Javelin throwers

I was thinking maybe these guys shouldn't have piercing shots? because right now because of that the squires walls are made useless and have almost no point in having them because you can't build behind them because they just get hit anyway and these guys already out-range towers so I think why should they have a piercing shot?

I think there should be another guy who has a piercing shot but one who doesn't out-range your towers.

I think this way people will actually utilize the squires walls and thus make his walls no longer useless

I've said the same thing while playing with my friend who's a Squire, early on we found that blockades were pretty crap just from the javeliners because it acts as an access gate to your towers since they can just hail mary piercing javelins.

I don't mind them having such long range, but having them pierce kind of defeats the purpose of having blockades.

Well the the point of the javelin throwers is to make it where you cant just sit behind your super powerful barricade and reap the rewards.  Trendy wants to give you incentive to want to go out and KILL the javelin thrower.  

I mean, the barriers are still useful. Set them up to block any kobolts that get through. But ya until you hit level two tower those guys are annoying. :D

@rmon222 quote:

Don't put towers behind barricades. Use barricades like a decoy.

Our group has had that idea and tried it, and while it did sort of work, it mostly ended up being annoying trying to make sure no towers were in a 45-90 degree angle behind the blockade otherwise somehow a tower would be getting hit.

It would really just be more nice if either Javelin throwers didn't have piercing projectiles, or blockades weren't able to be pierced. It would still mean you'd have to watch for them, but they wouldn't be able to just keep using them as a service gate to your towers.

@Akutare quote:

@rmon222 quote:

Don't put towers behind barricades. Use barricades like a decoy.

Our group has had that idea and tried it, and while it did sort of work, it mostly ended up being annoying trying to make sure no towers were in a 45-90 degree angle behind the blockade otherwise somehow a tower would be getting hit.

It would really just be more nice if either Javelin throwers didn't have piercing projectiles, or blockades weren't able to be pierced. It would still mean you'd have to watch for them, but they wouldn't be able to just keep using them as a service gate to your towers.

I think the blockades just need to reduce all damage to the defenses behind like 80% or so.

So at this point a friend and i have been playing with me dropping aura's and squire stuff, and him on an app. So I've got my squire tuned for tower hp at the moment so he's mostly the wall boy. (btw we are using this setup to try to not use the op hunt/monk trap/aura combo) As of right now walls are best used in tight spaces around corners with a lightning aura stacked on them backed up by app towers. This is super useful imo and if done correctly the javelins never get a shot until they are in the aura. Now this is obviously very situational and dependent on map layout but it does work. However all the rest of the squire towers are at this point truly useless imo because they just can't compete with app towers atm.

@Infernotez quote:I think the blockades just need to reduce all damage to the defenses behind like 80% or so.

Piercing shots already do less damage.  I don't know what the value is on the Javelins, but it's non-zero.

@CavemanOhYea quote:

I find that you don't even need to build walls in general so what does it matter?

Well its mostly because if we are going to have 4 towers to choose from it would be nice if those 4 towers were actually useful. And as of this stage walls serve almost 0 purpose so either make them worthwhile or replace them with something that is worthwhile. Least that's my personal view on the situation

It'll always be difficult to defend yourself against javelins.. Bu that doesn't affect how well the wall works against meele or shorter ranged monsters... So, just because they don't help against javelins, they still help against other monsters, especially if you build tower hp.

Quite.  I use walls all the time.  It's actually very tricky to manage flow without them and I've ended up using the objectives themselves as very beefy walls, which works up to a point.

I usually use my own towers as walls.. works fine against everything but ogres =D against ogres i use myself until my towers get a good dps to melt ogres

@Gutu quote:

I usually use my own towers as walls.. works fine against everything but ogres =D against ogres i use myself until my towers get a good dps to melt ogres

thats what i do

Well generally you're supposed to stagger your Towers from the walls themselves.

|

So it would look like                                               ===Wall====

|

{Tower]          |            [Tower]

V

(Path of Tossed Javelin)

The walls generate a higher threat than towers do, for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...

Putting a wall in front of towers, but around a corner, seems to have some wild effects too:

|                       |

/                        |

______/                          |

[Wall]

[Tower] [Tower]

The above actually has mobs target the wall they can't shoot at until they are right in front of the towers.

[[63276,users]] careful as i've noticed the walls to have indeed a threat generation but it has an area to it, if the mob doesn't get into the threat area it won't aggro him

You gotta be careful anyways.  Not only is there so few corridors which you could actually do this (as the wall must always be closer than the tower, but must be around a corner), but you end up with the towers gaining threat fast when they start hitting.  You will draw in an enemy in this case, but you could simply have them give up on the wall at one point and attack the tower instead.  The walls need to deal their damage to sustain threat.  Also, some ranged enemies seem to find ways to fire in impossible angles, and manage to hit the wall anyway through terrain.  This is only an idea to spawn more ideas, it is in no way a complete thing.  Additionally, until the new patch, almost no one needs a way to make walls work anyway.