Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

[Early Access] Foundation: Part 2 Notes and Discussion

Foundation: Part 2 is here! This update builds upon our previous Foundation patch. Watch the video and read the patch notes below for the full rundown:

Features

Hard Mode

Hard Mode increases lane pressure through increased raw power and speed on enemies. We tuned the experience around having a full Hero Deck and maximizing your use of multiple heroes. You can access Hard Mode on each map and on each playlist from the map selection screen.

• Enemies on Hard Mode have higher base health and increased health gains per level.
  • Enemies also gain a small increase to move speed as they increase in levels.
  • Enemies with resistances have increased resistances in Hard Mode.
  • Stats and Special Stats on Hard Mode loot are 10% better than their Normal Mode counterparts.
  • Note:  Hard Mode is meant to be an alternate progression through the game. Players who are currently maxed out will probably not struggle to complete it. There will be more content in the future to entertain endgame players. Please let us know how you feel about Hard Mode playing through it with a level 1 hero.

Player Kicking

• Players can now remove AFK/toxic players from a match!
  • The Kick option is available on the Game Menu screen. 
  • In public games, kicking requires a majority vote. 
  • In private matches, the leader has free reign to kick players from a group.

Hero Deck Improvements + Powerleveling

• Players no longer have to remove heroes from their deck if the hero does not meet the level requirements.
  • In a public match, players are unable to swap to heroes that are below the level requirement.
  • In a private match, players are able to swap to any hero, regardless of the level requirement. So you can now powerlevel your heroes in a private match!

Forge Updates + Select All Items

• We’ve widened the Forge, allowing players to see more information and more bag slots at any given time.
  • Players are now able to select entire bags at a time, including the Temporary Item Box, which should make selling items much faster.
  • Updated bag sizes for standard (16 slots) and premium (32 slots) bags. Players will be able to purchase an additional 7th bag slot (up from 6).
  • New visual feedback on inventory icons makes it easier to see item rarities, selected items for selling, equippable/unequippable items and items that are currently selected for Item Enhancement.

New Legendary Weapons

• Four new Legendary Weapons, one for each hero! Plus, a new Legendary Shield for the Squire!
  • The four previous gold Legendary Weapons received a makeover. All previously earned items should be updated to the new look.

New Enemy Death Animations

• Enemies now die in hilarious new ways!

Balance

Apprentice

• Increased base damage to 175 from 125.
  • Increased Hero Damage scale to 2 from 1 per attack.

Arcane Volley

• Increased base damage to 250.
  • Increased ability point scale to 3.01.
  • Increased projectile speed.
  • Increased Mana cost to 35 from 25.

Tornado

• Increased base damage to 400.
  • Increased ability point scale to 1.34.

Mana Bomb

• Increased base damage to 960.
  • Increased ability point scale to 7.6.

Huntress

• Increased base damage to 200 from 175.
  • Increased Hero Damage growth per level to 2 from 1.6.
  • Increased Hero Damage Scale to 2.4 from 1.8.

Concussive Shots

• Increased damage value per ability point to 2.97.
  • Increased stun duration to 3.1 seconds.

Oil Flask

• Increased oil flask oiled duration to 10.2 seconds.
  • Increased ability point scale to 7.42.
  • Increased base damage of the initial hit to 500.
  • Increased burning base damage to 100.
  • Increased burning damage to 2.1 per ability point.
  • Increased burning duration to 6.1

Piercing Shot

• Increased base damage to 900.
  • Increased ability point scale to 10.1.
  • Increased projectile speed.
  • Reduced Mana cost to 75 from 100.

Monk

• Reduced base damage to 125 from 150. (More info)
  • Reduced Hero Damage growth per level to 1 from 2.

• Skyguard 

We tweaked the Skyguard scalars, increased its range and added some utility. These changes will encourage players to seek out new combos from the tower and make it the dominant Defense against Airborne enemies.

• Skyguard Tower applies a slow effect on hit.
  • Increased Skyguard attack rate.
  • Increased Skyguard gains from defense speed. Base attack rate is now 1.95 up from 2.43.
  • Reduced damage scalars per tier
  1. Tier 1: 1.5x DP
  2. Tier 2: 3x DP
  3. Tier 3: 4.5x DP
  4. Tier 4: 6x DP
  5. Tier 5: 7.5x DP
  • Increased base range to 35m.

Pole Smash

• Increased base damage to 375.
  • Increased ability point scale to 5.41
  • Increased attack range to 550.

Chi Blast

• Increased base damage to 425.
  • Increased ability point scale to 3.77.
  • Increased attack range to 550.

Heroic Wave

• Reduced buff duration base to 8.1 seconds.
  • Reduced buff duration scalar to 0.003 seconds per ability point.
  • Reduced healing per cast to 1.01 per ability point.

Squire

Seismic Slam

• Increased stun duration to 3.6 seconds.
  • Increased ability point scale to 5.24.
  • Increased base damage to 600.

Sword Beam

• Increased ability point scale to 4.01

Provoke

It was possible in certain circumstances to have 100% uptime for Provoke. We're OK with that, we just thought it was too easy to build, and it trivialized a fair bit of content. We’ve scaled down its uptime to bring it in line with other abilities. 

• Reduced based taunt duration to 8.1 seconds.
  • Reduced duration gain per point of ability power to 0.004.

Bug Fixes

• Remember that Incursion crash? Just like The American Dream, it’s dead.
  • The Item Enhancement Wheel animations can be skipped. No more hourlong upgrading sessions!
  • Fixed issue where Special Enemies and mini-bosses were killed instantaneously with the frozen + shatter combo. RIP Frogres. 
  • You can no longer be a jerk and build towers on the spawn points for all taverns.
  • The game will no longer crash when dragging an icon over a bag at the Change Bag Icon screen. 
  • Clicking “Show Equippable” while attempting to change the bag icon will no longer crash the game.
  • Fixed the crash where looking at an icon for 10 seconds would crash the game.
  • We made that last one up, but the first two icon crashes were totally real.
  • Challenge categories are now unlocked in real-time instead of Hammer Time.
  • If a player loads in and meets requirements to have a Challenge unlocked, it will be unlocked. If a player loads in and fails the requirements, the player will be asked to hang head in shame.
  • Increased the elusiveness of the Secret Meeting space.
  • Increased player aggression by mentioning Secret Meetings without revealing its secrets.
  • Players can no longer use towers to escape certain maps or gain access to inaccessible areas. You. Yes, you. Stop doing that.
  • Moved a bench that was hindering melee combat by a few inches. Every inch counts, amirite?
  • Fixed a special case where the Witherbeast’s debuff would augment the Boost Aura to make towers invincible. But it was cool while it lasted.
  • The Lightning Aura attack rate special stat is now working properly. Somewhere in the world, Monk Master Junbao is smiling.
  • Readjusted the Balloon Unlock Long-Lasting Splash-n-Harm Incineration Trigger in the Blaze Balloon. It now activates properly if enemies are standing in the activation radius when the trap resets.
  • We greased up the Low River Path spawn point in Nimbus Reach, making enemies less likely to get stuck and considerably more delicious when cooked.
  • Despite how hilarious it was to see Wyverns fly into a window in Throne Room, losing a sub-objective will now open the proper air lane.
  • To cater to millennials’ need for instant gratification, changing the premium bag icons now displays the new icon immediately.
  • Players can no longer place towers in inappropriate areas on certain maps. You know which ones. Wink.
  • There were a few maps that had issues with players and towers either clipping through or floating on certain locations in the level. If you can properly guess which ones we fixed, we’ll give you a cookie.
  • Updated and addressed issues on multiple maps, but probably not the one you wanted us to fix.
  • The War Recruiter lost weight. Good for him.
  • Fixed green arrow appearing when entering tower sell mode on Dragonfall Sewers for fear of copyright infringement.
  • Fixed Wyverns getting stuck in spawner. Somewhere. We forget.
  • Fixed several issues relating to meshes and VFX, but this time, it’s definitely the one you wanted us to fix.
  • Tightened up the environment traps on multiple levels, including Level Three.
  • Fixed Ogres getting stuck in lane spawners (25++). We mean it this time.
  • Fixed the Squire. He may no longer bear children.
  • Fixed the Squire not getting the damage or speed buff when using Provoke. Isom gained +5 Happy Points because of this, which is a stat we made up, but don’t tell him because he gets these instead of a paycheck.
  • Fixed Wyvern intro video now plays. English skills reduced as a result.
  • Enemy death rate increased by 100% by fixing enemy spawns on certain maps. 
  • Fixed players dragging items into the wrong slot by yelling at them and making them feel bad.
  • Fixed a number of bugs with Malthius and increased his capacity to love.
  • Fixed a number of improper text with stats.
  • Removed all mentions of the numbers sblevin and schfifty. Apparently, these aren’t real numbers.
  • Fixed issues with the UI for the Tavernkeep Bug Reporting Form while appreciating the irony.
  • Ranged Goblins no longer slightly favor targeting heroes over defenses and cores. Lucky you.
  • Fixed an issue where a destroyed sub-objective was not spawning enemies.
  • Fixed character defense names displayed in the character tab of the Forge.
  • Fixed tooltip appearing behind player name on Forge.
  • Fixed Electrocute combo not giving both teammates the stat points for combo.
  • Modified War Table and War Recruiter billboards.
  • Fixed all loot being shown as downleveled.
  • Resolved lane wisps not appearing in some maps/lanes.
  • Fixed location of downleveling arrow on equipment tooltips.
  • Adjusted, updated and fixed issues with all minimaps.
  • Updated the content in the Forge in all maps to accommodate the Forge UI widening.
  • Fixed Kobold, Flying Kobold, Skeleton, Orc and Witherbug death animations.
  • Fixed crash after multiple “Fail to Join Session” events.
  • Drakin projectiles now spread again.

Fixed a bug with the extra magic armor special stat.

• Fixed a bug with the Summary Screen stats bar.
  • Fixed rare case where players could upgrade an item with the same item.
  • Fixed Item Enhancement UI where reset points button is not properly positioned on certain resolutions.
  • Material effects now show on all character models of the same type.
  • Loot profiles are correctly set for the first 2 campaign maps.
  • Fixed the orange currently set title not extending the full width of the textbox in the titles section of the collections tab.
  • Inventory UI animation fixed.
  • Fixed Item Enhancement stats going off the screen.

Known Issues

• Spamming the Left Mouse Button during the Item Enhancement process will keep the process from completing. Be gentle.
  • The Upgrade button on the Item Enhancement appears greyed out even though it’s active. Go nuts.
  • Players with premium bags will have the last two items in each premium bag appear in the TIB. This will happen one time with the new inventory update.
  • AI is lacking proper motor skills and intelligence. 
  • There is a rare graphical bug where Chrome Enemies will appear completely black.
  • Spike Blockades do not show their correct health on the Inspect Defense tooltip when boosted by the Boost Aura.
  • The new Squire shield with the red banner on the front does not correctly attach to the hero. 
  • The Speedy Kobold’s death animation does not animate. 

Fixed the crash where looking at an icon for 10 seconds would crash the game.

We made that last one up, but the first two icon crashes were totally real.

But... In my mind crashes when i look at an icon for 10 seconds! :'(

Increased player aggression by mentioning Secret Meetings without revealing its secrets.

*Rageeeeeee*

The War Recruiter lost weight. Good for him.

:/ we should too! 

Players can no longer place towers in inappropriate areas on certain maps. You know which ones. Wink.

These Patch Notes are killing me pls staph!

Updated and addressed issues on multiple maps, but probably not the one you wanted us to fix.

Noooo 4 reaalllllllll

Best patch notes ever! 

@iamisom quote:

• The Lightning Aura attack rate special stat is now working properly. Somewhere in the world, Monk Master Junbao is smiling.

Finally!!!!!!!!!!! So excited about this.

Also, really love reading your patch notes. They are awesome!

@iamisom quote:

There were a few maps that had issues with players and towers either clipping through or floating on certain locations in the level. If you can properly guess which ones we fixed, we’ll give you a cookie.

Will you really give us a cookie? What kind of cookie? 

@HPTSparky quote:

@iamisom quote:

There were a few maps that had issues with players and towers either clipping through or floating on certain locations in the level. If you can properly guess which ones we fixed, we’ll give you a cookie.

The only kind that exist. Peanut butter.

Seems to have no fix for Huntress 0 mod legendary

Also where is blaze balloon damage fix? I have trouble seeing it as anymore useful than skyguard at the moment.

Are you forcing all huntress to play dps role now? Or is this class really not worth my time to play?

@iamisom quote:

Peanut butter cookies are indeed fantastic, but I think we can all agree that thin mints are the best.

Was trying to switch between my heroes just now , and find out my Monk was ' growing " out of my apparentice heroes , it was extremely spooky...

Wish I took a screenshot,  still trying to reproduce the effect though .

@Senorita quote:

Was trying to switch between my heroes just now , and find out my Monk was ' growing " out of my apparentice heroes , it was extremely spooky...

Wish I took a screenshot,  still trying to reproduce the effect though .

Did you report this to the Tavernkeep? We had this happened with the Huntress and Apprentice, but it only happened once, and we weren't able to reproduce the issue.

EDIT:  [[68068,users]] and [[30193,users]] -- Thanks for the report!

@iamisom quote:

@HPTSparky quote:

@iamisom quote:

Peanut butter cookies are delicious.  Though, I'd have to put my money on Snickerdoodle or fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip.  Mmmmmmm.

You forgot to mention that you nerfed the Huntress Poisen Tower, fully upgraded the Dps is now down to 4.4k while it was at 13.8k, Projektile dmg is down form 1947 to 612, buffed with monk aura, my stats;dp1073, ds865 on the huntress

@iamisom quote:

Monk

Let me guess: monk/squire are a 'cleave' class designed to do a lot of AoE damage and they're "balanced" around this philosophy?  Thing is, no one will ever need to bring a dps hero to cleave down a bunch of weak trash mobs.  AoE towers handle trash mobs pretty effortlessly.  A single shot from a flameburst/ballista oneshots them; a single explosive trap or lightning aura per lane will kill ~80% of the trash mobs.  What do towers struggle to kill right now?  Tough enemies:  Orcs, Lady Orcs, Ogres, and possibly Dark Mages (assuming there's a bunch of them in one spot).  Those are the enemies players will need to use hero dps to kill (when the game is made harder anyways).  Those are also the enemies that are basically impossibly to cleave down with melee attacks.  Why?  They knock heroes back with every single attack they do (except the Dark Mage).  So this alone gives the ranged heroes a massive advantage at killing the toughest enemies in the game.  Ogres, arguably the biggest threat in the game right now, and really the only reason you'd ever need to use hero dps, is a single target enemy.  So weak cleave damage is quite ineffective against an ogre.  Ogres also hit very hard, making it so a melee dps NEED to trade some hero damage for defensive stats just in order to survive long enough to do some damage.  With the broken bonus resistances on gear, this isn't an easy thing to do, and you will need to trade about 30% of your total hero damage for hero health or additional armor.  So melee heroes innately do much lower single target dps (about 3-5 times less than a huntress with a crit weapon and a proper spec), which is made even worse because they have to gear defensively, AND they constantly get knocked around reducing their uptime on a target.  So that means their real 'effective' damage output is going to be somewhere around 5-10 times less than a huntress on the priority targets (ogres, orcs, lady orcs, dark mages).  All these changes will do is make it so huntress is the only DPS hero worth using as an actual dps.  Squire will still be good as a tank (only thanks to Fight Me Not and the buff sword), but you'd only need one per group, or one per lane that spawns an ogre (so right now, that's one per group).  I'm actually okay with the the nerf to squire DPS because his active utility is the best in the game.  What role does monk dps fill though?  The heroic presence DPS buff doesn't justify his spot.  You'd gain more effective damage output by just bringing another huntress DPS.  The heroic presence healing is trivialized by even a tier 1 serenity aura, and the cooldown is too long to mater.  His active abilities aren't bad, but they have very limited niche uses (like pushing enemies out of healing zones, which is only useful if you have a bad build to begin with).  Overall, I don't really see a place for monk DPS right now after these changes. 

[[4370,users]] quote:

Fixed a bug with the extra magic armor special stat.

Definitely not fixed.  Both physical and magic resistances from mods do not get added to the heroes total resistances. 

I'm receiving major lag in lily's upgrade shop while trying to upgrade my items, I try to move or double click an item and its freezes the screen for 30 seconds. I've went into a private match to try resolve the lag problem but its still producing the same problem. I'm not shore if its just my game that's having this problem or others are getting it as well but I have no problem going into the inventory menu and selling my gear and I can easily open the recruiting menu. 

@SeanPoe quote:

Let me guess: monk/squire are a 'cleave' class designed to do a lot of AoE damage and they're "balanced" around this philosophy?  Thing is, no one will ever need to bring a dps hero to cleave down a bunch of weak trash mobs.  

Lol... it's the exactly opposite, if you aoe you gotta do less damage than a single target, or single target is completely useless, aoe was too high, balance will slowly be achieved.

I believe that squire and monk for being physical heroes (monk you can choose but w/e) they do have a lot of times to deal with crows of enemies where some are trash, if you're not fighting near towers should you should find yourself many times surrounded by trash mobs, good luck killing them.

It's just logic, people will still use aoe more often even if it does less damage, for the obvious reason, because it's aoe.
You find 2 ogres in incursion map, aoe guy will get more out of it. 
You fight most of the times in difficulty more than 1 mob quite resistant such as witherbeasts and stuff, are you saying that mobs that need hero intervention never come in groups? 
Tbh, a good build could do it without any hero intervention but that's not the point, the point is that if you choose to engage with the hero, he will still be useful in certain situations, single target heroes are left out if aoe on a single target is just as good as if it was single target.

@Gutu quote:

@SeanPoe quote:

Let me guess: monk/squire are a 'cleave' class designed to do a lot of AoE damage and they're "balanced" around this philosophy?  Thing is, no one will ever need to bring a dps hero to cleave down a bunch of weak trash mobs.  

Lol... it's the exactly opposite, if you aoe you gotta do less damage than a single target, or single target is completely useless, aoe was too high, balance will slowly be achieved.

What's the exact opposite?  They reduced melee damage output because 'on paper' if the melee is hitting multiple enemies they can theoretically do more damage output than a single target hero.  I stated that, please reread what I said.  And that's only on paper too (i.e., 'target dummy cleave dps using a glass-cannon gear set'), but in a real-world game scenario even the total cleave damage on high priority targets will be lower than a single target ranged hero taking them on one by one (because of knockbacks and forced defensive gearing).  I stated that as well. I then went on to explain why balancing around the cleave damage will just lead to a hero that has no purpose in harder content.  Again, cleave damage is useless.  100% useless.  Trash mobs are trivialized by towers.  They are a non-factor.  The cleave damage is just pad damage, it doesn't help in anyway. 

if you're not fighting near towers should you should find yourself many times surrounded by trash mobs, good luck killing them.

So don't fight away from the towers?  You're just wasting time doing ineffective damage because your towers will effortless kill all trash mobs in a single hit anyways.  The only time you'd be doing effective damage away from your towers is if you're damaging the tougher enemies (Orcs, Lady Orcs, Ogres, Dark Mages) before they get in range of your towers.  And again, cleave damage is useless against those tougher enemies because of how the game mechanics work (they hit hard, forcing defensive gear; they knockback, making it impossible to cleave groups of them).

You find 2 ogres in incursion map, aoe guy will get more out of it.

You'd need almost a full tank set in order to cleave 2 ogres at the same time, so you'd have almost no hero damage at all compared to the huntress in a full glass-cannon set stacking hero damage and ability power gear.  You'd also be constantly knocked back and have very poor uptime.  So no, you would not have more total damage than a huntress doing single target damage.  Not even close.  Also, killing one ogres as quickly as possible with very high single target damage is a far better strategy than slowly cleaving them both down evenly. 

You fight most of the times in difficulty more than 1 mob quite resistant such as witherbeasts and stuff, are you saying that mobs that need hero intervention never come in groups?

In this current patch?  Absolutely not.  Witherbeasts die to towers same as any other trash mob.  You don't have to build around them, you don't need a special strategy to deal with them.  You can basically ignore that they're even a special enemy because they have no impact on the game.  They might as well just be reskinned goblins because their existence can safely be ignored, same as a goblin.  

Now, the only enemies that do come in groups that are hard for towers to handle are Orcs, Lady Orcs, and Dark Mages.  You can't cleave the orcs/lady orcs because of their knockback.  Best you'll be able to do is cleave 2-3 at a time, and then you'd only be getting 2-3 hits off before you get knocked away for a second.  You can cleave packs of Dark Mages BUT that very low cleave damage can easily be outhealed by a group of them.  Huntress can do one fully-charged secondary shot into primary attacks (with secondary procs) to spike them one a time very quickly, without them having a chance to heal through that damage.  The melee cleave might be doing more total damage, but it's just ineffective pad damage since most of it is being healed through, unlike the very effective damage from the huntress leading to quick kills.  

single target heroes are left out if aoe on a single target is just as good as if it was single target.

The Huntress currently does ~5-10 times the single target dps of the two melee classes, last patch is was 2-3 times.  Every other hero is 'left out' right now because of how much better the huntress is at filling the active hero role.

There's also ways to balance melee cleave classes, such as:

• Make their cleave damage split between targets so they can do decent single target damage when they're only hitting one thing.
  • Cap the number of targets they can hit to 2-5 and balance around that. 
  • Decide how valuable cleave damage is to the game and balance around effective, meaningful damage instead of total damage output on a target dummy.  For example, a hero cleaving 5 targets should not do 5 times less single target damage than a single target hero just because 'on paper' that makes them even.

Anyways, this isn't a suggestion thread, so I won't go on.  There's literally dozens of ways to balance cleave vs. single target damage, and there's no shortage of games that have already solved this problem, and the devs can easily look to those games for some ideas. 

@Solena quote:

You forgot to mention that you nerfed the Huntress Poisen Tower, fully upgraded the Dps is now down to 4.4k while it was at 13.8k, Projektile dmg is down form 1947 to 612, buffed with monk aura, my stats;dp1073, ds865 on the huntress

Oh, so this is why it kinda sucks now :O. Bring poison tower back!

Squire

Reduced base damage to 125 from 150. (More info)

Reduced Hero Damage growth per level to 1 from 2.

This and the equivalent monk change is the only horrible change this patch, I thought melees were suppose to be competitive with ranged for dps? You might think their AoE makes them so, but I'll tell you why I disagree.

1. Trade-offs. AoE cleaves allow us to hit multiple enemies yes, but to counteract this we NEED to be on the front lines taking damage unlike ranged classes. Another thing melee classes don't have is a way to crit with our melee attacks, meaning the ranged classes get even more single target for aiming for the head.

2. Survivability. With the change from Life Steal to life on hit, damage based melee builds will find themselves dying to things ranged don't even need to get hit by. This means that we will need to build defense, which will in turn reduce our damage even more than in conjunction with this nerf.

This change just stinks of you guys testing the heroes' dps on multiple dummies but forgetting that the dummies don't fight back. Hope this change gets rethought, don't want this to be DD1 where ranged attacks are king again.