Sign in to follow this  
dmvanmeveren

Pets: Monster Rancher-Style

Best frens:

Has anyone played the Monster Rancher games?

Let's implement a pet system like that.

• Pets progress in level and power as you use them in battle, or you could raise multiple pets in a corral and let them graze to slowly increase their level. 
  • Pets die after their life span's are through
  • Pets can be combined in a kind of fusion laboratory in order to create unique, more powerful pets that can live longer and have a higher level cap.
  • Pets could be sold or traded to other players up to a point (maybe when they are babies, for example), but would be soul-bound after a point (when they actually become useful).

Implementing this system would:

1. Introduce pet theory-crafting in fusions
  2. Discovery of new breeds of pets in an immense pet encyclopedia
  3. Discourage boring farming for a certain pet (After all, this is a RPG tower defense game, this is not Harvest Moon!)
  4. Encourage pet leveling for a smoother, more enjoyable progression in attempting more difficult challenges

I don't know about pet evolutions, because that's a bit too pokemon-ish. Instead, pets could go through their entire life cycle and change appearance according to their age and function. For example, when you first breed a new pet, it would be a baby. As it grows older, it slowly changes appearance and looks more and more BA.

There could be an entirely new class: Beast Tamer, who is purely offensive and can control three pets at once.

Yes?

No?

I don't  like the idea of pets dying in-game, but I do like the idea of fusing them and being able to breed pets into better ones. Seems like to much work to be sifting through dead and new pets.

Edit: added don't ^^.

[[47405,users]] quote:

I like the idea of pets dying in-game, but I do like the idea of fusing them and being able to breed pets into better ones. Seems like to much work to be sifting through dead and new pets.

Because pets could die in Monster Rancher, that means that you were on a certain time limit to accomplish as much as possible before the pet died, and encouraged you to treat the pet in ways that allow it to live longer.

With the possibility of extremely difficult end-game content, the possibility of pet death would add a new degree of encouragement to get as far as possible.

Pets could also have temperaments (think of breeding in Pokemon Pearl or Diamond) such as cheerful, grumpy, stubborn, enthusiastic, joyful, etc. that identify how its stats will likely progress with levels.

[[69010,users]] quote:

Someone suggested a druid. A druid is known to be one with nature, maybe druid and beast tamer could be one :P

Ermm...

My Druid is more like a WoW Druid rather than a "pet themed" Druid. I'm sorry if this ruins the idea for making the two classes into one.

[[66655,users]] quote:

Belgarionriva quote:

Someone suggested a druid. A druid is known to be one with nature, maybe druid and beast tamer could be one :P

Ermm...

My Druid is more like a WoW Druid rather than a "pet themed" Druid. I'm sorry if this ruins the idea for making the two classes into one.

Nope. I totally agree.