Sign in to follow this  
Yuwee

Item Stat Ranges

I would like to see the possible stats that an item could roll similar to Diablo 3 system. Knowing how far away from perfect an item is will help determine whether its worth upgrading or not. See below for an example:

6YRSo4Q.png

Sorry, but am against this. It takes away the mystery to farming, it makes rebalancing harder, and it makes you quit when you realize you wont ever get anything better.

"A lot easier" Thats one reason not to add this into the game. You've got to make your own choices and work out yourself if different gear is better. Diablo is just a way to easy game!

@Twitching quote:

That would be a great idea! Would make gearing a lot easier.

Well in my opinion, searching the internet for which max stats  a item can have is a bid of hassle. Seeing it on the item itself make it player friendlier, maybe easier was the wrong word.

@gnollmar quote:

Sorry, but am against this. It takes away the mystery to farming, it makes rebalancing harder, and it makes you quit when you realize you wont ever get anything better.

I don't see how this will effect balance as this is already happening behind the scenes, the only change would be that the stat ranges are made visible. As far as making you quit goes, there will come a point where are hero is rarely picking gear with or without stat ranges being implemented. Hope for better gear is not the only thing keeping a player in game. Having fun and challenging content will do this.

@Felix2011 quote:

You've got to make your own choices and work out yourself if different gear is better.

You will still have to calculate what the optimal stats for your build will be, visible stat ranges will not effect this. 

@Twitching quote:

Well in my opinion, searching the internet for which max stats  a item can have is a bid of hassle. Seeing it on the item itself make it player friendlier, maybe easier was the wrong word. 

Indeed, having to search for this information out of game is less than ideal. The better alternative is to have the information readily available in game. 

I think it will be more numbers to confuse new comers, maybe if there was a toggle for it in the options that was disabled by default?, or Simply we could get that info out of the wikia if you actually cared about knowing it, which is for stuff like that that we have a wikia i guess?

Yep definitely a great idea. That was one of the few things the Diablo 3 loot system did well and where it didn't fail entirely. Hopefully it is also implemented in a similar fashion where it is push to see stat range.

Zero reason not to do this other than perhaps risk of cluttering the UI.  To those saying it removes mystery and shouldn't be shown: as if people couldn't just use google/wiki to find out? apprentice_small.png

@Prince Mononoke quote:

Zero reason not to do this other than perhaps risk of cluttering the UI.  To those saying it removes mystery and shouldn't be shown: as if people couldn't just use google/wiki to find out? apprentice_small.png

Is there any info of stat ranges in DD2 available now? I tried to google it, but I couldn't find anything.

@FrogKeeper quote:

Is there any info of stat ranges in DD2 available now? I tried to google it, but I couldn't find anything.

All I know offhand are two of the more important monk white text caps as of the current patch:

LAR 13.75%

Boost aura damage bonus 11.5%

This is not firsthand info, but it's from sources I trust, for whatever that's worth. xD  (I might be remembering the latter wrong, it might be 11.25 or 11.75, but I'm positive on the LAR)

@Gutu quote:

I think it will be more numbers to confuse new comers, maybe if there was a toggle for it in the options that was disabled by default?, or Simply we could get that info out of the wikia if you actually cared about knowing it, which is for stuff like that that we have a wikia i guess?

Well, since he or she is mentioning an idea from Diablo 3 it only makes sense to take the entire idea from Diablo 3 and not just a single part of it. In Diablo 3 the range numbers are a toggle. You see the ranges by holding down a button, similar to how we hold Left Shift to see Tower ranges.

Literally could just make it a toggle when Ctrl is held down.

Oh my, some of these answers are just nonsensical.

@gnollmar quote:

What mystery is there to farming? It's random numbers being randomly generated. There was no actual mystery in the first place. It's grinding! You work towards something in hopes you'll get it. Knowing the stat ranges of an item changes nothing but knowing how good an item could be. It's literally a faster process than say, you got the item, fully upgraded it and then got another item with slightly higher base stats. You obviously could figure out that the first one you had was weaker. It doesn't matter if the game told you this or not, you can figure it out yourself very quickly. However, it took getting a second version of it to find that out. Knowing this information before wasting a ton of gold on an item can be helpful to players. New or old, doesn't matter.

There is no way it makes reblancing harder. It's literally the same amount of difficulty as before. The only change is now the fanbase can help with very detail suggestions in number tweaks. If someone tried out a weapon and armor combo and found out it scales too well, they could suggest lowering its stats by a very specific amount. If the fanbase does that, it would actually speed up reblancing of items.

"Makes you quit when you realize you won't ever get anything better", this is a possibility whether or not seeing stat ranges exists or not. You can only be ignorant of something for so long until your bubble is shattered. You could be farming X area to get X fancy item for weeks and not get one that rolls with higher base stats than your last one. You aren't told the best rolls but that doesn't mean someone can't find extremely good rolls that you simply have been unable to get. We have forums here and no doubt in my mind that someone wouldn't post a picture of their insanely well rolled gear. It just means the bubble takes a little longer before it's popped.

A player will always make an excuse to quit. It could be Lockboxes. It could be the 8 hour timer for Eggs. It could be anything (Back in DD1 people quit because they couldn't make a character and had to use the story base characters instead). Simply claiming something is a vague possibility for a player to quit is not a valid reason for something extremely useful --to new and old players alike-- to not be in the game.

@Felix2011 quote:

"A lot easier" Thats one reason not to add this into the game. You've got to make your own choices and work out yourself if different gear is better. Diablo is just a way to easy game!

@Twitching quote:

That would be a great idea! Would make gearing a lot easier.

Lol, now this is funny to read. I've played Diablo 3 for many years and simply knowing how well something can roll doesn't make it even remotely easier to get the gear you want. You're still fighting with RNG to even get the gear to drop. Then you're fighting with RNG again to get it to roll with Stats remotely useful to you. After all of that, you still need them to roll with high ranges.

Knowing the ranges allows you to make an informed decision, that's it. You know you will most likely never see a 100% perfect rolled piece of gear but you can obviously roll pretty close to that. Knowing the ranges allows you to stop while your luck is still good.

In DD2, it's literally, glance at item to see if the base stats are better than what I got before, upgraded and am now wearing. After that it's thinking about the bonuses on the item.