Sign in to follow this  
M1rr0rsedge

Huntress Rework or overhaul and ideas

(only played her from 1-25, nothing beyond that Mostly before this patch, but some after. My opinion has stayed the same.)

I Think the She needs A lot of changes. Most of her abilities seem Lack Luster or Boring.

Concussive shot: is the only ability I like on her, there may be some balancing you can do, but overall I like the ability.

Oil Flask: The changes to the ability made it better, but I still think something else should be here. For Example: Damaging AoE (Rain of Arrows), Huntress Tracking / Mark (Improves Damage dealt to the target), or an Activated Passive (Lying in wait: Making the character gain damage for not moving or taking an action, stacking until they attack, Activated part of the ability could be added attack speed that puts it on a 15s cd (when on cd you won't gain the passive portion of the ability.)

Blazing Shot: I like how this ability works with oil flask, but this also doesn't quite hit the mark for a hunter to me. It's a good straight line shot. but that works on only so many monsters since most paths are curvy. Only suggestion I have is to replace it with an Elemental boomerang( either allowing you to change the element via Talent or it uses the same as you weapon) or something. 

I still don't like Heal as the 4th ability, I hope you make a 4th ability per class, and just bind heal to H or something. 

Her Traps / Towers are missing something or don't fit My mental picture of a Huntress arsenal. 

Explosive Trap: I think this should also stun or stagger those in an area when it goes off. 

Poison Dart: I Like this tower. maybe give us talents that can affect how the poison works.

Geyser trap: Though I like the combo it brings it doesn't Fit with her. Instead I think a trap that had camouflage over it. Then SURPRISE, the trap would trigger, launching whatever was on it or smacking a wall of minions in the face with sharpened sticks. 

Blaze Balloon: I can kind of see this as an ability, but this is where you should be using the oil. then having the area its dropped on be able to be lit on fire for a small amount of time, with a decent recharge time. Maybe adding a Trip Wire to trigger it and behind the wire would be where it would drop. 

Well that is my Take on the Huntress. Thanks.

The issue with the Huntress design is that it is entirely based on incursion matches. You spend 25 levels with a set of abilities and towers that seem worthless until 25+++ when they finally start to make a bit of sense. Literally each and every ability and defense goes from 'awkward and impractical' to suddenly finding a vague purpose when having to face large swarms. If you can snare/slow/group and tank a few converging waves of hordes into a huge bottleneck of enemies, everything in her kit becomes vastly more useful.

However, that means as a result all her abilities are highly conditional. The conditions need to be just right or it all becomes a waste. Other classes do not have nearly the same degree of requirements to ensure their defenses are effective.

TBH though, I like the need for conditions and coordination and diversification. Rather than improving Huntress' standalone defenses I'd rather see other classes' defenses get adjusted to require similar 'set-up' to go from very weak to potentially very strong.

My experience has been very different from the original poster. Admittedly geyser traps felt weak initially because until you have some tower speed they quite frankly are weak. That said it didn't take me long playing Huntress to get them to a useful point. Starting about in the ruins maps I was able to use two geysers in a lane in place of barricades. Explosive trap and poison dart tower have both been very effective for the entire time I've been using them. I am pretty sure everybody is aware of how weak blaze balloon is right now and I need not say any more on that subject.

Her active abilities feel good when I use them with the exception that blazing shot's weak damage ruins the epic feel of charging up this super flaming shot of not-doom. Concussive always feels good to toss and works wonderfully. Oil flask even without ignite is useful as the slow will delay a wave about as much as concussive does. The ignite combo doesn't feel very effective though. When I am plugging enemies for over a thousand with my basic attacks seeing ignite tick for 50ish damage is very unsatisfying. When there are Apprentice fire towers set up the extra damage is nice however I don't bother igniting with blazing shot anymore. Compared to the shatter (insta death) and electrocute (extended CC) combos ignite is just simply weak.

So is a rework/overhaul needed or even worth considering? Definitely not. Does the Huntress need some damage number tweaks? Oh hell yes. Interesting that all the weak damage effects are the ones themed around fire.

As someone who stack DS on huntress, if explosive trap can stun/stagger it'll be abused to no end because the recharge starts when the enemy is still stunned.  Just one or 2 of these will hold up entire lanes (as opposed to 2-3 for geysers depending on lane width + lightning aura) and probably kill them with any other defense.

@K61824 quote:

As someone who stack DS on huntress, if explosive trap can stun/stagger it'll be abused to no end because the recharge starts when the enemy is still stunned.  Just one or 2 of these will hold up entire lanes (as opposed to 2-3 for geysers depending on lane width + lightning aura) and probably kill them with any other defense.

This is why i suggested a pushback with a decaying effect but also can push enemies further if you aren't careful and try to place a million down to trap them.

So far everyone has said something agreeable or not. Sometimes it is the loot you get because i had put an old defense power boot on her and my poison dart tower Dropped in attack damage and DPS when i originally had a more powerful "item power" boots that had only defense speed. Both mystic, no secondary stats for defenses but the damage dropped. I did the same thing with some gauntlets but instead they were stronger and had defense power and i switched for a bit weaker item (still both mystic but lower item power) with defense speed and my damage Still dropped. 

Sometimes i will hold onto the same gear thinking that it'll give me my good stats and i'm waiting for another item that has at least 1 similar stat and i'll go for that, but now i really don't know how to test this. I'd have to keep a tower right next to the Forge and go back and forth.

Don't need to go into the blaze balloon. Revamped/Remade/Upgraded/Replaced etc.

Concussion shots:

Concussion shots are amazing i use them to keep enemies on the geysers and their low but not too low of a CDR it is fairly balanced so you can't keep the same enemy trapped in the same spot Just with the ability.

Oil Flask:

Eh. i only use this when i'm completely bored and i want to see enemies be torched by my piercing shot or whatever else. I don't really have much to say but that and her piercing shot costs way too much. For someone who is supposed to stay away from enemies, her moves cost way too much to use. No the crystals aren't enough. after using the combo twice you are out of mana practically.

Piercing shot:

I fire it at any flying enemies because my bird is superior! Which is a false statement because it does no noticeable damage. when you have enemies that have 10k health. or even 3k health. Even with the oil flask, it's high cost and CDR causes it to be lackluster. By how much it takes out of you, you'd think that it's something that you'd use to do a lot of damage to take out a good wave of tiny minions, or do enough damage that you can pick them off easier. That is not the case.

Healing:

Yeah i really do hate that it is an universal ability because i'm using specs and items that help me Stay away from enemies and just shoot at them constantly doing 15k for crits at times against like Bosses. (another time i saw 16k pop up.) Other times the numbers don't pop up because i'm out of range or another defender is within the area of my reticule that it doesn't want to read anything else. (idk why since i can't interact with them anyways. not even to see their items. idk if that should be a bug or not. The lack of numbers popping up from a distance.) 

Poison Dart Tower:

The only thing is for the poison to tick faster. I know there is a special stat out there but all it does is reduce the tick rate "Only" despite it saying fire rate. Both should reduce but whatever. It wouldn't be op because it is already Slow. I've asked someone who has too much Defense speed on his huntress and he says that these towers still cannot take down swarms of enemies because if the inability to properly stack the poisons from them being too fast, and without a good enough range and inability to Turn, it cannot properly continuously stack poisons.

Geysers are perfect to me. since i have specs for them doing 140% more damage; it is nice keeping groups of enemies at them to do more damage. Though the problem is she only has one thing in her whole kit to do so.

Explosive traps need a secondary effect to them. Cannons have stun, Dart towers have poison, frostbite have slow+ Freeze. Earth Towers can Shatter, Fireburst can ignite.

I would say 3 layers should still do the trick of holding up the lane even if you only knockback without staggering.  You might need 900 speed but that's not very difficult to get these days.  Then it will overpower geyser because geyser needs a lightning aura and more DU.  Making "sustain" traps to be suitable to be some kind of blockade will require reassigning a role for your other traps first.

@K61824 quote:

I would say 3 layers should still do the trick of holding up the lane even if you only knockback without staggering.  You might need 900 speed but that's not very difficult to get these days.  Then it will overpower geyser because geyser needs a lightning aura and more DU.  Making "sustain" traps to be suitable to be some kind of blockade will require reassigning a role for your other traps first.

Depending on how they balance the knockback, they could simply have it where latter explosives wont knock the back after a certain amount of time, or something of the sort. Causing players to have a bigger gap with their traps to where it would waste DU and become ineffective to try to"Trap" enemies, but if someone uses her whole kit with the setup; they could essentially have enemies be pushed back into the geyser traps for a second round of combos, etc. While enabling her poison dart tower(s) more time to apply stacking poison.

1 Thread Per Suggestion

Please if your feedback contains suggestions it doesn't turn it into a suggestion thread, as asked, please post a single suggestion per thread, a wall of text of feedback is always loved but loved in the general discussion where other people will agree and feedback over your feedback and it will also have your impact, later on you can simply grab the suggestions and post them one by one as each individual thread in this subforum.

Never the less, good feedback, just needs to be placed in each section and it's places, split your suggestion changes into a thread to each and the place the overall feedback on a thread in the general discussion so other people discuss this matter with you ( however keep in mind, there's a thread specially for huntress feedback in the Game Feedback SubForum, you might prefer to place it there :P)

@Gutu quote:

1 Thread Per Suggestion

Please if your feedback contains suggestions it doesn't turn it into a suggestion thread, as asked, please post a single suggestion per thread, a wall of text of feedback is always loved but loved in the general discussion where other people will agree and feedback over your feedback and it will also have your impact, later on you can simply grab the suggestions and post them one by one as each individual thread in this subforum.

Never the less, good feedback, just needs to be placed in each section and it's places, split your suggestion changes into a thread to each and the place the overall feedback on a thread in the general discussion so other people discuss this matter with you ( however keep in mind, there's a thread specially for huntress feedback in the Game Feedback SubForum, you might prefer to place it there :P)

Oh sorry about that. When i looked around i didn't see a huntress thread, I'll look again and break it down.  

And my main reason for these suggestions is that the huntress doesn't feel like a hunter to me at all really, that was it. Changing these abilities or manipulating them would feel like one more to me. Thanks for your responses!