Sign in to follow this  
Hecate

Skyguard tower and knocked airborne enemies.

Personally I love the idea of this combo. However as has been pointed out other towers just do a better job.  Ballista is brought up because it already can take out flying and ground enemies without needing a combo of some kind. Note that I know ranges are going to be changed soon so I won't be hammering that subject here.

So the problem with skyguard I see is that if its dps is too high it trivializes air enemies and if its damage is too low the combo is pointless. I have some ideas to help with this.

First make skyguard a slower attacking higher damage tower. Knockup effects tend to have cooldowns or delays between activation and only last a short time. So the combo can be made more effective just by making the tower do its damage in a burst.

My second suggestion is a bit harder to implement . Give the skyguard tower large bonus damage against ground based enemies. There are lots of way to implement this, a debuff attached to knockup effects or just something built into the tower itself (if enemies have a tagging system built in) come to mind.

The two suggestions combined I think with the right numbers would make the skyguard a serious consideration for use. We would see people using one as part of the already popular geyser + lightning aura combo and it definitely would be something apprentices speced into earthshatter towers would want as well. A skyguard combo with the monk's smash attack might even be worth it alone if monk got a talent to spec into that say increases the range and reduces the cooldown.

@Hecate quote:

First make skyguard a slower attacking higher damage tower. Knockup effects tend to have cooldowns or delays between activation and only last a short time. So the combo can be made more effective just by making the tower do its damage in a burst.

won't you miss on a lot of it's cooldown is increased, 'cause the enemies are in air only for so long, if during that long the tower is on cooldown it's kind of a wasted combo.

I would probably want higher damage against flying enemies.  Afterall the anti-air only tower is supposed to be moderately overpowered against units that are already flying compared to other defenses.  Maybe put up some resist on fliers so it doesn't become trivialized; afterall it is supposed to be some sort of threat and if cannon spam (at 900 DP I can one shot every flyer with 8 cannons without upgrade + boost with upgrade, with 850 ish DS it's slightly less than 0.7s so it should have ample time when anything gets close) can solve it, it isn't a threat.

@Gutu quote:

@Hecate quote:

won't you miss on a lot of it's cooldown is increased, 'cause the enemies are in air only for so long, if during that long the tower is on cooldown it's kind of a wasted combo.

I think his point is to make the combo has some chances to miss so it doesn't become overpowered while pumping up the damage so it takes fewer shots.  I would prefer the other way around:  more frequent so it has stopping power but weaker so it doesn't trivialize everything.

The goal is to make the combo worth making. Even if skyguard had range right now it really isn't worth the combo because during those long gaps between when a ground enemy is airborne the skyguard just sits there doing nothing. Any tower that can hit both ground and air is more valuable at that point simply because it will keep going.

On the fire rate; by reducing the fire rate the raw damage number can be brought up to compensate. Flip an enemy into the air for a half second the skyguard gets one shot at the current rate, at a slower fire rate it still gets one shot out but that one shot is more damage. Knock up rates are quite slow, geyser has a long reset, tornado has a cooldown, earthshatter is a relative low proc, monk smash has a cooldown. A skyguard that attacks slower will do more damage on those resets vs a quick one when both only get a single shot in.

@Hecate quote:

The goal is to make the combo worth making. Even if skyguard had range right now it really isn't worth the combo because during those long gaps between when a ground enemy is airborne the skyguard just sits there doing nothing. Any tower that can hit both ground and air is more valuable at that point simply because it will keep going.

On the fire rate; by reducing the fire rate the raw damage number can be brought up to compensate. Flip an enemy into the air for a half second the skyguard gets one shot at the current rate, at a slower fire rate it still gets one shot out but that one shot is more damage. Knock up rates are quite slow, geyser has a long reset, tornado has a cooldown, earthshatter is a relative low proc, monk smash has a cooldown. A skyguard that attacks slower will do more damage on those resets vs a quick one when both only get a single shot in.

Geyser's reset is fine, I think.  You have to account for the fact that at 750-800 DS (which is not even the high end in terms of level 25) anyone not immune to CC who triggers the trap inside a lightning aura will keep triggering the same trap until they are killed.  And that is the trap without upgrades (upgraded geyser lowers recharge time, not sure if it is intended).  I think you have to account for the fact that

1. You can have multiple geysers inside your lightning aura group, so two geysers far enough apart will mean enemies gets launched twice as often (because they are asynchronous)
  2. The electrocute combo will stop the target for a short period of time while the geyser recharges. 

As far as tornado is concerned, you have to look at its duration and the apprentices' spec.  if you give up the earthshatter's spec and go for cooldown reduction (I know almost everyone has freeze, so no change there), what happens is that your tornado can trap someone for as long as you have mana.  And to top it all off its duration can be long enough for you to have 2 to even 3 shots (depend on your item mods) off the sky guard tower per tornado.

I believe you are right in that earthshatter and pole smash has a cooldown that is a bit long for triggering that particular combo (they seem to cater more to shatter instead of sky guard, I think).

I guess. I haven't experienced a speed stacked huntress's geyser. If you can keep tossing something then maybe the range boost is all we need.

As an anit-air tower, I feel that it should do minimal damage to ground units.  They should return its range to prepatch and reduce its damage to knocked up ground units.

@Omamba quote:

As an anit-air tower, I feel that it should do minimal damage to ground units.  They should return its range to prepatch and reduce its damage to knocked up ground units.

It's not exactly easy to hit ground enemies, so the damage is alright, if it did less damage then it would be useless as a "combo"