Sign in to follow this  
konflict

huntress mine stacking vs lveling them up

hi

i am not a true expert in minimaxing characters, but in the past, i have experienced the following statement:

one upgraded tower is better than 2 non upgraded towers. this seems to remain true. 

however i have noticed one exception: huntress mines. on my character it is better from a dps perspective to stack level 1 mines instead of upgrading them ...

can you confirm you experience similar things? 

Well on most towers upgrading once means double the overall DPS and increasing range; this doesn't happen to traps, the range doesn't increase, the rate doesn't increase, only the damage increases so upgrading it gives it a little more health and it stays with a bit less than double damage at the cost of 50 mana.

So with 50 mana you could build 2 and a half traps, so yeah spamming is way better unless you're dealing with very specific areas or are limited in DU :p

@Omamba quote:

I'm a little dissapointed they removed the increase to speed/attack rate on upgrade for towers.

On most towers, yes.  Earthshatters still gain speed per upgrade.

If we assume upgrading doubles the damage of a trap, let's say you have 100 green mana and 2 non-upgraded explosive traps already placed in a lane such that an enemy will trigger both traps.

Current damage = 2T (where T = damage done by an explosive trap)

Upgrading both traps (50 mana each) = 2T + 2T = 4T

Adding 5 additional traps such that an enemy will trigger all traps = 2T + 5T = 7T

You can't go wrong with more traps?

yeah trap's damage radius does upgrade, but it hardly justifies upgrading the traps (beside sparing some DLUs), correct? 

damage radius can be valuable , but far less than doubling(at least) the amount of traps.

traps spam is the way to go i guess.

The increased explosion radius but not increased trigger radius means more enemies move into the damage zone before it triggers. Combined with the increased damage it makes them far more effective than before. I have found the first upgrade is worth the cost. Further upgrades need more testing.

This is true, plus I believe the Explosion is the only damaging 20DU tower? Not counting barriers

@CBlue413 quote:

If we assume upgrading doubles the damage of a trap, let's say you have 100 green mana and 2 non-upgraded explosive traps already placed in a lane such that an enemy will trigger both traps.

Current damage = 2T (where T = damage done by an explosive trap)

Upgrading both traps (50 mana each) = 2T + 2T = 4T

Adding 5 additional traps such that an enemy will trigger all traps = 2T + 5T = 7T

You can't go wrong with more traps?