or other boosts like that to make those must haves. Last thing we want is the money flow to slow down exponentially to where they look for other ways that may end up ruining the fun for free players. or people that don't want to spend much money.  

Some other incentive to pay for cosmetics in the game. There are many people that won't pay a dime on the game. So 5 bucks for a new hero sounds great. That would sell like hot cakes. And give a way to grind for it some way like Hero tokens given out daily collect 7 you get the new hero. Or some other mechanics to try and get money some way like that. 

I fear that they would rarely make heroes if they don't get much money. But said that, they will also get the old players to return to try out that hero, thus potentially spending money on cosmetics I don't know if free heroes would increase cosmetic sales much, but I hope they do!

Ultimately I think it's up to trendy, but honestly I also don't know what all they are planning on selling. Payed heroes, plus an option to get for free if you play more like a 7-14 daily tokens to get the hero.  So people that spend 5 bucks gets the hero 1-2 weeks early, while the others get it 1-2 weeks later if they don't spend money (if they log in every day.) To me would be the best bet. then after 2 months they become completely free. 

we don't want our fellow developers of this lovely game to get layed off, who knows how popular this game will be on PS4, maybe cosmetics is enough, I hope so, Every one that has access to the game has spent between 20-75 bucks, But I don't want their finances to dry up.

The bottom line is, Trendy needs to make a profit to keep this game going strong for years to come. I don't care how they do it, as long as it works and keeps the majority happy. There will always be people around that want everything for free, i'm not one of them. I will happily support Trendy in every way i can, that's why i purchased the collectors edition.

@Woqini quote:

The bottom line is, Trendy needs to make a profit to keep this game going strong for years to come. I don't care how they do it, as long as it works and keeps the majority happy. There will always be people around that want everything for free, i'm not one of them. I will happily support Trendy in every way i can, that's why i purchased the collectors edition.

You may not care how they do it, but a lot of people do.

Anything that provides a game-play advantage, should never, ever be sold. This is why I basically refuse to play any game where I can dump money into a game and have a clear advantage, except a few games.

I will support Trendy. I do not support pay to win, and the garbage it brings with it.

Games that develop a decent monetization plan, will have decent income. Look at GW2, and others, for example. Granted it was buy to play, but people will spend a ton on cosmetics, etc.

Then again I'm very passionate about games being about playing the game, rather than paying to win the game.

If I can buy my way to the top, what incentives do I have to continue to play after my joy ride is done?

Hard to tell who you are directing your post to, by the way.

@SwagDragon quote:

I don't like the way you think. It is cool to make costumes for money, but not characters