Crafting/Upgrading and Onslaught item/hour Discussion

So with the new Influence Vote, and the talk about crafting and materials, I've started wondering on how that would work.
Would mats just be extra items that drop from monsters? Would mats come from desinchanting items ? Would some mats come from specific enemies?

I can imagine an Etheria in which items would be desinchanted into dusts/crystals used as XP to upgrade other items (much like the way the current upgrading system works), and what about materials dropping from specific monsters? That was used on Diablo 3 crafting system, and later on reverted because people had to farm random rare spawns to have a random chance at a material, and it was the opposite of fun, so surely such a thing wouldn't have a place in Dungeon Defenders 2, right? Well, I disagree, and here is why:

Onslaught Mode. This mode seems to be aimed at farming items, so it will have better item drop per time spent ratio than Incursions, and unless each and every incursion has some specific drop that incentivizes players to run that specific one, most of them will be deserted, because players already have their rewards, or because those rewards are irrelevant in the current state of the game. So what about having 1 specific material drop come from each incursion (or bundle them into groups of 2 that drop the same material) ? Well, that would lead for you to have to switch from just farming Onslaught 100% of the time, to mixing it up with doing some Incursions! Awesome if you ask me!

Example: Robert farmed Onslaught for a couple of hours, and finally found that Legendary Shield that makes you immune to knockbacks while blocking, with Def Power stat nonetheless!!! So now that he has his item, he is ready to improve it, either by enhancing it or just crafting stuff on the item (depends on which vote wins). He talks to the lady on the tavern and she tells him he must provide her with 100 Sparklemist Dust, 5 Etherian Shards and 2 Demon Blood Vials. He checks his material inventory tab (with infinity capacity) and notices he has every ingredient except for the Demon Blood Vials. He knows those are some of the items rewarded for completing some Incursions, but he doesn't recall which ones, so he brings up the Incursion Map and checks it out. According to the ingame UI, both The Throne Room Incursion and The Ramparts Incursion award 1 Demon Blood Vial on completion, so he chooses one, and starts a run.

After that he met some players that were new to the game and were running those incursions for the first time, he helped them and showed them the ways of the Leet, and everyone lived happily forever more.

Notice: In my imagination, Dusts came from 23+ items of  epic and mythic quality, while Etherian Shards came from Legendaries.

Now I ask, Would you be interested in such a system? Are you OK with only running Onslaught past a certain point in the game? What would you do to incentivize players to run both Incursions and Onslaught mode?

PS: This is a repost from the Defense Council General Discussion Forum, so see if other opinions arrise.

I haven't seen the latest devstream yet, so I'm not sure if they provided any additional info.  But to me, the description of crafting makes it seem that the materials would just be another weapon or piece of armor that you would use to combine into an item with the stats you want.

There's just that tiny little problem that we can't craft items.. it's just an item upgrade system.

But yes If crafter wins would be great to scatter those materials for item upgrading to different maps and modes and all over the place and make the drop rate really low so they still have to farm for the stats they want.

The problem is that "crafter" is more of a philosophy for future systems(enhancer too), so its hard to say that it will work in that way.What i think will happen is : They will think of a new systems based on the current influence vote and will make another influence vote for us to choose.

One could argue that in the enhancer you would need materials in order to enhance the item otherwise would be just like the current upgrade system, but then again its just speculation... we don't know what they gonna do if enhancer or crafter wins and probably not even them.

Yap very right it's a philosophy. That's why am not betting on crafter because I dont vote for something that has to be changed for me to get anything useful out of it. Voting for crafter and crossing fingers that in the future something about it will happen is not my thing.

I still haven't voted, hoping for a bit more details on what is what. And also, got like 0 points because of the last vote thingy.

My point with the thread is just that I was hoping/expecting the new upgrade/craft/enhance system to use materials besides raw items, and if that was really the case then I'd like for mats to be assigned to seperate modes, because most playtime will already be spent on Onslaughts.

I hope mats are tiered and all mobs can drop mats from all tiers except the highest tier which would be specific to bosses.

I've thought about mats being tied to maps and that could work but I'd hate farming on maps I don't like for common grade materials and players might leave mid match once they gather the stuff they need. however, if this is the plan.  it should be from a boss on specific maps or maybe from the reward chest it would promote players staying for the whole game.