Daily systems (especially ones that include any sort of reward that can't be earned elsewhere) are awful. Enough that they will make me stop playing a game and give negative word of mouth about it.

It's a weak way to time gate players, and it favors players who have more spread out play times than those who can play in bursts. Time gating is NOT fun. It is annoying and frustrating. Dailies might seem appealing because they get people to log in every day, but they also have the added effect of pushing many people away.

Please reconsider dailies!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Svenn quote:

Daily systems (especially ones that include any sort of reward that can't be earned elsewhere) are awful. Enough that they will make me stop playing a game and give negative word of mouth about it.

It's a weak way to time gate players, and it favors players who have more spread out play times than those who can play in bursts. Time gating is NOT fun. It is annoying and frustrating. Dailies might seem appealing because they get people to log in every day, but they also have the added effect of pushing many people away.

I agree with you even though I am perfectly okay with having dailies. However, claiming they push players away without a detail explanation results in it being just that, a claim. Explain the scenario where this happens. Give the proper reasoning to why a player may feel a certain way.

@MasterOfLazyness quote:

@Svenn quote:

I agree with you even though I am perfectly okay with having dailies. However, claiming they push players away without a detail explanation results in it being just that, a claim. Explain the scenario where this happens. Give the proper reasoning to why a player may feel a certain way.

In my specific case (and I've met others that fall into these as well):
1) I feel obligated to log in every day, even on days when I might not be up for playing for whatever reason. Over time, this starts to wear on me and I start to resent the game for trying to control my play time. I could skip a day but...
2) If I miss a day, I lose a lot of motivation to play. I feel like I've fallen behind. This is made far worse in systems where there are exclusive rewards, to where missing a single day can mean I've lost all of my motivation to play again because it's impossible to now "catch up". In cases where there are not exclusive rewards it's not as extreme, but I still feel like I've missed out and fallen behind.

Those are the two main reasons. Additionally, it creates an uneven playing field. The play time of someone who can play for an hour a day 7 days a week (7 hours in a week) is worth more than the play time of someone who can play only twice a week for 4 hours a day (8 hours in a week). Someone's time shouldn't be more valuable because based on when they can play. Everyone's time should be equal, regardless of when they can play.

@Svenn quote:

@MasterOfLazyness quote:

@Svenn quote:

In my specific case (and I've met others that fall into these as well):
1) I feel obligated to log in every day, even on days when I might not be up for playing for whatever reason. Over time, this starts to wear on me and I start to resent the game for trying to control my play time. I could skip a day but...
2) If I miss a day, I lose a lot of motivation to play. I feel like I've fallen behind. This is made far worse in systems where there are exclusive rewards, to where missing a single day can mean I've lost all of my motivation to play again because it's impossible to now "catch up". In cases where there are not exclusive rewards it's not as extreme, but I still feel like I've missed out and fallen behind.

Those are the two main reasons. Additionally, it creates an uneven playing field. The play time of someone who can play for an hour a day 7 days a week (7 hours in a week) is worth more than the play time of someone who can play only twice a week for 4 hours a day (8 hours in a week). Someone's time shouldn't be more valuable because based on when they can play. Everyone's time should be equal, regardless of when they can play.

See, this is proper feedback. It explains the errors very well. If more people did responses like this the game would be a lot better in the future.

I often end up feeling somewhat similar to what you've said but I also have the tendency to get bored of a game extremely quickly (like, stupidly quick). So I've simply stopped caring about doing dailies entirely and play whenever or whatever I wish. However, I'm aware not everyone is as weird as I and would like to keep enjoying what they enjoy.

Currently the only thing that keeps me coming back to DD2 is that the game requires feedback and I'm very opinionated and nit-picky. I prefer professionalism and good design over "it looks nice". To me, it doesn't matter how nice it looks if it doesn't help the player achieve their goal. If it can be improved for the better then, improve it but not because you just want to seem innovative. There is a reason why small and big companies copy the UI and interactive nature of certain games. It's because that's the example of good design in the gaming world.

I have no issues with dailies but if this is the only means then they might as well make it worthwhile and not so grueling to get something.

@Gutu quote:

@Zea quote:

@Gutu quote:

I like the idea, but now it needs some work, needs more creativity and be more rewardish. Maybe instead of giving the people the influence point by starting the game, how about giving the influence point for completing the daily mission? 

How about 1 cash shop currency? Teehee :)

That would be fun, after a year worth premium currency they could buy the monk skin ahha =P 
But jokes aside it could actually be something worth thinking about. 

premium currency instead of influents points would be nice :)

On top of them not working half the time I don't like the fact is between 1 and 4 tokens when 1 token is on really easy mode but the 4 token quest is one of the hardest in the game. As well as the base quest is pretty...well worthless I would like to see that reworked.

Need more options and better rewards. As it is there's not really any point doing the normal one at max level. It would also be nice to see either more Wyvern Tokens from the daily, or other ways of getting them. Like maybe a chance to get them from chests.

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this in the weekend brainstorming, but I feel it needs to be here too. Personally, I think that the whole daily mission thing needs a HUGE overhaul, and I know people have mixed feelings on a little game called Destiny, but one thing they did well was giving everyone enough to do in a day and enough reason to come back...even if it got repetitive. Okay, so into the idea!

I'll try to keep this short, but daily missions as of now are WAY too easy. They are about on the level of the bounties in Destiny. They are easy little snippits (kill 100 goblins, kill 25 wyverns, etc) that you complete while doing other things as a small way to get some extra currency or experience, so why not let us have options of like ten or so that switch out each day for us to complete? Maybe we can hold five of these missions at a time and they can be referred to as quests or something? tasks? something smaller than "DAILY MISSION" whereas that title should be reserved for one bigger thing to do in a day. Maybe beat a mission on a certain difficulty or get to a certain wave in onslaught. Something similar to Betsy missions, and big enough that you need to take some time and skill to complete, and then the Daily Mission should award some sort of special currency needed for maybe the uber skill sphere shop. Then as different quests like Betsy, and future quests are added, they can add a daily mission quest giver for those questlines specifically, as they have, and then those quests will reward currency needed for specific items tailored more towards that questline. Maybe the Betsy coins are allowed to purchase ubers that seem dragon-like (I know she's a wyvern by technicality, but come on) and then also a special pet, maybe tower skins? and maybe even her special weapons are purchase-able with her coins. Then if we ever have let's say a Kobold King questline, we get Kobold Koins, three levels for the quest, with a boss, a quest giver for those levels who rewards us with Kobold Koins, and with them we can purchase the Kobold Kings weapons, Kobold themed skins, a Kobold on a treadmill egg, and stuff like that.

On top of all of that, I think that there needs to be a weekly mission that is harder, and might require more specific things, and that could reward whatever special things that they want. Wyvern Tokens, the generic special currency, Kobold Koins, or whatever.

Sorry that's a lot, but honestly I feel like Dungeon Defenders needs this. It would help grinding feel...more like it has a purpose? And how it is now, I load up the game, do the easy Daily Missions, and go "Welp I did everything" and quit till tomorrow. This would give us a good amount to do in a day that could feel different and refreshing and get us to try the game in many new ways. Hopefully some Dev will see this and at least take some of these ideas!

@LennStar quote:

I think we all agree that

1) the reward isnt rewarding

2) the missions are "boring" in the sense that you do it anyway

My proposion is to get a bit loose on the daily or even lose it completely and make it a mission board.

it would still have todays daily in slot 1 (choose from 3 missions) with todays reward in XP and gold. For this you have 24h time and it would change daily.

Slot 2 would give missions that are either Map specific (kill 20 orcs on map X, successful finish map Y - for new players it would show the next unfinished map) or type specific with a high number (e.g. 4x daily). You have a week to complete it, choose from 2, daily change. Reward is an item (choose from 2). This item could be (to be implemented) consumable.

Slot 3 is for the long-time play and could have missions like "kill 100 Orcs with explosive trap" or "damage 1000 enemies that get killed by another player" or other quite specific tasks. Reward is a very good item or several consumables + a chunk of XP. There is no time in which you need to end this and there is always only one mission of this type shown. But it changes hourly so you have to decide "is that a mission I want to do or do I wait a bit and look again?"

So in the end you can have 3 mission with varying time and difficulty. You can try to choose them so that you can do a smaller one while doing a bigger one - but you also need to be lucky for that.

Interesting choices is the magic word. 

Consumables could be one-use items that give you 10% more hero damage for one map or heal all your defenses for 20% once or something like that - no game change, but maybe that tiny bit that is the difference between lose or win in the last wave.

FAVORITE IDEA I'VE SEEN regarding Daily Missions, other than my own, which admittedly I stole from Destiny...either way, you and I both agree that the missions are things we do anyways, and we need reason to play longer each day. Longer/harder daily missions with greater rewards. I suggest you post this on the weekend brainstorming thread for the Devs to have a better chance at seeing it!

• 2 weeks later...
@Alpha Kitten1739 quote:

It would be more satisfying if you could speak to the quest giver and claim your reward instead of it happening automatically.

That really depends on the quest.

That said, the ones we have, yes, you probably should.

@Alpha Kitten1739 quote:

It would be more satisfying if you could speak to the quest giver and claim your reward instead of it happening automatically.

Yeah but in general... The reward is just a small ...

Overall the daily Quests are good , but the daily Quests .. you can reach it if you just play. There need to be a challenge in it.

My thoughts after playing the game for a few days.  This probably repeats a lot of stuff that's been said already.

Current dailies from the colonel feel inconsequential.  The goals don't affect my gameplay since I encounter those enemies in every map map anyway.  The rewards are small enough to be practically nonexistent.  Visiting the colonel at the start of each day is already out of habit and because he has the exclamation mark over his head, not because I'm in any way excited to do the daily.

To be more engaging, the dailies should offer incentives to try different strategies or play different maps.  Some ideas:

• The enemies must be killed on a particular map
  • Prohibit the use of a certain hero
  • Require spending at least a third of the defense budget on a particular defense
  • Restrict where defenses can be built
  • Have the locked lanes be open from the start of the map
  • Make designated enemies only killable with a certain status combo
Rewards need to be beefed up as well.  You could offer two or three different rewards from which the player can pick one:
  • Significant amount of gold
  • Double gold from next map, including selling items
  • Lockbox key
  • Mythical item with some desirable property picked by the player
  • Special eggs
  • Temporary stat buff until dailies are reset

• 1 month later...

My problem is that i don't get my daily mission, and this is the second day...

I prefer play at night time, and im online at 00:00, maybe this is the problem ?

Or what can i do to get again daily missions ?

@Abnormal™ quote:

My problem is that i don't get my daily mission, and this is the second day...

I prefer play at night time, and im online at 00:00, maybe this is the problem ?

Or what can i do to get again daily missions ?

Dailies should populate at 1AM EDT if you're in-game. Also, a patch is expected to release tomorrow that will hopefully address this issue for a lot of people.

I just got a daily quest for the second time since the wipe (I had gotten one right after the wipe and then none, playing every single day), so hope it's fixed.

I don't think daily quests need to be challenging, see Hearthstone for example (which is very, very similar to DD2: you get 3 slots, a daily quest, and the ability to reroll a quest daily), they're pretty simple to do, hardest would be changing classes in order to complete a daily that requires a specific class if you don't have a deck for that (or a leveled up character, or gear in the case of DD2). If a quest is too difficult you'll just play it on an easy map to get it out of the way and get the rewards faster, especially if they are beefed up.

They're a nice way to have some progress, and if you're offline for a couple days you have a little more to do and not feel "too far behind".

I have a question, though: if I don't play for two days, will I still receive those two daily quests? Or are the extra slots useful only if you logged, got a quest, but were unable to finish it?

@Bacheleren quote:

I have a question, though: if I don't play for two days, will I still receive those two daily quests? Or are the extra slots useful only if you logged, got a quest, but were unable to finish it?

By design, its supposed to be you get a backlog if you dont log in for a couple days. In its current implementation however, it only backlogs them if you're logged in during the daily quest reset.

@gigazelle quote:

By design, its supposed to be you get a backlog if you dont log in for a couple days. In its current implementation however, it only backlogs them if you're logged in during the daily quest reset.

It currently seems to work differently for different accounts.  I'm getting new dailies even if I'm not logged in at reset time.  Other people have reported they're never getting any.

Personally I would prefer daily quests that are a little more obscure or out of the box.

For example I dislike Hearthstone quests which are "Win 5 games as X class" or "Summon 100 x cost minions."  These kind of dailies basically complete themselves in time, without extra thought.

We can already grind for gold and experience, so having a daily which makes us play more strategically, or in a fun way would be a welcome addition.

Its just a joke, Trendy.
My Mate is getting 9 Dailys a day, and i got None or at least only 1.
You MUST fix this bug, because its annoying and its like "pay2win" but in this case its "BUG2WIN".
People with these bugs can buy each 3-4 days a new uber. Thats such a joke.

Its sad and im really disappointed in your bug-updates. New stuff is coming up, but each update you are bringing out implements more and more bugs.
Do you even have a QA? I can tell that, because you literally have no testing at all. WE are the testers? Paying customers AND testers for you. The game is cool, but your playtesting is the worst i have ever seen.
Maybe thats why you let the "pre-alpha" thing there all the time. So you can say after each update:
"Its a pre-alpha guys, dont blame us!"

Annoyed and sad. And as a company you should know how important quality assurance really is!

Pleases test your new stuff more serious from now on. Its annoying. A good company should test their games properly.

@EsZeus quote:

Its just a joke, Trendy.
My Mate is getting 9 Dailys a day, and i got None or at least only 1.
You MUST fix this bug, because its annoying and its like "pay2win" but in this case its "BUG2WIN".
People with these bugs can buy each 3-4 days a new uber. Thats such a joke.

Its sad and im really disappointed in your bug-updates. New stuff is coming up, but each update you are bringing out implements more and more bugs.
Do you even have a QA? I can tell that, because you literally have no testing at all. WE are the testers? Paying customers AND testers for you. The game is cool, but your playtesting is the worst i have ever seen.
Maybe thats why you let the "pre-alpha" thing there all the time. So you can say after each update:
"Its a pre-alpha guys, dont blame us!"

Annoyed and sad. And as a company you should know how important quality assurance really is!

Pleases test your new stuff more serious from now on. Its annoying. A good company should test their games properly.

They are currently looking for help in fixing the daily issues, because their internal testing does not reveal any bugs.  See this thread.

is there a place to go that explains how to complete the daily quest? it took me forever to get a straight answer about the electrocute shine quest. the quest literally say electrocute enemies. so i put down carpet bomb runs of monk lighting aura. after 3-4 boards with no kills for the daily i had to keep asking in the social chat . finally somebody said lay down a hunter water first then they will get electrocuted. now i am trying to do the kill enemies with traps. what is considered a trap the hunter stuff? the monk stuff? give some explaination as what we are supposed to be doing

@Aventinus quote:

is there a place to go that explains how to complete the daily quest? it took me forever to get a straight answer about the electrocute shine quest. the quest literally say electrocute enemies. so i put down carpet bomb runs of monk lighting aura. after 3-4 boards with no kills for the daily i had to keep asking in the social chat . finally somebody said lay down a hunter water first then they will get electrocuted. now i am trying to do the kill enemies with traps. what is considered a trap the hunter stuff? the monk stuff? give some explaination as what we are supposed to be doing

Electrocute - deal storm damage to a drenched enemy.
Ignite - deal fire damage to an oiled enemy.
Traps - Explosive traps, geyser traps, and blaze balloons

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did not receive a new daily mission today, the patch that was release has not made any difference but I was not expecting it to as that notes do not mention any such fix,  I rely hope this does not happen tomorrow, as this was a real issue last month for me when I did not receive any daily missions for upto 3-4 days.