Sign in to follow this  
gnollmar

Cosmetics and Pricing

I think the prices on the cosmetics should vary depending on how complex the actual cosmetic is and adjusted to the quality of the current cosmetic pieces available.

I would say that the best way to value each accessory is by tiers.

Tier 1 would be composed of the simplest accessories available, these do not change animations or add any extra effects to the character

Tier 2 would be composed of accessories that add minor animations, effects to the pieces, there could be certain sets that only have 1 piece with an actual animation or effect, these sets could be more expensive depending on the amount of work that went for these pieces.

Tier 3 would be composed of accessories that change the overall not only how the character looks but add interesting animations or changes to the character spells, attacks, etc, these would be the most expensive.

Tier 1

Each Accessory would cost 1$-2$

Full Set 4$-8$

Tier 2

Each Accessory would cost 2$-3$

Full Set 8$-12$

Tier 3

Each Accessory would cost 3$-5$

Full Set 12$-20$

Oh two more things I'd Pay big bucks for!

1) Portable / mobile Forge - let me swap heros and check items

2) Portable crafter / upgrade station - let me upgrade items on the go , in game

some great points, my only concern is the size of the playerbase and ensuring its a sustainable business model

@Professor_Valconian quote:

Just want to point out that a triple-A title like Little Big Planet charges between $2 - $5 for full costumes.

I think Trendy would want as many people buying costumes, etc. as possible, and that means setting the bar low enough so that it is an impulse buy. You will certainly have people willing to pay significantly more, but I assume those will be hard core players and not casuals. I think the casual player base in the long run will probably generate way more revenue than the much smaller population of hard core fans. Setting prices too high will have the opposite effect of actually limiting the game's revenue potential.

Im fine with 2.99-4.99$/piece  max 14.99$/set and maybe 20-25$ for "elite" set with custom animations

As someone mentioned above, You were talking about the currency as "gems" PLEASE DONT do the 980 gems for 20$ when a full set might cost 1000 gems.

And if this game turns into a lockbox mess like CS:GO il find another game.

Also if character slots is a problem of space/cost, Sell it.. It would be the first thing id buy.

@ddace quote:

I am probably not the target audience for this game to make money.  I just don't get into skins so I cant understand why someone would pay over $5 for something that doesn't add anything to gameplay.  For DD1, I was perfectly happy paying for the extra content and have bought multiple copies of DLC to give out to friends.

I would consider buying a costume for $5 if it looked extremely good.  Maybe $1 for an accessory.  However those would be few and far between if they dont add anything to the gameplay.  

^ this should be the type of players trendy should target. By overpricing items trendy could lose out on making a bigger profit had it been cheaper.

example:

lets say trendy wants to go with $10 for costume pricing. By lowering the actual cost of the costume to maybe $5, unlock dyes for $1 per color, and sell the bundle(costume and all dyes) for $10+. They would appeal to more of their player base since players could buy the costume for a reasonable price and purchase color dyes for it later on down the road. Being able to appeal to a bigger player base would be much more helpful as new heroes and new costumes are made.

@DilaDia quote:

Also if character slots is a problem of space/cost, Sell it.. It would be the first thing id buy.

I have no issues paying for extra character slots.

Here are some opinions: 

embellishments should be priced at $1-$5 depending on quality.

Skins should cost between $10 and $20 and should have some innate and some purchasable embellishments.

Skin embellishments should have the option to be bought separately or in a bundle. 

No single skin bundle should cost over twice the skin price.

Some $1-embellishments should be obtainable through gameplay for player retention.

I already love this game so much, so personally i don't care what the prices are. I want this game to live for a very long time, and the only way that's gonna happen is paying Trendy for the great work they do every day.

Having said that, i think it's extremely important to hit the right price levels to get the majority of players onboard. I have no idea what these skins should cost though.

Something they mentioned in the stream was getting random rewards. This is fine for free items. However random rewards for real money is a major turn off for me. No matter the price if I see "pay for random reward" I start to seriously regret any support I've given that game in the past.

@Hecate quote:

Something they mentioned in the stream was getting random rewards. This is fine for free items. However random rewards for real money is a major turn off for me. No matter the price if I see "pay for random reward" I start to seriously regret any support I've given that game in the past.

The random rewards in the stream was that you get some free keys weekly, to open lockboxes found, for a random drop of accesories. Not all will be possible to get this way though. There wasn't said anything about random for money, you should ask them in the devstream 17 question thread if you are wondering.

More than $15 is way too much for a skin, you can buy a whole new game for $15. I'm not too sure if it takes more work to make a single skin than making a whole game, but $5-$15 price range would probably be okay depending on what the skin features.  Accessories should just be $1-2 for a key like other games that have a feature like this. In the end it's all up to Trendy but I really hope they don't go over board with the skin prices, unless they go all out and make "Ultimate" skins like in League of Legends we can expect higher prices ($20+).

Why not have the price be variable - the more people who buy and use a skin, the more it costs?  Starting at say $0.99 for a skin (4 items) and then capping at around $7.99 (and lowering again gradually as other skins are added).

This would help to ensure that the popular skins earn more for the devs, while also incentivizing players to look more diverse.

As for prices, I actually think $10 is way too much for a single skin.  $10 buys an expansion pack/DLC in other games so I think it would have to be $10 for a set of 3-4 skins or something.  Yes they take time to create but if some of them are being given away anyway I think odds are there will be lots of skins available and there will definitely be players who buy them all, and others (a majority) who will only buy them at the right price.

@lordhaart quote:

Why not have the price be variable - the more people who buy and use a skin, the more it costs?  Starting at say $0.99 for a skin (4 items) and then capping at around $7.99 (and lowering again gradually as other skins are added).

This would help to ensure that the popular skins earn more for the devs, while also incentivizing players to look more diverse.

As for prices, I actually think $10 is way too much for a single skin.  $10 buys an expansion pack/DLC in other games so I think it would have to be $10 for a set of 3-4 skins or something.  Yes they take time to create but if some of them are being given away anyway I think odds are there will be lots of skins available and there will definitely be players who buy them all, and others (a majority) who will only buy them at the right price.

I actually like the model you proposed for increased cost, though it would need refinement to limit people from staying up and buying it the second it's released for cheap. If it started around $4-5 and then slowly moved up towards $10 as more people bought it, that would be a good model. Such as first 500 people get it at $4, next 2000 get it at $5, next 3000 get it at 6, then everyone else can buy it at $7. After awhile, the price could slowly be lowered to about $5. 

Just a friendly reminder guys :)

There's a lot of good discussion going on here, just remember to be civil and don't stray too far from the original topic. I know anything relating to money can be a touchy subject, but please keep those points in mind.

Thanks for your understanding, and happy posting!

@gnollmar quote:

@Hecate quote:

The random rewards in the stream was that you get some free keys weekly, to open lockboxes found, for a random drop of accesories. Not all will be possible to get this way though. There wasn't said anything about random for money, you should ask them in the devstream 17 question thread if you are wondering.

Actually they did specifically say they are considering selling the keys.

I'm pretty concerned about getting keys for free, as that is literally lost revenue for Trendy. I'm really hoping they reconsider, as I would really prefer to keep cosmetics only for those who support the game financially (even if its $1).

@gigazelle quote:

I'm pretty concerned about getting keys for free, as that is literally lost revenue for Trendy. I'm really hoping they reconsider, as I would really prefer to keep cosmetics only for those who support the game financially (even if its $1).

I still maintain my stance on having certain cosmetic items that are shop specific, and having a different set, that can be obtained through in-game methods, and having each be unique in their own ways.

I don't want "fun" items, to only be obtainable through cash only. That said, I do want people to support the game, but I still like having fun items that I can obtain through in game only as well.

I would just say, go look at League Of Legends, the most successful F2P game to date. Consider that you will not be as successful, obviously. Then determine a price you think will make most players want to spend money. Anything above 5 dollars a skin to me, feels a bit too high. Then again I have spent like 300 dollars on league. 

If you make quality skins, people will buy them. If you make quality skins and charge a low price, a lot of people will buy them.

@Tristaris quote:

I still maintain my stance on having certain cosmetic items that are shop specific, and having a different set, that can be obtained through in-game methods, and having each be unique in their own ways.

I don't want "fun" items, to only be obtainable through cash only. That said, I do want people to support the game, but I still like having fun items that I can obtain through in game only as well.

Based on what we saw in the Devstream I would assume that the default skin accessories will be the ones that are available through gameplay(but also purchasable), since there are a large variety of them. While the alternate themes/skins with 1 set of accessories will be only attainable through micro-transaction.

Went back to watch the devstream again and Mr Asher actually confirmed this model.

@Syclic quote:

@Tristaris quote:

Based on what we saw in the Devstream I would assume that the default skin accessories will be the ones that are available through gameplay(but also purchasable), since there are a large variety of them. While the alternate themes/skins with 1 set of accessories will be only attainable through micro-transaction.

You could be correct, I hadn't really put too much thought into that actually. I'm interested in seeing what direction Trendy does decide to go with, and suppose we'll have to wait until the 28th in order to see!

So to clarify, accessories based on the default outfit are unlocked through gameplay, and costumes are paid features right? That's not a half bad model.

It is also VERY important how the purchasable outfits are going to be presented in the shop. Sure... 5$+ for a good looking outfit... but make sure the potential buyer is aware of the possibility of the costume's evolution. By this I don't mean a really really easy possibility to realize the costume's true potential. At least 90% of the customers aren't properly reading explanations anyway. Normally it is their own fault for not understanding then but in this case it can be lost money.

@gigazelle quote:

So to clarify, accessories based on the default outfit are unlocked through gameplay, and costumes are paid features right? That's not a half bad model.

he mentioned there 3 different ways to get the default skin accessories in the devstream.

So much split opinions, we might need to start a war. As always when it comes to this subject its hard to come into a consensus.

Right now the main line of thoughts are:

1.Because the game will be free to play and the costumes wont impact gameplay, the pricing needs to support the game.

2.The costumes can't be as expensive as a new game.

3.By overpricing items trendy could lose out on making a bigger profit had it been cheaper. (quote from keona)

I said before that i didn't mind 20-40 bucks, however after putting some thought, if that was the price i would probably be resistant in buying, mainly because i'm from another country and i need to multiply the dollar price by 3, but i know that is not an excuse so the second reason is that i can buy a new game with that money.

By the end of the day, only those who made the skins knows how much effort was put into it.

I think that, to reach the optimal decision we need to experiment with different prices and see how the community responds(of course we need to come up with a initial price for that).  

I posted already around pricing but I have to be honest I'm pretty hard to sell to on a purely cosmetic front.

Dont really care too much if my hero looks the same. Yes its nice to look fancy but I normally wouldn't pay for just cosmetics.

Convenience items however are a different matter :p