Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

Huntress Balance Changes (Foundation 1)

Explosive traps are amazing and viable. I really like where they're at right now.

Geyser traps are amazing at being a utility/drench trap. I really like where they're at right now.

Poison darts are now 100% viable. I'd like to see a bit less damage per dart, and a lot more damage per poison tick. Other than that, I like where they're at right now.

Blaze balloons are awful. I'd like to see them as the highest AoE DPS in the game, but require a player hitting the balloon to activate it. That way it separates itself more from the electric aura utility, as currently they operate nearly identically.

I never use piercing shot, because it can't even kill goblins. I'm sure if I invested into gear that increases its damage it might do enough to kill a goblin, but that's still really pitiful. I'd like to see it be able to at least wipe all goblins without investment and wipe orcs if you dump everything into ability and piercing shot special stats.

Overall I definitely approve of the changes so far. Change the blaze balloon and piercing shot, and she'll be golden from my perspective.

@gigazelle quote:

Explosive traps are amazing and viable. I really like where they're at right now.

Geyser traps are amazing at being a utility/drench trap. I really like where they're at right now.

Poison darts are now 100% viable. I'd like to see a bit less damage per dart, and a lot more damage per poison tick. Other than that, I like where they're at right now.

Blaze balloons are awful. I'd like to see them as the highest AoE DPS in the game, but require a player hitting the balloon to activate it. That way it separates itself more from the electric aura utility, as currently they operate nearly identically.

I never use piercing shot, because it can't even kill goblins. I'm sure if I invested into gear that increases its damage it might do enough to kill a goblin, but that's still really pitiful. I'd like to see it be able to at least wipe all goblins without investment and wipe orcs if you dump everything into ability and piercing shot special stats.

Overall I definitely approve of the changes so far. Change the blaze balloon and piercing shot, and she'll be golden from my perspective.

Piercing shot won't kill anything even if you invest in ability power. But they have said in the streams a couple times now that they are going to be doing a rebalance on ability damage. 

I disagree on Poison Dart Tower. Its shotgun effect is what makes it extremely useful if you can keep the heavy targets in its firing arc. An upgraded PDT kills heavy targets faster than anything else.

Personally I dislike the manual activation nature of the Blaze Balloon. Even if its damage was worth it I think I would almost always use those defense points with something else for that reason.

@Hecate quote:
@Qbert quote:

Poison Dart: I might still use these from time to time. I will use them on corners, on a higher up spot etc sometimes so healers dont build up behind a wave of ogres or something and would die from the poison ticks. I still don't know how long the poison lasts, I never paid attention to that. How it works now is great compared to before. A straight line before was almost useless unless done perfectly. Now you can have it in quite a few more spots.

The poison lasts a really really long time, which would be really nice against bosses since at max stack you can easily get your ticks above 5k each... but it is still way too weak compared to other ranged DPS defenses. You need to land way too many darts very early in the enemies' path to make the DoT and (vicarious) total damage worthwhile, which is simply too many requirements when you could just have another class place a better, more reliable tower instead.

IMO the cone size needs to be larger; i.e. a larger spread so that you can land more darts on enemies passing by.

A larger spread on the dart tower would kill it. Its best use right now is the shotgun effect on heavy targets. My fastest ogre kills have been when I had one dead on to a dart tower. What the tower really needs is just a little bit of a turning arc. Nothing large like the Cannon or Ballista but even a little bit would really help.

That's sorta what I meant

played with the traps a tiny bit wasn't to sure on them  the gyser combo was fun  to use till  i started messing with auras/cannonball freaze towers  havent really touched them since 

dps seams well crazy at times ( normaly find the lane with the most mobs in it/the lane with a mini boss in the find a line of sight from the ferthest posible place i can stand from there and dps from there (due to the ranged damage buff  i can normaly take an ogers hp or mini boss hp down 15k a hit sometimes higher ) combine that with the insane legendary bow that mitagates armour after a while and well my friend gave up trying to make a dps app/munk after seeing what i could do 

In my opinion the huntress isn't quite in the right place if she is supposed to fit an attrition role. I feel the current play style of huntress places too much emphasis on trap maintenance. This could be improved by increasing base trap durability. When gearing for tower power and tower speed her damage is comparable to the other hero's, however in doing so trap durability is just too low. My explosive trap in current gear (1014 t power, 997 t speed, 256 t health) has 48 charges it takes 50 second after the first enemy hits it too run out if left unattended. This will obviously vary depending on lane density but when you have multiple traps down the game becomes a repair loop chore with no time for anything else. I'm currently in the process of gearing for tower health and tower power to see how that performs but I'm expecting a significant dps drop. I feel tower health and tower power fits well (without testing) with current trap design and should probably be balanced around this. 

• Geyser Traps are great as they are.
  • Explosive Trap damage is nice but they require too much maintenance
  • Dart Tower fire mechanics are nice and unique with multiple projectiles but initial dart damage should be greatly lowered and rolled into the poison damage over time. It would also be nice if poison dot damage was shown in the tower tooltip under damage dealt.
  • Blaze Balloon is trash currently, you guys know it. Funny enough its one of my favorite traps mechanic wise. It needs balance though, I would expect massive burn damage with a decent length damage over time and significantly lower recharge time some where around 5 seconds without tower speed.

tl;dr Increase base durability of traps to reduce maintenance or balance traps around health and power so we can gear that way and still be competitive without needing speed.

That's the natural consequence for creating a "glass cannon" specced huntress; in that same breath, the huntress sees the negative effects of a glass cannon spec far more than any other class.

Monk auras can last much longer than huntress traps with similar defense health stats; what I'd actually like to see is the other classes rebalanced to match the consequences of defense health if it is 100% neglected.

Right now I have a traptress, and have invested 154 into t.health (bringing it to 410 total). That seems to be enough to let all my traps work their course without requiring maintenance during a wave (they get pretty low, but don't go down). I'd actually like to see other defenses' initial health be lowered and scale higher with tower health. That way it becomes an actual factor in terms of balance, and not an unwanted and instantly discarded stat like it is right now. If you want to go a 100% glass cannon build investing literally everything in tower attack and rate, you get to deal with the downsides of those defenses being very fragile and expensive in terms of repairing.

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not and i don't have a picture of it atm, but i will get one sooner or later.

The Poison Dart Tower shoots at the ground sometimes.

Condition:
If an enemy is right at the edge of the firing range, sometimes slightly within the range, (i'm not sure it is hard to tell since i never put the HUD up to check the range of towers "After" placing them down) the towers will shoot at the ground.

Evaluation:
Once any enemy gets within a closer range the towers will start to shoot at their designated range. (Also the darts will fly even further than the towers range) Which is why I am confused as to why they initially shoot at the ground. I pay attention to the splatter when the darts connect with anything, as well as how far they go. They always shoot the ground first.

P.S.
There is no place for Foundation Part 2 considering towers since it isn't really the focus, but I'm confused as to why there is a number drop on DPS. I usually try to memorize what it was before so i can see the difference when using different stats, but instead of being 5k at max rank, they are around 2k/3k i believe. It doesn't really seem to affect my towers efficiency, but now trying to figure out the best place for my towers is confusing now since the numbers changed.