Sign in to follow this  
lSpyfoxl

Whats the point of free-play+ (++) ?

Do you guys play free-play+ and free-play++?
So, after i hit 25 i just jumped right into incursions...I wasn't geared enough but other people were and after a few games i got enough gear to do it my self.Even with hard mode coming, the incursions drop the same legendaries + the weapons, as far as i'm concerned, leaving no other reason to play it other than just for fun.

Maybe if a item power requirement was added or different drops and drop rates it would make things more balanced. 

There are 3 problems that occurred for existing players with this content.

1. The gear people accrued from farming before the top end changes allowed for the content to be skipped easily

2. The difficulty steps between each level tier was relatively small allowing for the smooth jump straight to incursions.

3. 1 smart/geared player can carry any naked new 25lvl player through the hardest content without restriction currently

I am sure these difficulty levels will be tinkered with in the future to allow a better transition for new players. I do not have a clue what their ideas are on letting undergeared/inexperienced players jump straight at the hardest content.

Yeah if they balance the normal difficulty to help the transition from campaign to free-play/incursions it would make things better, maybe with more items it will be easier to adjust.

Hey guys,

Good questions all around.  Matchmaking and difficulty are a work in progress.  Our immediate next step is to get hard mode back into the game, as it was a victim of scoping for Foundation 1.  In coming patches there will be large map and progression changes.  I don't want to spoil any surprises.  

Rest assured that we're actively working on the post 25 experience and it will be more fluid in future patches.

didn't think i was geared enough for incursions so jumped in free player  ++ to see how much the game would change picked up a rather insane weapon for my huntress ( compared to my old one ) maxed it out at 340 hero damage and with the  other gear  on my huntress  ( all myth  as i have bad luck it seams with hero damage stats ) and now im pulling off 15k dps  so guess i at least have damage ready for incursions unsure on my towers my bowlingballs  only do a measly 5k dps maxed out unbuffed so might be a challenge  but time to give it ago later today. only thing ive noticed so far is the lack of hp on mobs compared to the dps output on  my huntress i can literally melt special mobs in a few seconds normally  my friend on his munk or aprentice kites the special mobs/ogers around inside auras whilst i stand at the other side of the map with line of sight and melt it 

EDIT: tryed my first incursion tonight  with just me and a friend went  really esay after a few hickups on first wave pulled out  the rare special bow first run (still working on maxing it as 35 lvls takes a while)  going to try ramparts next to see how well that goes with 2 people 

well ramparts is something to work towards managed to clear everything till the final wave  that last waves nasty lol

@BallsOut quote:

3. 1 smart/geared player can carry any naked new 25lvl player through the hardest content without restriction currently

Great post.

This is, IMO, the biggest and worst problem. I've made my opinion pretty clear on how shallow and boring gameplay has become with mana-dumping to a single builder ... and this is yet another symptom of that problem.

There is no real personal progression when a single player can do all the work. Because all you ever end up doing is vacuuming up loot until you get the items you want.... except you then find yourself wondering what was ever the point in doing so when a single player is still defeating the same map with the same items using the same tactics all on their own.

The mana you dump when naked is no different than the mana you dump in full legendaries.

So when you finally gear up you only get to pretend like that gear matters, to feel like you suddenly contribute & are achieving personal progression, when in reality the game was always dumbed down to mindlessly scooping up loot.

@Qbert quote:

@BallsOut quote:

Great post.

This is, IMO, the biggest and worst problem. I've made my opinion pretty clear on how shallow and boring gameplay has become with mana-dumping to a single builder ... and this is yet another symptom of that problem.

There is no real personal progression when a single player can do all the work. Because all you ever end up doing is vacuuming up loot until you get the items you want.... except you then find yourself wondering what was ever the point in doing so when a single player is still defeating the same map with the same items using the same tactics all on their own.

The mana you dump when naked is no different than the mana you dump in full legendaries.

So when you finally gear up you only get to pretend like that gear matters, to feel like you suddenly contribute & are achieving personal progression, when in reality the game was always dumbed down to mindlessly scooping up loot.

No offense, but this sounds like a "you" problem.  Only you make the choice to join a game where mana is funneled to 1 player.  If that is boring for you, play solo or play with friends that don't want to play that way

A response to OP's post: make matchmaking require the minimum item power before someone can join.  (Leave it open for private games, though.  It is fun to try to do maps at less than the recommended level).

before i got fully geared to op status on dd1 i used to love making random games and seeing how far  i could carry 3 people badly geared  kinda gave me a sense of achievement  being able to help people get what they couldn't normally get without a fair bit of work 

dd2 im well off of that lol  25 ++ and 25+ i have afkable builds for ( have to check between every other rounds for repairs/upgrades ) if i can ever manage this with insergance ill be disappointed  im enjoying the odd challenge it throws at you mainly ramparts (wont throw spoilers in here for anyone who hasnt done it yet or seen it )

@Omamba quote:  Only you make the choice to join a game where mana is funneled to 1 player. 

Except that isn't remotely true. You want to make it sound like it's a me problem because you want to pretend there is no problem.

@Qbert quote:

@Omamba quote:  Only you make the choice to join a game where mana is funneled to 1 player. 

Except that isn't remotely true. You want to make it sound like it's a me problem because you want to pretend there is no problem.

Actually it is.  No one is forcing you to play matchmaking.  Matchmaking, as it is, is a random grouping of players, in which the majority decide how the game goes.  Obviously, the majority of players want to funnel mana to the best player in order to get their loot, which is fine.  You talk about personal progression in the group aspect of the game.  It is hard to have 'personal progression' in group settings.  What is your solution, take away the ability to drop mana, limit the amount of DU spent per player?  These options would deter a lot of players from matchmaking, seeing as how most seem to want only 1 or 2 people to build.

That said, matchmaking is flawed.  I would love for Trendy to implement a server list like in DD1.  That way you or I could host a game session to our own liking.  This would appeal to those of us that want to funnel mana, as well as to those who want all players to build.

@Omamba quote:

@Qbert quote:

Actually it is.  No one is forcing you to play matchmaking.  Matchmaking, as it is, is a random grouping of players, in which the majority decide how the game goes.  Obviously, the majority of players want to funnel mana to the best player in order to get their loot, which is fine.  You talk about personal progression in the group aspect of the game.  It is hard to have 'personal progression' in group settings.  What is your solution, take away the ability to drop mana, limit the amount of DU spent per player?  These options would deter a lot of players from matchmaking, seeing as how most seem to want only 1 or 2 people to build.

That said, matchmaking is flawed.  I would love for Trendy to implement a server list like in DD1.  That way you or I could host a game session to our own liking.  This would appeal to those of us that want to funnel mana, as well as to those who want all players to build.

*cough* https://www.dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/115466/server-list