Sign in to follow this  
HPTSparky

What is your favorite part of Dungeon Defenders?

This is a fairly simple concept, but I don't doubt it will require some thought. if someone who had never even heard of the game asked you to name your favorite thing in, from or about Dungeon Defenders, what would it be? Think about that one thing that makes you keep coming back, that one item that you can't live without, or that one person/time that truly made the game special for you.

-Rules-

• Can be from Dungeon Defenders, Dungeon Defenders 2, Dungeon Defenders Eternity, or the forums.
  • I invite you to say things others have already said
  • Screenshots, Pictures and Videos are always welcome
  • Be as concise as possible

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I can't wait to see what everyone writes. 

EDIT: If you could start your post with "My favorite thing/part from Dungeon Defenders is/was" that would be very helpful. That way we can differentiate new posts from discussion. Thanks guys!

My favorite thing from Dungeon Defenders was when we as a community raised over $16,000 for Child's Play from the sales of the original 500 Defense Council seats. It was amazing to see how much we as a community can truly make a difference.

@HPTSparky quote:

• Can be from.. .Dungeon Defenders Eternity...

lol

But seriously, at this point most my fun comes from helping others (assuming they stop asking for terrible maps or they don't sabotage the map). At first it was exciting getting newer and better gear, but now it's more to help newer players get into the game. 

@curtisgk quote:

But seriously, at this point most my fun comes from helping others (assuming they stop asking for terrible maps or they don't sabotage the map). At first it was exciting getting newer and better gear, but now it's more to help newer players get into the game. 

I completely agree! I love helping others. Nothing can compare to being there for that moment when a new player finally "gets it". That moment where they understand what Dungeon Defenders is all about. 

My favorite part of DD is knowing the in's and out's of the game and then crushing maps. Loot grinding is always a blast too. ^-^

My favorite part of DD was all the parts of the game there were to learn about. Over the last 3 (?maybe?) years there has always been something new for me to learn. 

A lot of my best memories come from two maps:  

King's Game and Ramparts (DD1)  

First, Ramparts was the map I first learned how to solo survival on all difficulties. It took time, and power leveling several classes to help out, but eventually I was able to make it happen. After that, I would set up my defenses, and let new players or lower leveled players dramatically increase their level or gear from my defenses. I would run several games and players would come and go as they got bored of waiting. This was my first experience in farming.  

King's Game was the next tier for me to beat. First off, the build phase had my favorite music on Dungeon Defenders. I still can't find it anywhere. Its also where I learned different tactics, how to be brutally efficient, and it set for me a new standard to reach. I made friends there that could solo it, and they allowed me to stay so I could level up and get gear.  

Eventually I moved on to the Tavern map. That's where I was trying to solo before I quit playing so long ago.  

My equally favorite memory was when my brother first showed me the game. He had beat it with his friend, and wanted to play the campaign with me. We worked together, trying to over come each new map, and get better gear. It was a blast. Eventually he quit shortly after we beat the campaign, back when the max level was about 40 or so. I bought as much DLC as I could and eventually surpassed his strongest characters. If he ever wanted to play again, it would be my main helping him gain levels and gear, much like those before me. He loved and embraced what the game was, but when I took the reigns, I came to love and embrace what it had become.  

I hope to try to repay him the same favor he did ,me when DD2 becomes a full enough game to be worth showing him.

This is what this thread is about. Thinking back on the reason you started playing and the reason you got hooked. Thanks for the story my good sir! I really appreciate it!

The Top Reason i started: 
DD1: Awesome offline game that i could co-op with myself, i barely had internet back then so i would play it for hours and hours and have tons of fun. 
DDe: Advertisement on steam said "the final and balanced version of DD1" *cough* moving on!
DD2: Loved Dungeon Defenders 1, since it left the moba idea i thought i'd give a try.

Top Reason that kept me playing for as long as I did/do:
DD1: Always had a bigger challenge, until the challenge i met was fighting the lagg on tinkerer's lab survival [[2641,hashtags]], the seek for better gear to achieve higher and higher, the endless attempts to complete something that was real hard... I think the best memory was my joy from finishing TD NMHC surv MM, that was the best, i spent so much time figuring builds for it, where minimal changes would have the hugest impact, and it took so long i was so glad when i made it.
DDe: ehrm,... ugh...
DD2: Testing it's pretty fun, but what kept me going is the trendy team and the friends i made, finding funny ways to play the maps until we get harder things that we can snap our heads to find out how to do it. =) being one of those friends SaraNeko who has always some funny things in mind to try in the maps =D so that they don't feel anywhere near boring at those times! 
The hope to see something better and new always coming.

Sorry to not like simply give a reason but i think it's too many of them for me to sum it up :)

Don't feel badly good sir! You response was fantastic. I agree though, there were some moments in DD1  where I would lose just because I didn't have a tower angled correctly.

@HPTSparky quote:

Don't feel bady good sir! You response was fantastic. I agree though, there were some moments in DD1  where I would lose just because I didn't have a tower angled correctly.

Specially when the djins arrived...! if they'd find a blind spot GG

My favorite part of DD1 was the way Trendy handled much of their DLC.  Free for a set time was fantastic and got me to follow the game beyond simply playing it.

I also loved how most of their new characters were so different than the base game.  Barbarian with 2 weapons and no towers O_o  EV with beams and dynamic DU costs :D  Summoner RTS playstyle!!!  Great times.

One of the best parts was powering up to crazy stats.  Being able to go back to the first map and win with a single Magic Missile tower is fantastic.  Constantly testing my monk's healing aura to see if it covered the entire tavern yet was exciting.

The reason I kept coming back: progression.  Had to get all the trophies.  Must collect all the pets.  Beat all the challenges.  Needed to unlock the secret doors in the tavern.  Had to collect those shards.  Must figure out how to beat that first NM map (screw you spiders).  There was so much to do and achieve that I always had a goal to work towards.

When DDE came out, I had been out of DD1 for a while so it was a great way to get sucked back in.  It was everything I loved about DD1 and more.  Hatching pets, new levels, new bosses (Phoenix!), new gameplay features like blueprints, the tailor, and amulets.  Unfortunately, getting OP in DDE was way faster and way more crazy.  I quickly and easily had auras that covered entire maps, which is ok but I shouldn't be end-game OP faster than completing all the maps.

When DD2 came to Steam (and was not a MOBA), I was all for it.  I jumped in, eager to help shape the game into what I want it to be.  So far, Trendy has done an excellent job improving things and acknowledging the community's feedback.  Very excited to continue helping the devs make DD2 the best it can be.

@Gutu quote:

Specially when the djins arrived...! if they'd find a blind spot GG

Golden spiders! *shudders* :P

I think the most exciting time for me in DD1 was when I first completed a map on NMHC. The feeling of ballerness when I achieved that with my friend cannot be explained!

my favourite part is that the first game was it's own game. as in it wasn't like DOTA or LOL. it is a tower defence hack and slash game done just right. most games only focus on one and when they focus on both they screw it up but this game did it just right

@Leaky51 quote:

my favourite part is that the first game was it's own game. as in it wasn't like DOTA or LOL. it is a tower defence hack and slash game done just right. most games only focus on one and when they focus on both they screw it up but this game did it just right.

One of the great things about the action tower defense genre is that it isn't over saturated with games like the MOBA of FPS genres. It helps to keep the game fresh and entertaining.

My Favorite Part of DD1  is that there have been so many parts to like.

- building defenses

- run and gun

- struggling through the campaign through Insane

- breaking into NM

- learning different builds and techniques

- learning mechanics of the game

- playing with others

- trading

- events

- helping others

- stat hunting

- unique item hunting

- learning to enjoy challenges that I once hated

Always something to farm and Always something new to learn.

@curtisgk quote:

So you're favorite part is the whole game?

Pretty much.  My favorite thing to do has changed several times so I have bounced around to many things and gone back to doing some previous favorites from time to time.  

@ddace quote:

Pretty much.  My favorite thing to do has changed several times so I have bounced around to many things and gone back to doing some previous favorites from time to time.  

It's awesome to know someone loves the game so much! I mean, I guess I should expect no less from you ddace. Also, good to see you again my good sir!

My favorite part has to be being super geared that you can solo any map and help newbs get gear themselves... Also brought some of my friends back to the game later on and showed them how good of a game it was. DD1 i'm talking about of course.

This post has caused more thinking than I care to do at one time, DD1 frustrated me and I have a hard time looking past it. I was banned from trendy servers for using a pet that I traded, apparently its size had been altered to be smaller, maybe it was an obnoxiously large size roll originally, who is to say.

Then came DDE, which to most, myself included, was a joke. I do have to say that there were times in DDE with gamebreaking patches and broken training dummies that I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Running City in the Cliffs over and over allowing everyone to level up characters entirely too fast, sitting in taverns answering question after question for the poor souls who were experiencing DDE as their first Dungeon Defenders experience.

All in all though, my favorite part has been the wait on DD2, I have accomplished so much in the time I spent waiting, played so many great games, its been good!