Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

Steam Achievements

Steam Achievements have been added. Completion of Steam Achievements is tied to the completion of specific Challenges, so you can complete both at once! Steam Achievements can be viewed from the Steam Overlay.

How do you feel about our new Steam Achievements?

Love it and can't wait to see more of them coming and more creative ones definitely!

Good start, I'm guessing the Achievements are tied into a Exponential Complexity.

About 18 on Day1, I'm already past 30/80. Now I'm guessing it's when it starts getting trickier, such as 5 consecutive criticals and Die 100 times :)

I remember id DD1 most of the achievements would pop retro-actively automatically. Doesnt happen here even with the most obvious ones like level up a char. My only complain, love them otherwise .

nice, but... all the challenges should give steam-achievements, and others 4 steam-achievements more for complete each hero challenges.

@zagam quote:

i have all heroes lvl 25 and all achievement for heroes lvl dont work

If you already had 3 level 25s prior to the creation of the achievements, that would be correct.  The achievement is only checked when a hero levels up, so you'll need to level another hero and likely get them to 25 for the "three 25s" one to be awarded.

I'd rather have achievements indicate an accomplishment of skill, like "finish an incursion without defenses", or "beat X map with only tier 5 defenses", or "beat X map using only tier 1 defenses".. Dying a crap-ton of times doesn't show skill; it shows that I enjoyed jumping off the cliffs of forgotten ruins a bunch of times waiting for the builder to do his thing.

Dying a bunch of times is more like an anti-achievement (you can press L in a build phase almost continuously).

But achievements like "finish an incursion without defenses" or "beat X map with only tier 5 defenses" or "beat X map using only tier 1 defenses" are the kind that encourage over-geared-ness.  That is, only being possible if you're stupidly overpowered for the content the achievement applies to.  And those aren't any good either.

@Draco18s quote:

Dying a bunch of times is more like an anti-achievement (you can press L in a build phase almost continuously).

But achievements like "finish an incursion without defenses" or "beat X map with only tier 5 defenses" or "beat X map using only tier 1 defenses" are the kind that encourage over-geared-ness.  That is, only being possible if you're stupidly overpowered for the content the achievement applies to.  And those aren't any good either.

While some of his specific examples might be that i still agree with his idea, that achievements should be something that is doable but hard to do, and actually shows you mastered the game, instead of what we have now.

Also really you can do the dying achievements too in build phase? lol i did notice the same with the trap activation that i got it in a build phase. So yeah imo achievements like that should ONLY count if done during combat phase, as there is no real skill or even reason to do those things during build phase

Okay, looking into these a bit more, I have some more feedback:

• Special enemies requirements are WAY too high. 1000?! Holy ******* ****! I would expect it to be 1/10/100, not 1/15/1000. Killing 1000 special enemies is just ridiculous. Given that we only see 1 (maybe 2) special enemies per map, it is absolutely not reasonable. 100 is still REALLY high, but at least its achieveable if you work at it long enough.
  • I'd like to see achievements for using EVERY defense, not just 1 per hero. Limiting achievements to specific defenses limits the amount of play time each defense gets. A lot of people (including me) adjust playstyles to get achievements, which means I'm going to use flamebursts (for the shoots da fire achievement) a lot more than I'll be using earthshatter towers. If there were achievements for ALL defenses, then I'd be encouraged to branch out to new playstyles.

Here are some specific achievements that I've conjured. They aren't difficult per se, but they would require planning and coordination in order to achieve:

• Deal the final blow to an ogre with one of your geyser traps.
  • Kill an ogre using only hero damage.
  • Kill an ogre using only defense damage.
  • Kill 50 wyverns as a huntress while inside a serenity aura.
  • Shatter 2 orcs simultaneously with the monk's pole smash.
  • Boost 3 allies' health simultaneously with heroic wave while all players are not at full health.
  • Kill 5 enemies simultaneously with a single arcane volley.
  • Complete a mission by only upgrading defenses to repair them.
  • Knock up 10 enemies in a single tornado.
  • Use chi blast to knock 25 enemies off cliffs.
  • Use heroic wave to heal 5000 HP on allies.
  • Kill 2 drakin with a single sword beam.
  • Shatter a dark mage with seismic slam.
  • Manually activate 50 blaze balloons that in turn deal damage to enemies.
  • Complete a wave with an objective surviving at less than 5% health.
  • Complete a mission with at least 3 objectives where no objective takes any damage.
  • Kill all flying kobolds in a mission before they have a chance to detonate.
  • Kill a chrome lady orc with a concussive shot.

As I think of more, I'll post them here.

I've given this some more thought, especially with the new spec node system coming out.

If you REALLY want to increase the replay value of the game, create achievements unique to every playstyle available for each hero. In addition, make sure each respective playstyle achievements include both of the following types:

1. Achievements that occur naturally after playing that playstyle for ~5 hours (such as deal X damage under X conditions)
  2. Achievements that players must go out of their way to achieve (such as deal the killing blow to an ogre with a geyser trap)

If you have several of these achievements with each playstyle under each hero, this means any completionists are going to be exposing themselves to all playstyles, which is exactly I'd like to see the game played.

@gigazelle quote:

2. Achievements that players must go out of their way to achieve (such as deal the killing blow to an ogre with a geyser trap)

If, and I can't stress this enough, if and only if such things are possible to do intentionally.  "Oh foo, Bob's lightning aura did the last tick!" (geyser + lightning combo is an encouraged strategy!) should not be something that happens over and over again in the attempt to get the achievement.  If I don't have control over the circumstances, there should not be a reward.

I don't mind such things being hard but I should be able to worth with my friends and go "ok, we're going to do This Thing" and not have to worry about random factors outside our control.  Eg. "Land the killing blow on an ogre with a geyser trap while snot-debuffed" would be a hyperbolic example.  There's no way I could intentionally do that.

@Draco18s quote:

If, and I can't stress this enough, if and only if such things are possible to do intentionally.  "Oh foo, Bob's lightning aura did the last tick!" (geyser + lightning combo is an encouraged strategy!) should not be something that happens over and over again in the attempt to get the achievement.  If I don't have control over the circumstances, there should not be a reward.

I don't mind such things being hard but I should be able to worth with my friends and go "ok, we're going to do This Thing" and not have to worry about random factors outside our control.  Eg. "Land the killing blow on an ogre with a geyser trap while snot-debuffed" would be a hyperbolic example.  There's no way I could intentionally do that.

I fully agree - elements of luck should play very little role in it.

In the event of killing an ogre with a geyser trap, having lightning auras up are going to be a legitimate obstacle that you'd want to coordinate with your team on. Alternatively you could do it solo, tank the ogre down to a few thousand health, summon a geyser trap, then kite him to obtain the achievement. It would never be something that would happen with normal gameplay, but if you do it intentionally, it would not be retardedly difficult.

@Gothraga quote:

Knocking X number of bad'ys off a cliff with whirlwind ability. in 1 match

Whirlwind doesn't feature knockback.  You're thinking Chi Blast.