Sign in to follow this  
PandynatorDD

Play now, get your pet in 8 hours - 48 hours later scramble them eggs.

As much as I want to embrace this idea and how it might make, put an emphasis on MIGHT make players return more often. I just can not do that. 

On paper to me, this sounds horrible. As a player I do not want loot that I have already gotten, achieved, bled and sweat for, to rot because for some reason I did not have time to log in. 

Okay, we PC gamers, might not bleed for the loots. But it sometimes it somewhat feels like that. You might argue and say, eggs will not be that rare and you can upgrade them. But then again, you need to wait 8 hours for ONE pet, that might just turn out to be the worst you have ever seen. I do not feel motivated..

Being able to change the stats of the pets might help though, but then again if you are looking for that 1 in a 100 rare pet to hatch. Lets say you are out of luck and get it at 99/100(Some will get it at 1/100, but yes some people will be the person that hatches 99 before they get the rare one)

So the person that needs to hatch 99 eggs(Heck, RNG is RNG, you might need 500), before being lucky and getting the rare one. You will have to hatch an egg every 8 hours for 33, thirty three days.

And you know how RNG is RNG and if you bring a time sink into an RNG system. Ugh, please no. I would rather see hard to achieve goals, missions, special challenges than putting a time limit on how often you get to "roll the wheel of fortune"..

Does time gated RNG sound motivating to me? Nope. Combine that with if you dont log in within X hours of obtaining the loot, it gets scrambled. 

Well at least let us feed our pets with the scrambled eggs we all will end up having when we log into the game! 

Hi!  I came back, oh yum I got some scrambled eggs in my inventory...

Hey you got to view the topic from a future perspective. They want the game to be f2p but sell skins to get money, but how do you sell skins? You need the player to come back to your game more then once b/c like 99% of the players wont buy any skins in their first game. And this 8h is to motivate players to start the game once again and huh i found another egg and so the chance of them buying a skin in the 2nd, 3th or in one of the games later is alot higher.

Normally, I am not ok with things like "incubation time" because there is always a pay2finish mechanic in all of those games, but Trendy has already stated they will not put this in. So I am fine with it, it will promote returning to the game and it fits thematically that an egg takes time to hatch.

I am fine with eggs 'rotting', but I think 48 hours is too short of time. I would rather it be say, a week.

Also, I think eggs should scramble, not rot. Sounds less like animal cruelty and more like food.

I think it's a fine system. Because the way loot in DD goes, you're either going to have eggs to the rafters and can pick and chose only the best, or they will be rare, and having multiple eggs at once will be uncommon enough that there is no issue with rot.

Although I don't really know the details of their plans that well, I would really like to see the system not punish people who can't get on every day.  Some times I can play every day of the week and other times I might be lucky to be able to play 1 or 2 days out of the week. I will be discouraged from playing the game if I feel like I will be going "backwards" because I can't play for the next few days.  What's the point having a game if you don't have time to deal with your loot at the end of said game and as a result you lose everything?

@Ryster quote:

Normally, I am not ok with things like "incubation time" because there is always a pay2finish mechanic in all of those games, but Trendy has already stated they will not put this in. So I am fine with it, it will promote returning to the game and it fits thematically that an egg takes time to hatch.

I am fine with eggs 'rotting', but I think 48 hours is too short of time. I would rather it be say, a week.

Also, I think eggs should scramble, not rot. Sounds less like animal cruelty and more like food.

I think a rot time of 48 hours is fine, as long as it's not possible to gather enough eggs and not be able to hatch them purely because of a time limit.

If you are able to farm 7+ eggs fairly quick, then potentially you are going to lose out on a few eggs because you can't hatch them quick enough before they rot, that would be sad :(

@PandynatorDD quote:

You will have to hatch an egg every 8 hours for 33, thirty three days.

They said on the devstream that we would start, in the first pet-patch, with just 1 incubation slot. That doesn't necessarily mean that we will only ever have one. I think it's better to wait till the patch comes out and see the drop rate on eggs and how these different rarities work etc. before asking them to change anything. I think it's safe to assume that in the future one could purchase additional slots for premium or non-premium currency.

Side note: I used to play Warframe quite a bit. The pets there have an incubation time of 96 hrs. Also, your active pet will die if you don't log in for 10 days and you cannot loot an egg if a pet is already being incubated. The incubation yields a random pet type and you want 1 of each type (4 types), so if you get one you already have you basically just vendor it. So, yeah, the pet system in DD2 is not the worst idea I've ever heard.

tl;dr: Let's just wait and see how it is and then provide some feedback (or raise our pitchforks) ^^

@Lynq quote:

@Ryster quote:

I think a rot time of 48 hours is fine, as long as it's not possible to gather enough eggs and not be able to hatch them purely because of a time limit.

If you are able to farm 7+ eggs fairly quick, then potentially you are going to lose out on a few eggs because you can't hatch them quick enough before they rot, that would be sad :(

though, if you get 7 eggs, 2 of them are dragon eggs (which is the ones you currently want), then that will make it easier for you to get what you want, rather than using something else just because its better :P

The eggs take 8 hours to hatch, and they rot in 48 hours. Sooner or later the Mercenary onslaught match will be out and we will be getting an egg every 5 waves thanks to the chest. So if you farm for 8 hours say you get 40 eggs in that 8 hours, could be more could be less depending on how fast you can clear those waves. you can hatch 1 every 8 hours, that means you will have time to hatch 6 maybe 7 before they rot . So if you get 40 eggs and hatch 7 and 33, it doesn't sound too great to have most of your hard earned eggs rot.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who absolutely hates this mechanic.  I don't play a loot based game to wait for my gear to unlock.  I don't like games that force me to change my schedule otherwise I'm ruined.  I have a job, and a family that requires my schedule be flexible.  And I sure as hell am not going to tell them "Oh sorry, I can't help you today otherwise my eggs will spoil."  I sincerely hope they change their mind on this one, because I'm not playing a game with that kind of mechanic.

Well they are being pretty forceful about the pet system of 48 hour scramble eggs, but what are the chances that you will actually keep all of them? Most people would make it a collections of 1 of each species, or 2 of each species for Hero DMG or Tower DMG, or even legendary pet species collection, or etc... If they're gonna rot soon, then sell and farm some more? It's not like you're just gonna do 1 round and stop there and just incubate until they hatch right? So you're not wasting any eggs at all when you have more coming... Plus you're playing on their server so it's not an offline game anymore anytime so you're still being forced to play and not stay idle to get kick from server around 3-5 minutes of AFKing. So just like what Jigmz say, we just have to wait and see and provide feedbacks because they are making this game based on our votes...

@Jigmz quote:

tl;dr: Let's just wait and see how it is and then provide some feedback (or raise our pitchforks) ^^

And hopefully they allow us to feed those extra eggs to our active pets to leveling them up would put them to good use like equipment to upgrade equipment so the same thing applies to pet for eggs, but dunno what they're plan are so we will just have to wait and see.

The only problem i have with this is the 48 Hours before the eggs "Scramble"

Either bump the time up to a week like someone has mentioned.

Or stop the... "Cooking" time of eggs if there is an egg in the incubator.

Devs don't want Pay to Finish if it was real money, but in game currency could be sufficient. Especially if players can earn higher currency or special items like Gems, Diamonds, Crystals, etc. as material to upgrade or use for various means; they could use those specific currencies excluding Gold to quicken the process. A lot of players collect a lot of loot and rummage through it all, with 48 hours and the 8 hour wait time, this really limits players

Reasons:

If someone is doing onslaught mode, when they pick up an Egg the timer starts. If they are going for that top notch item then they wont want to stop playing. Say if they made it so that eggs are their rewards for each round. Once you obtain a certain amount of eggs you should stop playing or the next egg you pick up will "Scramble" before you get it into the incubator.

If someone plays DD2 on the weekends for a good portion of the day, the 48 hours really limits them on how much eggs they can pick up before knowing some will end up vanishing. 

Devs want someone to come back to the game, but players only come back to a game they put a lot of time into. If a player is really fishing for a good pet they wouldn't want to end up wasting time with a lot of pets.

About onslaught and eggs. eggs will probablby not be an onslaught item, as they are going to be considered quite rare. Lets look at it this way; eggs are neither gear nor weapons ^^.

The point of incubation is player retention, and I am 100% okay with this game mechanic.

The point of rotting (or scrambling) is for you to pick and choose which pets you want to raise.

If you are done with an onslaught session, you're only going to keep the top 1-2 eggs you find anyway, so why bother incubating the dozen others you find? Log in once or twice a day, incubate the pet types you want to keep, sell the rest. 

@gnollmar quote:

About onslaught and eggs. eggs will probablby not be an onslaught item, as they are going to be considered quite rare. Lets look at it this way; eggs are neither gear nor weapons ^^.

I know what they are but in previous Devstreams they specifically mention "Or Pets when they are implemented" So i myself am not just making that part up.

Even "If" pets aren't going to be rewarded or dropped in onslaught mode. If someone acquires a good amount of pets, they wont even be able to play onslaught mode as long as they want unless they stop at 8hours. Even if people don't even make it that far in onslaught mode, if you have more than 6eggs you wont be able to hatch the rest if you've obtained them within the same hour. Since most players play for 2-3 hours a day when they get on DD2, that gives them 51 hours to hatch any 1 egg that was found during that last hour. which only amounts to 7 eggs possible.

As Rare as they are they can't be much more rare than legendaries since some can become common and uncommon. Which mean they have at least 1 dropping every time you play a map.

You're not meant to hatch every single egg you come across. The design behind it is to hatch the ones you're going to use and sell the rest, similar to how usable gear is right now. How often do you come across a legendary you actually equip? For me, it's once every few evenings, and my stats aren't even that great. Pets will likely be the same.

What we'll likely see is that we pick a pet from the several eggs we find that evening, hatch it, and sell the rest just like we do with gear. Keep the useful ones, sell the rest. Only with pets, we have to incubate the ones we want to use first.

It's different for equipping. Plus all of them aren't guaranteed to be any good when you hatch them anyways.

I use almost all of my gear somehow. They either get sold or i burn them towards a new legendary using the gold sold from others. I never sell legendaries, i let the TIB sell all the others. So yes i may not equip them but i use them as materials to upgrade the ones i do equip. Essentially all of my legendaries i "Wear" >.>

The point of anything dropping is to be able to have some control of what happens to them. Now if you don't even know what it is why would you sell it??

For instance Destiny.

If anyone knows their endgame loot you'll know what i'm talking about.

Their loot drops as Engrams, that you have to bring to the Cryptart to decode.

Even Rare (3rd highest gear but irrelevant endgame) Engrams, that if it becomes rare gear you wont wear for whatever reason, have a chance to become Legendaries (2nd highest gear) are never sold. If people have a chance of getting something good, they will want to know what it becomes. In that game finding out is instant, so you can collect even beyond the capacity of what you can carry and the rest basically gets "Mailed" to you. After finding out what they all become then people sell them. Nobody wants to sell something they think can be pretty awesome.

@gnollmar quote:

if you remember during that vote they said

"Mercenary

Lock your reward category (Armor, Weapons, Eggs, Gold, etc) at the beginning of the session. As each round is completed, you get a chest from your chosen loot category. "

not sure about you but i see eggs as one of the categories 

@gigazelle quote:

The point of incubation is player retention, and I am 100% okay with this game mechanic.

The point of rotting (or scrambling) is for you to pick and choose which pets you want to raise.

If you are done with an onslaught session, you're only going to keep the top 1-2 eggs you find anyway, so why bother incubating the dozen others you find? Log in once or twice a day, incubate the pet types you want to keep, sell the rest. 

Some people might want to collect them all, also you don't know which type of the species you get till your egg hatches so say i want the really rare shenron dragon. i wont know if i have it till the egg hatches, so i could have gotten 30 dragon eggs in 8 hours but of those 30 i will only see what 6 or 7 of them will turn out to be

For the people who just think "i want a dragon pet" then sure any dragon egg is fine for them so being able to hatch so few before they expire is fine., i would prefer to have one of the rarer ones so i look a little different than the others who are running around with the blue dragon, or red dragon.

Guys guys guys and girls grils and grills. The rotting isn't a problem at all. Let's say you are able to get 100 eggs in the 8hours if you play all the time. If there are going to be rare eggs and you get them more than you can hatch in 48hours. You will keep getting more and you won't lose anything after all. It's not like 1 of them randomly had 100% chance to give you the rarest and best stat rolls of all time and you didn't get a chance to hatch it because of rotting time.

@Bunniecake quote:

Guys guys guys and girls grils and grills. The rotting isn't a problem at all. Let's say you are able to get 100 eggs in the 8hours if you play all the time. If there are going to be rare eggs and you get them more than you can hatch in 48hours. You will keep getting more and you won't lose anything after all. It's not like 1 of them randomly had 100% chance to give you the rarest and best stat rolls of all time and you didn't get a chance to hatch it because of rotting time.

You will be losing a chance at getting a rarer pet skin since you will be losing eggs due to rot. it is like, you can get as many lottery tickets as you want, but you cant only check one every 8 hours, oh btw once you get a ticket it will become invalid within 48 hours if it is not checked. Sure you can keep getting more, but one of them might of turned out to be a winning ticket. In the case of this game, a rare version of the pet. Because you have no idea which skin you will be getting till your egg has hatched.

[[75772,users]] well it's your loss if you think that way. 1 every 8 hours is the rate and you can keep it up 100%, only way you lose a chance is not logging in every 8 hours. You can't really count every drop as a chance in a system like this. Pets wouldn't be rare. You don't want the drop rates to become 1 egg every 8hours of grinding or do you? Because that's what you are asking for them to do.

" but one of them might of turned out to be a winning ticket"

Like I said, one of them were not guaranteed to be a super rare ultimate mega hyper legendary pet/stat roll. They all have equal chances because of the RNG god of DD2. It's random every egg has the same chance, the chance doesnt change after 99 hatches it is still the same. It's the statistics that guarantee your success, eventually with a 1% drop rate, 1% of the drops are the rare drops. It might not be the first 100 or first 200 but after 10000000 drops it's close to 100000 rare ones.

@Bunniecake quote:

Kagetane Hiruko well it's your loss if you think that way. 1 every 8 hours is the rate and you can keep it up 100%, only way you lose a chance is not logging in every 8 hours. You can't really count every drop as a chance in a system like this. Pets wouldn't be rare. You don't want the drop rates to become 1 egg every 8hours of grinding or do you? Because that's what you are asking for them to do.

That's not at all what he's asking them to do.  The 8 hour rule is an arbitrary design because Trendy wanted this game to be F2P.  It exists only because they want a system that brings people back later, which I absolutely despise.  As I said before, I have a life.  I have no desire to play a game that punishes me for missing a few days because of things in said life taking priority.  Something like this wouldn't be necessary if the game weren't F2P.

[[62751,users]]

They are bringing us the reroll consumables for pets. So only reason to hatch the eggs is to get a different appearance or species. So it's making it harder to get the rarest pet looks. If you guys have any other ideas how they can do it, suggest it. The only other way I can think of is decreasing the drop rates of eggs to insanely low.

It really isn't punishing the players who play less, it requires some long term effort if you really really want to get the mad hatter cat or something else.

And I don't think you should be getting something rare if you don't play. If less time spent on the game doesnt give you less, what is the point to spend more time in it?

@Bunniecake quote:

Kagetane Hiruko well it's your loss if you think that way. 1 every 8 hours is the rate and you can keep it up 100%, only way you lose a chance is not logging in every 8 hours. You can't really count every drop as a chance in a system like this. Pets wouldn't be rare. You don't want the drop rates to become 1 egg every 8hours of grinding or do you? Because that's what you are asking for them to do.

" but one of them might of turned out to be a winning ticket"

Like I said, one of them were not guaranteed to be a super rare ultimate mega hyper legendary pet/stat roll. They all have equal chances because of the RNG god of DD2. It's random every egg has the same chance, the chance doesnt change after 99 hatches it is still the same. It's the statistics that guarantee your success, eventually with a 1% drop rate, 1% of the drops are the rare drops. It might not be the first 100 or first 200 but after 10000000 drops it's close to 100000 rare ones.

Imagine if gear also had some type of time limit. Say if in order for you to keep them you'd have to wear them or they get sold. In order for you to wear them you'd have to put them through some sort of 8hour forging process. If you found the most amazing gear with the best stats ever, and you had 1piece of gear in the forger, and you had several other pieces of gear you needed to put through the forger. For the sake of comparison let's say you had enough to where several of the items will fade away.You wouldn't want to lose out on all the top notch gear that you found. 

The chance for gear now to be lvl 25 is low. So if you had a bunch of lvl 25 gear that you needed to get through that process just to keep them for good, you'll be screwed. You may not know how the Egg will turn out but not everyone just succumbs to RNG and think it's going to be crap until it turns out to be good.

Some people deem every piece of dropped loot as being possibly good if they don't know what it is. There are a lot of people (probably the people that hate this 48hour feature or they'll rot going hand in hand with the long 8hour incubation time.) that deem every piece of random possible gear ok or good until they find out it's crap. They still want to know if it'll become good. Nobody wants to lose out on possibly good gear or anything if they put the time in for it to drop.

Then you have collectors. If they have the room for it they'll keep them regardless. For now there really isn't a reason to sell anything nor is there a feature for using eggs to help with an incubating egg or whatever. Like the upgrading system.

Also pets come with various stats ranging from green to yellow. Not only are we trying to find that Shenron pet, we're trying to get a pet that has good stats and you wont know when it drops like every other piece of current gear.

RNG is RNG but some people don't play each game wrapped around the thought of RNG will make everything bad. They look forward to the fact it might randomly turn out to be good. Eventually one of the eggs will be good yes, but several of the eggs you'd had to just let rot could have been good as well. Players don't want to end up with Crap pets and have several eggs just rot with the possibility of them actually being useful or what they want.