Sneak Peek - Level Work In Progress

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kleeborp quote:

Very Impressed and excited :) great job

Thanks. : - )

kv_wip36_mines4_by_silvercleric-d8xop3x. 

Just a little after shot. More to come soon.

kv_wip36_mines5_by_silvercleric-d8yg4i2.
Mine carts have since been filled since I took this WIP screen.  

So here's an overview.  You can see just about everything I've been working on except whats behind the camera and the small small details..

kv_wip_overview_1_by_silvercleric-d8yvbw
This is all about 814mb of content, by the way. And I'm still not done.

@Nexus quote:

Bring it on.  

It is definitely a beautiful map.

@Nexus quote:

So here's an overview.  You can see just about everything I've been working on except whats behind the camera and the small small details..

kv_wip_overview_1_by_silvercleric-d8yvbw

Looks good.

I hope it is so big it requires co-op play.

I do not know if I am more excited about this on Open or Moonbase on ranked for different reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know if I am more excited about this on Open or Moonbase on ranked for different reasons.

It's very big but no, it shouldn't require co-op at all, unless on the harder difficulties.  I've worked so much on this I want everyone to be able to play it.  I have quite a lot of assets, big and small to make yet to complete the whole environment. It very much is a true open world space. Crystal Dimension in its entirety only fills about 70% of this space, and that doesn't even begin to take into account 95% of the buildings and structures are enter-able on this map. Considering that some buildings have 2 to 3 floors, the tavern especially is big enough to be its own level.

Been working on making particle effects recently, smoke, fire, mist, water splashes, and a complicated volumetric cloud. Just a lot of little details here and there to fill in. Some more screens coming soon.

@Nexus quote:

It's very big but no, it shouldn't require co-op at all, unless on the harder difficulties.  I've worked so much on this I want everyone to be able to play it.  I have quite a lot of assets, big and small to make yet to complete the whole environment. It very much is a true open world space. Crystal Dimension in its entirety only fills about 70% of this space, and that doesn't even begin to take into account 95% of the buildings and structures are enter-able on this map. Considering that some buildings have 2 to 3 floors, the tavern especially is big enough to be its own level.

Been working on making particle effects recently, smoke, fire, mist, water splashes, and a complicated volumetric cloud. Just a lot of little details here and there to fill in. Some more screens coming soon.

Sounds like you are recreating etheria :)

@ddace quote:

Sounds like you are recreating etheria :)

Not recreating.. just augmenting. Building on what is sort of implied by the games art direction, and turning it into an evolution of what it might've been with an open world in mind.  Bringing the sort of Millenial RPG design to DD's world, if you will.  Not any small task, but I hope everyone enjoys it.

kv_wip39_praise_the_sun_by_silvercleric-

Praise the sun! Because after all this time I realized I hadn't actually done one for the sky box material.  Technically, I still haven't!

kv_wip41_silverheartlake_by_silvercleric

Just tweaking some things when I moved the camera to this spot. It just begged for a screenshot.  Work is coming along... I am pushing this out the door for release come the first week of August. Done or not.

kv_wip42_tavern_inn_by_silvercleric-d918
This would be the Inn section of the tavern. Sort of a shared commons for drunk patrons and weary travelers. ( old  European Inns were like this in a lot of cities.) 

kv_wip43_portal_hub_by_silvercleric-d91u
(Lighting not built but this still looked too cool to not share it.)  I'm in crunch mode these last two weeks of July.  Lots of small details are coming together pretty nicely.  

This picture above is the Portal Hub for quick travel around the map. Center pad is where players land when using a portal pad placed around one of the 6 main locations.

very smexy looking:)  thx for all the hard work you have put into this map!

@1aydan quote:

Your map deserves a ranked releases for all the hours put into this map  

Yeah that would be pretty nice. Unfortunately due to the size and functionality, getting it into ranked would be a very lengthy process, and a lot of the hand placed details would probably have to go, the Quality Assurance team would most undeniably insist on that.  There's also a few other reasons of a personal nature that it wont find its way to ranked, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

As it sits right now, even with optimization in mind, its a pretty demanding level. I would say it's a hardware issue, but I'm actually pushing the physical limitations of the 32bit code. The UDK without a ton of optimization on the API end, isn't designed for a Sandbox style of world in the slightest.  There's only so much I can do as the artist with Level of Detail Streaming and Cull Distance, before the engine starts grinding gears on memory/CPU/GPU blocks, which are hard limited by 32bit, and without punching new API code in to pull the most from those things.. my creativity sadly executes form over function.   There's some other tricks that involve actively loading levels as players get to those spots but I've found that can take longer than it does to travel to them on foot, and the performance increase is less than marginal.

Fortunately however it is not completely unplayable, but this would definitely strain even some decent systems hardware, and laptops are a very very big unknown at the moment. When I get to a bakeable point.. I intend on doing some thorough testing to see just how much of a benchmark this will be.

ALL of that being said, I do want it to be playable and enjoyable so I have prepared some other tricks at the cost of some visual fidelity, that greatly unburden the engine's rendering power. There will be 4 versions released. 2 with the more demanding assets in play, 1 day, 1 night. And 2 with the less demanding setup, 1 day 1 night.. and you could think of them as the minimalist version.