Sign in to follow this  
Reflux

why is the character selection limited to 3?

just a general question because i miss being ablt to use 4 or more characters. like 4 is good because you can solo things pretty nicley but also you are only limited to 4 spaces so you can have all characters or maybe you could have a duplicate of one.

There are a couple reasons I can think of as to why they would limit you to three heroes:

1: Makes it more appealing to play with more people. If you can not get everything done yourself, you can have other people helping you with it. This is also supported by the "More people in your game, better/more loot you get".

2: Allows them to better control what heroes people bring into public games without as much fuss about it. They added the fact you can change to any heroes in your deck in private games, but not public. The reason for this in particular is that either you can bring a level 1 into end-game content and make everything harder for people you are with (Griefing they feel), or to keep this effect they would need to always check every hero you have and adjust accordingly. With the Hero Deck they know for sure how many you CAN have and makes things easier on their end to keep the game how they want.

Personally, I think we all would like to take in more heroes; however, I can see where that would not build the type of gameplay that Trendy is aiming for with this game.

Trendy is trying to find ways to remove the behaviour of one player building the entire map.  They want to see multiple players chipping in on defenses.

It was also mentioned they'd like to give us challenges that can't be won by just building and afking. We'd need to bring a dps or tank hero to actually fight the monsters too. So that leaves each person bringing two builders.

Incidentally this has lead me to testing out all the various tower combos to see what tricks I can find. I don't like the freeze-toss combo (feels ineffective) but the electrocution combo and tossing (either earth or geyser) with the skyguard shooting the tossed has been fun to watch and effective. I'd really like a tower that oils enemies so I can play with a burning combo as well.

@Hecate quote:

It was also mentioned they'd like to give us challenges that can't be won by just building and afking. We'd need to bring a dps or tank hero to actually fight the monsters too. So that leaves each person bringing two builders.

Incidentally this has lead me to testing out all the various tower combos to see what tricks I can find. I don't like the freeze-toss combo (feels ineffective) but the electrocution combo and tossing (either earth or geyser) with the skyguard shooting the tossed has been fun to watch and effective. I'd really like a tower that oils enemies so I can play with a burning combo as well.

I doubt you managed to get the earthshatter+skyguard because it's bugged and doesn't work :P

@Gutu quote:

I doubt you managed to get the earthshatter+skyguard because it's bugged and doesn't work :P

it was listed as having been fixed in the hotfix, but I haven't seen any of the other bug in the hotfix actually be fixed. Have not tested Earthshatter knockup yet.

@Syclic quote:

@Gutu quote:

it was listed as having been fixed in the hotfix, but I haven't seen any of the other bug in the hotfix actually be fixed. Have not tested Earthshatter knockup yet.

was the fix related to the sky guard not getting target or maybe the fix was not exactly implemented? Either way all i know, it didn't work and still doesn't work =P, for real until today, I'm still unsure of what that "fix" was about, since it did knock-up before, the bug would be that the sky guard wouldn't target it when enemies would be knocked up, but that wasn't fixed so... yeah.

I believe it was that the Earthshatter spec node was not flagging enemies as being airborne.

Last Hotfix

The only other one on that list i know isn't fully fixed yet is the ogre not coming out of the ship sometimes.

This question is asked by many.  The common answer is to "encourage" playing with others.  I view it as discouraging solo play as do others but it is very dependent on a person's view point.  I enjoy both on DD1 but haven't in DD2.

No doubt they want to to encourage playing with others.  Doing so has a few benefits as has been stated.  Another benefit is that by playing with others, people are probably more likely to buy cosmetics.  If a player is running around and sees other players with fancy costumes, then they are more likely to want a costume or embellishment themselves leading to more sales.  Since this game is designed to be f2p and make money off of such items, you definitely want people to want to purchase the costumes.

I did it with Geyser. I admit I never tried Earthshatter. I just knew it could knock up and thought it could be part of the combo.

Getting back on track, I really hope Trendy's solution to the hero deck isn't just "make more slots."  The deck needs to either have a meaningful adjustment that gives some sort of benefit to using it (my least favored option), removed entirely or function only within multiplayer.  Adding in more slots is a temporary solution at its best, and a non-solution at its worst.  The limitation would still exist, and the problem would return as more content is added into the game.

I think 3 heroes cap in game is just fine. It is possible to do 25+++ hard with combo of two heroes, so I don't think there is any reason to change the cap. At least for now, maybe in the future it will be useful.

increased LOOT chance is the ONLY reason to play with other people. Decreased deck size is an annoyance at best.

@Lusitainia quote:

There are a couple reasons I can think of as to why they would limit you to three heroes:

1: Makes it more appealing to play with more people. If you can not get everything done yourself, you can have other people helping you with it. This is also supported by the "More people in your game, better/more loot you get".

2: Allows them to better control what heroes people bring into public games without as much fuss about it. They added the fact you can change to any heroes in your deck in private games, but not public. The reason for this in particular is that either you can bring a level 1 into end-game content and make everything harder for people you are with (Griefing they feel), or to keep this effect they would need to always check every hero you have and adjust accordingly. With the Hero Deck they know for sure how many you CAN have and makes things easier on their end to keep the game how they want.

Personally, I think we all would like to take in more heroes; however, I can see where that would not build the type of gameplay that Trendy is aiming for with this game.