Sign in to follow this  
Azrik

ETA on controller support?

* I bumped this thread to emphasize my sincere anticipation for controller support for a cool game~ I do not think that is a crime ~ In fact it seems that I finally got an answer as to where Controller support is.

* From my understanding:  Someone outside DD2 is contracted (Sony Devs)  to provide controller support for the PS4 ~ Where they are now working on a UI  to then be ported over to PC by DD2 Devs etc ~

~ As to when this UI and support will become available is any ones guess, this is where someone has to speed things up a bit...due to the Relative demand for this support in the game, as a critical function to be able to actually play the game properly, it might be proper to decrease the amount of time without controller support for the game due to the critical need for it as a Foundation for playing the Game itself. IMO.(Already understood its only Alpha ~ But must ackowledge the new market that requires basic functions to play your games:  See below)

* If you guys can do us a favor ~ And Tell them we're waiting, as well the fact that you are waiting, then maybe they'll (PS4) will understand that this feature might be as important to you guys as the current features you're working to improve already with your own Devs.

Note: I'm sure everyone understands that PC Hardware is the future of game profits. Consoles are cheap toys for teens and under. to say you make money selling toys is not a profitable business venture, for any Game dev IMO.

To acknowledge a new Market that is now appearing is to embrace more capital for profits ~ Controllers are the basic function of any expensive toy (toy being $3,000 of gaming hardware). The people who can afford these toys are the ones that pay your Salaries.

@dungeondefender008 quote:As to when this UI and support will become available is any ones guess, this is where someone has to speed things up a bit...due to the Relative demand for this support in the game, as a critical function to be able to actually play the game properly, it might be proper to decrease the amount of time without controller support for the game due to the critical need for it as a Foundation for playing the Game itself.

Or, it might make sense to wait on controller support until all the base systems are in place. What happens when pets get something special that needs to be tied to player input?  Suddenly they need to change the controller setup to remap the functionality behind one of the buttons.  What if an unannounced system will need 4 buttons and players have already gotten used to the pre-alpha layout?

With a keyboard there are plenty of keys that can be used for various functions, but a controller is limited.  It is unfair to make claims that controller support shouldn't be too hard to add or needs to be forefront of development.  I mean, how would you feel if several buttons were unused as a sort of "reserved for future system" placeholder.  Most players will likely try to bind current things to those and then get mad when their controller layout needs to be changed.

Also important to note is the work that needs to be put into displayed inputs.  If the screen informs the player to "Press G to ready" then that will need to be adjusted to be able to display a controller button, since most controller players don't want to remember that when the screen says 'G' key it means Square button.

@dungeondefender008 quote:Controllers are the basic function of any expensive toy (toy being $3,000 of gaming hardware). The people who can afford these toys are the ones that pay your Salaries.

First, who is spending $3,000 on a PS4 (the only console announced for DD2)?  You shouldn't even be spending $3,000 on a PC for DD2.

Second, 100% of pre-alpha players are playing on a PC, so they are extremely likely (if not guaranteed) to have a keyboard and mouse.  Also, the subset of PC players that want to use a controller is one thing, but since the game is only planned for PS4, the PC players that will use a PS4 controller is likely ridiculously small.

* Oh just received a flame Message from Bunnie etc.

Nice ~ It sad when people on forums seem to have the need to accuse other people of having problems, when in fact they have the problem.

* I bought the game ~ It happend not to have controller support ~ DD1 Did.

I come to the forum to reuqest that feature ~ Like a TON of other features people have been requesting ~ It's still no crime ~

Yelling at me becaue...lol I can't use keyboard and Mouse is Rediculus and sort of childish ~ " I'e tried and still cannot play the game properly as with a controller.

It's understood that Xpadder will do things ~ But still not persistnet than with controller support.

* I'm glad I've finally have gotten an answer for controller support.

My only issue now is ~ Yes Waiting for it to be implemented ~ Which could mean when its officialy released.

Yah I'm really sorry dd008 but I like to keep the arguing somewhere out of the forums.

It's your loss in life if u can't do anything differently than you are used to. That's the childish, spoiled brat thinking. I'm sorry that you don't see it.

Waiting is only an issue if you make it one. You are given an answer so you if you don't want to wait travel in to the future.

Well this got heated really quick! [[76481,users]] got his answer, can we please all calm down? There is no need to start a console war or "PC master race" conversation here. 

@Bunniecake quote:

Yah I'm really sorry dd008 but I like to keep the arguing somewhere out of the forums.

It's your loss in life if u can't do anything differently than you are used to. That's the childish, spoiled brat thinking. I'm sorry that you don't see it.

Waiting is only an issue if you make it one. You are given an answer so you if you don't want to wait travel in to the future.

* *No issue here ~ I'll just pretend the game is not available yet, and play the game when it actually is officially released, even if that could be months down the road. It will be my Birthday present ;)

@Bunniecake quote:

You are not bumping this thread up again, controller support is coming and "ETA" is given by iamisom.

I invested some of my time for you dungeondefender008 even I hate these controller whining topics.

Here is your answer given by iamisom

"Controller support is a high priority for us. We are working with a partner on the PS4 version of the game who is helping us develop, among other things, official controller support + a controller-based UI. We don't just want to have controller support -- we want to make sure the game is optimized for people who choose either input method, particularly in regards to menu/inventory navigation (a lesson learned from DD1/DDE). Once they have finished their work in this regard, it's our plan to port that over to the Windows/Mac/Linux versions. This is why we have stated that, in the meantime, the community may use the community-created profiles."

There is no such a thing as "low" on priority list, the reason is right there above in the answer iamisom gave. They are waiting for their partner who works with the PS4 version of the game, to make it work properly in terms of navigation which has been an issue with DD1/DDE.

There is no need to gather influence points to get controller support in the game because it is 100% fact that it is coming. Whining doesn't help it at all. What you can do right now to help them out with this, is wait.

Yeah, and I hate all the people complaining about people "asking" about controller support. We want it on the PC for DD2, without having to install some 3rd party app that kills the normal controller support in every other game that already has it. And I don't know how old you are but if you want people to respect you then you're going to have to learn a little yourself and stop calling people whiners. It's rude and uncalled for.  And not that is is any of your business but I am disabled and can't use a mouse and keyboard for very long without considerable pain which makes it so I can't play.  I can hold a controller without too much pain.

+1 Dramor

Have we heard if their implementation is going to be raw or octo-directional? I'd assume raw, but it's nice to have confirmation.

I think its beyond chuckle worthy when people get bent about others asking for this.  As a DD1er, I've greatly enjoyed my wireless xbox360 setup - indeed thats been key and what got me to move to PC Steam for DD and set it all up - its foolishness not to expect those players such as myself will expect to be able to play as good / better natively in DD2 as we did in DD1.

As a fan I took the plunge (and virus/maleware scares and kludgey interface) but I want xpadder gone as soon as I'm able.  I dont want PS4 controller support - if you skip the xbox one, PS4 is your console so be it, but ignorning ms xbox 360 controllers on the PC when many steam games support them would be a real miss with many DD1ers and Steam 'controller support' fans.

This doesnt need 'well I'm fine with mouse keyboard' chat.  Great.  Good for you.  Heard of big picture mode?  Local multiplayer?  Or the fact this game does great with a controller?  Sure I type messages and interact somewhat in more depth here and there but this game has no life for me mouse and keyboard as primary controllers (or making me get someone elses like ps4s), that's all there is to It.

So I bought just about all of DD1, now bought DD2, but yes real Steam / xbox 360 controller support remains a big piece of my longevity with it and my recruitment of friends, etc.  In fact done right maybe they'll get me to buy a steam controller or something crazy, but for now I'll deal with xpadder until my native expectations are met.

@Squat quote:

I don't understand peoples obsession with controller support... It is VERY low on the list of priorities so stop wasting time bringing it up.

I can tell you one reason, people like myself have an issue with using KB/Mouse for extended time, so thats why it needs to be implemented.

My brother has issues with his hands/wrists and paying kb/m to long causes him really bad pain, controller support should be implemented asap.

@CKaz quote:

I think its beyond chuckle worthy when people get bent about others asking for this.  As a DD1er, I've greatly enjoyed my wireless xbox360 setup - indeed thats been key and what got me to move to PC Steam for DD and set it all up - its foolishness not to expect those players such as myself will expect to be able to play as good / better natively in DD2 as we did in DD1.

As a fan I took the plunge (and virus/maleware scares and kludgey interface) but I want xpadder gone as soon as I'm able.  I dont want PS4 controller support - if you skip the xbox one, PS4 is your console so be it, but ignorning ms xbox 360 controllers on the PC when many steam games support them would be a real miss with many DD1ers and Steam 'controller support' fans.

This doesnt need 'well I'm fine with mouse keyboard' chat.  Great.  Good for you.  Heard of big picture mode?  Local multiplayer?  Or the fact this game does great with a controller?  Sure I type messages and interact somewhat in more depth here and there but this game has no life for me mouse and keyboard as primary controllers (or making me get someone elses like ps4s), that's all there is to It.

So I bought just about all of DD1, now bought DD2, but yes real Steam / xbox 360 controller support remains a big piece of my longevity with it and my recruitment of friends, etc.  In fact done right maybe they'll get me to buy a steam controller or something crazy, but for now I'll deal with xpadder until my native expectations are met.

IMO I think that when controller support does get implemented it'll include most controller types, if it's 360, PS4 or lodgitech, I think it would support most all of'em.

* Well it seems that more people require controller support for this game ~ or it's not going to sell, there's an new community of pc gamers including myself, that have outgrown consoles dated and often slow hardware cycles, and that a new market of GAMERS is emerging that require controller support for their expensive hardware.

I played DD1 on PS3 and I understand people who want to play the same way as they did on consoles. But saying that the game is 'unplayable' without controller support is a little over the top. Thats the same as saying any third person game on PC is unplayable?

I'm not saying we shouldn't have it in game, I'd love to have the option, but I'm not expecting it to be around until its required for the PS4 version.

@T-Chimp quote:

I played DD1 on PS3 and I understand people who want to play the same way as they did on consoles. But saying that the game is 'unplayable' without controller support is a little over the top. Thats the same as saying any third person game on PC is unplayable?

I'm not saying we shouldn't have it in game, I'd love to have the option, but I'm not expecting it to be around until its required for the PS4 version.

It's considered unplayable to some due to physical health issues with their hands,some people just cant play KB/M due to these issues and a controller will normally fix that.

The controller support itself (which is vital for some of us) is also required for local co-op, which is the reason I play DD.

I wasn't going to reply to this topic, but i got sucked in by the posts claiming we who want controller support should be patient.  And thats fine i don't mind waiting at all, but here is what i do have a problem with....

For those of you who clearly love your Keyboard / Mouse combo's your alright jack, going about your business loving life to the max. Me personally i CANT stand K/M combos so this is TOP PRIORITY for me, and while i haven't been about on this game to claim i waited a year and a half some have (APPARENTLY).

But what really bothers me and is starting to irritate me more and more, is just how rude and damn arrogant PC gamers really are. You talk a whole bunch of Bull from behind your keyboard, and while their isn't a damn thing i can do about that i needed to vent. I mean just how entitled do you think you are ffs ?
I don't care if your trendy staff or not, and i couldn't give two ????? if you banned me from the site and told me i couldn't purchase the game.

First off i wouldn't buy the game if i was banned for speaking my mind in the first place, second you talking of whinging (don't make me laugh) your ???? hardcore over a simple question FOR OFFICIAL CONTROLLER SUPPORT. Yes i did put that all in caps purposely, you seem to think this xpadder crap is a solution while some may be happy sure go ahead.

But A) its not official support B) i don't trust anybody when installing third party software on my PC unless they are a legit business. I did not spend over a grand on my PC to have some jackass use a backdoor from some dodgy software.

Still no controller support or split-screen. Don't worry just keep working on balance and ignore what customers request the most...Oh and if you play this game with a K&M because PC is elite; you're an idiot. K&M only surpass game-pads for RTS and FPS. This kind of game is tailored for a controller.