Sign in to follow this  
gnollmar

Cosmetics and Pricing

So after reading all the above, my 2 cents for this topic:

I was thinking on what I would pay for a skin and I'd have to say it would have to do with the amount of effort put in.
So for a brand new Full Skin (4 Parts) probably $8-15 depending on level of depth and modification put into it from the original skin. So if it was a complete redo of the mesh, the animations and could most likely be considered by artists as a new character, then $15, if it was just a 2 mesh changes and animations, possible $12. For an accessory I would prefer to buy in bundles of 4, this would make a purchase seem much more worth while and I'd say $5 for a set of 4 accessories (effectively a low budget new outfit).

This is assuming that the accessories can be combined into sets of 4 (obviously not in the patch as they have stated in Dev Stream 16).

Well that's it for my opinion.

The League of Legends model is decent, they have prices depending on the quality of the costume.

A basic skin replacement would be the cheapest.

Full on animation and skill visual changes would be the most expensive.

They also have weekly sales for 3 random costumes.

I think something like this model would work well. 

If they implement the possibility to color the heroes in a similar way we could do in DD1, then I think they should also sell these colors.

It would be totally ok for me to go to the cosmetic shop in the tavern and buy a bucket of color for 1$ each. This unlocks the color and I can start with further customization.

Depending on how much and which parts of the body are revealed (some costuems show the legs, some only the arms, etc.) there could be a demand for more different colors at once.

@Dreizehn quote:

If they implement the possibility to color the heroes in a similar way we could do in DD1, then I think they should also sell these colors.

It would be totally ok for me to go to the cosmetic shop in the tavern and buy a bucket of color for 1$ each. This unlocks the color and I can start with further customization.

Depending on how much and which parts of the body are revealed (some costuems show the legs, some only the arms, etc.) there could be a demand for more different colors at once.

They made it sounds to me in the devstream like they were going to add theme color options to the different skins, possibly similar to the way Warframe does it (you can buy color themes for money). Where each piece of a theme has 4-5 different colors to it and you can change that color throughout the theme but not on individual pieces.

I love customization and such, but seeing randos go around in all 1 neon color does not appeal to me.

first thing is a person need to figure out is how much and what prices the in game money is going to be sold for so everyone saying i would pay 10-20 doll hairs for 1 full costume should be wondering if you are going to get to purchase 10 worth of premium or 15 for that 10 doll hair suit i say sell the costumes cheap and make the premium monies cost more so the buyer still has some left over for extra stuff cause more is more suit 10 bucks but the only way to get it is buying 15 premium monies sell suit for 5 bucks but can only buy 10 dollhair increments of monies. ramble ramble ramble.

I think people have made some very valid points about pricing in this thread... 

With that being said, I think the answer lies in a combination of methods.

I believe 5 dollars is a great starting point for a whole skin.

BUT I think the price point should be flexible.

For example: Increase the price depending on how many customization options are available for that skin.  As well as upgrades for each piece.

So maybe for a base skin, keep the price cheap at 5 bucks.  For a skin that has maybe 1-3 customizable slots for each armor piece, raise it to 10.  For a skin that has several customizable slots AND appearance upgrades, kick it up to 15.

I think we should focus on not going over 20 dollars unless the skin is just EXTRAVAGANT.  i.e. Evolves appearance with kills or mana picked up, extra animations/sounds, etc.

The majority of transactions should be around the 1-5 dollar range to really make people feel like they're not spending THAT much money, but have more expensive options for when people want to invest in a character that they like.

@Dreizehn quote:

I honestly think with a system like this in place they could lower the base cost of costumes making it more desirable for players with a tighter budget.   

@AussieMark quote:

I posted already around pricing but I have to be honest I'm pretty hard to sell to on a purely cosmetic front.

Dont really care too much if my hero looks the same. Yes its nice to look fancy but I normally wouldn't pay for just cosmetics.

Convenience items however are a different matter :p

The developers have stated time and time again the only thing that will have a slight impact on the game is the pets you can buy. (but those pets have an equivalent in the world.) They aren't planing on having EXP boosts or power boosts. The only way they plan on making money on this game is selling cosmetics and maybe bag space. 

If you spend 100+ hours in a game and enjoy it? why not buy some cosmetics to make your character stand out as much as your weapon you have equipped. 

Remember folks they are also doing the crates too like TF2, CS Go, and DoTA 2... they are going to have that for the people that want to spend less. 

@Gunghoe quote:

If you spend 100+ hours in a game and enjoy it? why not buy some cosmetics to make your character stand out as much as your weapon you have equipped. 

Because some players dont care what their characters look like so why pay for something that is doesnt add to gameplay?  Obviously some do.  I am surprised at the suggestions that some costumes or sets should sell for $20.  Apparently some players have spent or dont mind spending lots of money on looks.  I dont understand that but I dont have to.  If there is a market for it, then Trendy should go for it.

@ddace quote:

@Gunghoe quote:

Because some players dont care what their characters look like so why pay for something that is doesnt add to gameplay?  Obviously some do.  I am surprised at the suggestions that some costumes or sets should sell for $20.  Apparently some players have spent or dont mind spending lots of money on looks.  I dont understand that but I dont have to.  If there is a market for it, then Trendy should go for it.

Some people in CS spend 60 dollars+ but I don't think they can capture the market where reselling/trading is also a thing.

My question to whom ever enjoys a game, why not throw some money at the developer. 5-15 bucks for 100+ hours of game-play is fine. Alas, some people are going to be playing 100% free, but who cares beyond that?  Just the thing is if you play for a long time some people are more willing to throw some money at the developer. They aren't going to make the shop pay to win, nor Pay to experience content faster. How ever if they must start putting in terrible business models to make this game float then they very well might. 

Thanks but I'm sure being the smart people they are they will add some convenience items like inventory slots. Maybe ability to auto loot or fast travel or portable forge to swap heroes quickly or a portable crafting station. Or 4th hero slot

Convenience items dont necessarily have to be exp and power.  

I'm very very unlikely to ever purchase a cosmetic unless it changed my animations like the monk ninja item. Even then I'm not impressed easily ... Its my choice what I want to buy and I respect you also have your own choice to make.

Now if there were ways to decorate my tavern... I might purchase stuff but to be honest I wouldn't pay for each Item. I'd set a budget of 5 to 20 dollars and buy a currency package and then only spend that amount and no more. I like the packages and packs that include currency but also something else

@Gunghoe quote:

@AussieMark quote:

I posted already around pricing but I have to be honest I'm pretty hard to sell to on a purely cosmetic front.

Dont really care too much if my hero looks the same. Yes its nice to look fancy but I normally wouldn't pay for just cosmetics.

Convenience items however are a different matter :p

The developers have stated time and time again the only thing that will have a slight impact on the game is the pets you can buy. (but those pets have an equivalent in the world.) They aren't planing on having EXP boosts or power boosts. The only way they plan on making money on this game is selling cosmetics and maybe bag space. 

Remember folks they are also doing the crates too like TF2, CS Go, and DoTA 2... they are going to have that for the people that want to spend less. 

@Gunghoe quote:

Some people in CS spend 60 dollars+ but I don't think they can capture the market where reselling/trading is also a thing.

I just realized, this is an EXTREMELY important part of the economy. When I purchase stuff in TF2, I purchase it knowing that I can always resell it or trade it away for something else, so the money I spend on it is not completely "wasted". I've probably churned over $1000 buying and selling stuff in that game. Right now my backpack is only worth a couple hundred bucks, but I've bought and sold at least half a dozen hats with particle effects.

If stuff was permanently locked or tied to my account in TF2, I don't think i would have spent nearly that much. I also anticipate if stuff in DD2 is permanently untradeable, I likely won't spend a whole lot of money in this game either.

Skins are fun, but not something i will spend a lot on. I would however spend a lot on new heroes with new defenses - like the summoner, ev, barbarian ... in DD1.

@Woqini quote:

Skins are fun, but not something i will spend a lot on. I would however spend a lot on new heroes with new defenses - like the summoner, ev, barbarian ... in DD1.

which wont cost anything though, as that would count as a gameplay advantage and against their monetization plan.

It doesn't have to be a gameplay advantage, as long as new heroes are balanced and dont have their own set of DU or SU.

New heroes are always a brand new set of options, which gives advantage. In fact we expect new heroes to be original and offer different gameplay to what there already is..

However, I see how adding new heroes would benefit both players (more things to try) and Trendy (more costumes to sell).

@Warmonger quote:

New heroes are always a brand new set of options, which gives advantage. In fact we expect new heroes to be original and offer different gameplay to what there already is..

not necessairly. Unlocking new champs in league of legends doesn't increase your power (unless the balance team was asleep at the wheel), it only gives you more variety. No one character is an instant win button or intentionally made stronger than another. Also, they can be earned instead of bought.

In other words, it's only an advantage if they choose it to be, which they've made it pretty clear they want to avoid obvious paid advantages. That being said however, if you came from DD1, I can understand why you'd say this. but I think their philosophy with this game is proving different.

The hero deck also puts a clamp on this- since you have to give up a hero in your deck to add a new one, you're making a sacrifice to gain the new hero's functionality.

well said.

Dont forget guys this is a co op game, so for me I couldnt really care less if someone else COULD spend $500 and 1 shot an orge. Good for them, I hope they get on my team sometimes haha.

PVP is a different story, balance is a lot more important.

@Alhanalem quote:

@Warmonger quote:

not necessairly. Unlocking new champs in league of legends doesn't increase your power (unless the balance team was asleep at the wheel), it only gives you more variety. No one character is an instant win button or intentionally made stronger than another. Also, they can be earned instead of bought.

In other words, it's only an advantage if they choose it to be, which they've made it pretty clear they want to avoid obvious paid advantages. That being said however, if you came from DD1, I can understand why you'd say this. but I think their philosophy with this game is proving different.

The hero deck also puts a clamp on this- since you have to give up a hero in your deck to add a new one, you're making a sacrifice to gain the new hero's functionality.

New heroes should just add variety not advantages. A viking instead of the squire - exactly same tower stats, but different visuals, animations ... etc., how would that be an advantage ?

Actually I would care a lot if someone could spend 500$ and one shot an ogre, because essentially what you are saying is that someone who pays gets immediately access to more power instantly whereas a person who spends a lot of time playing the game can´t achieve the same results.

Pay to Win can exist in PVE games and I dont have any fun whatsoever if it exists specially if a person who plays the game for a longer time can´t achieve exactly the same results.

@Woqini quote:

A viking instead of the squire - exactly same tower stats, but different visuals, animations ... etc., how would that be an advantage ?

From my understanding that would just be a skin then.

@steelsoldier quote:

Actually I would care a lot if someone could spend 500$ and one shot an ogre, because essentially what you are saying is that someone who pays gets immediately access to more power instantly whereas a person who spends a lot of time playing the game can´t achieve the same results.

Pay to Win can exist in PVE games and I dont have any fun whatsoever if it exists specially if a person who plays the game for a longer time can´t achieve exactly the same results.

I think most agree with that.  If you cant achieve it without paying then it is considered by most all as a bad thing and turns most off from a game.  However I think people are split on paying for stats, boosts or other bonuses to speed ahead even when you can obtain the same things over time without paying.

@Alhanalem quote:

Unlocking new champs in league of legends doesn't increase your power (unless the balance team was asleep at the wheel).

Oddly enough, you have perfectly described the state of defense balance in DD1 and DDE. Because of our prior experience with Trendy's balance, I think that's why players are very hesitant to treat new heroes as sidegrades.

Personally, I would much rather have costumes cost around $5. With minor cosmetics costing around $1. I would spend a lot over time buying costumes because they're cheap. If the costumes are anything like DD1 they will be well worth it! However, if the costumes are $20 - $40, then I'd probably only buy one costume for my main character and be done with the cosmetics. If there are going to be as many costumes as there was in DD1, with them being priced at $20 - $40, we would easily be spending hundreds! Honestly, who would buy that many? I'm all for supporting my game but I don't think making the costumes very expensive is the way to go. Overall, I think about a $5 price range is perfect. I think most people would buy more costumes because they're cheaper and be spending more than $40 in the long run. Not many people will be willing to spend $40 on one costume. I know I wouldn't.

@Dreizehn quote:

@Woqini quote:

A viking instead of the squire - exactly same tower stats, but different visuals, animations ... etc., how would that be an advantage ?

From my understanding that would just be a skin then.

Nope, he should off course have his viking towers. Vikings ate red amanita before battle and then went berserk. One of his towers could be just that, making enemies go berserk and attack each other - just like the enrage aura in DD1.