Sign in to follow this  
Gutu

Server List

2015 Note: Glad to see more and more people feel like this, I must warn you that what you see next is quite old related, but you can get the idea of how much options and benefits that could be created by implementing something like this.

This images all come from this google sheet (check the tabs)

Note 1: This is also posted in the defense council suggestions, i posted it here to have a wider room of feedback towards this idea, don't take this as a spam by being posted here too but rather as me trying to get as much feedback on this idea as possible!

Note 2: This is essentially a server list, suggestion as tons of us asked, i added some features to show how small things that can be added to maximize each player's choice in what to play. Call it Server list or party tracker, it's a necessary feature that really leaves some of us very happy to have this freedom of choice and allow us to play how we want the way we want.

First Menu

33mva55.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/33mva55.jpg

Server List

ir0zev.jpghttp://oi60.tinypic.com/ir0zev.jpg

Create Server Room / Map Selection

24gpxcy.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/24gpxcy.jpg

First Menu:

• Play Public: Play public is Similar to the actual Matchmaking system, where people are bought together or a new server is created for them. This server is shown also in the server list as a "Default Room" (any name works) with the usual default settings (the ones we have now).
  • Play Private: Play a private game, just like we have at the moment our private games, no need to change much about it.
  • Server List: A list of all the ongoing games with filters.
  • Create Server Room: Create a Serve Room as it says, with lots of custom options :)
  • Go Tavern: Go to your tavern like private game but with the option to turn it into a Server Room and choose it's settings at any time.

Server List:

• Game Name: The title of the room.
  • Leader: The person who created the room.
  • Players: with the option to check what other players are in that room. (see a name you know and dislike? don't join :D) Also with how many slots are there available. 
  • Map
  • Difficulty
  • Level
  • Mode: whatever will be on release just thought it would look good to place it there :)
  • Wave: it's always good to know which wave you'll be joining 
  • Kick: Now this is something i've really thought about, people dislike and like kick option and it really comes down to personal experience and taste, do you want to not have a chance to get kicked out of the game? Join a game with no kick option. Other things could be implemented like a timer on how long it would be necessary for the kick option to be enabled, but this is a different matter.
  • AFK Timer: how long until people get kicked for insactivity?
  • Server
  • Ping
  • Game Notes: The game name can be quite a limitation in letters, specify exactly what's the purpose of your room, let's know what exactly the owner of the game is expecting on the game, by having a detailed description kicks will be spared. Have you ever wanted to do something different? Are you just looking to dps as other build? join somebody who's building. Are you into building all yourself? Let everybody else know that and have dps help and chat.

Create Server Room/ Map Selection

• Game Name: Type down the name of your room,
  • Game Notes: Type down some notes for your room, what are you looking for? what are you doing? what do you want?
  • Level
  • Difficulty
  • Kick: as mentioned above: people dislike and like kick option and it really comes down to personal experience and taste.
  • Max Player number: this would help avoiding kicks, some people would kick because they didn't want the room full for well there are many reasons. Having the ability to choose the max number of players joining would help manage the amount of misused kicks.
  • Afk timer: not much to say here, how long can a person afk without getting kicked? Want a fast passed game, create a short afk timer!

Explanation:

We all need that freedom and choice, so this is what i came up with, there are however certain features i'd like to talk about.

How would this work?
Instead of changing just the level racket at the beginning the first Menu would appears, the rest you can pretty previously mentioned.

The Kick.. It's not a good function.
There were some kick abusive Persons, which is why i'd like to recommend something like a ignore list , if you're ever kicked the option to add this person to the ignore list, so you never join him again. Plus with all the features i've added to customize the rooms there wouldn't be people getting into a game where they weren't wanted, like the game notes, and the max player limit. If a custom room is looking for specifically one class you don't have you would simply not join. If people want a friendly game they can simply make a no-kick option so people know that room is friendly.

Reasons for a server list:

• Easy control over toxic players, Trolls like to join games more than create games so having control over them is quite necessary.
  • The matchmaking doesn't give you choice freedom enough, you don't choose which map you want.. You don't even know who you'll be paired or if you'll be paired at all... 
  • Find a game that actually wants you and fits your playing style instead of randomly matched with people who might not share the same game vision as you..
  • Freedom of choice, when you have tons of options to choose from the game tends to be more interesting.
  • Offering control to those who can't play without it
  • Reduce the harm done by toxic players significantly without limiting the game or giving them a tool that they can over abuse.
  • Easy Access into a game, no need for double tavern.
  • Allow you to play the way you want without people who don't want to do so not joining you mistaken, take Dungeon Defending into a whole new fun experience by joining exactly with the people who need you or are playing similar way with you.
  • Be able to join any game without being stuck to your location's server.

Well that's it guys, i've put about 1 week of work into this, a lot of people help me with the Design and Features, thank you to everyone who supported this idea! Hope you guys enjoy this suggestion, please leave you feedback and if you like it make sure to click that button with an heart icon to show your support and upvote the suggestion :)

looking forward to reading your opinion on this, bring it on all is welcome and appreciated!

This is great. It has consistency with how the original DD1's menu looked which is important for familiarity purposes.

This server list is even better then the old from DD1. It has all the improvements we need to enjoy the full potential of DD2.

The only thing I would add here: Provided we get an ignore list, a toggle button to show/hide games containing players on our ignore list.

[[12589,users]] quote:

This server list is even better then the old from DD1. It has all the improvements we need to enjoy the full potential of DD2.

The only thing I would add here: Provided we get an ignore list, a toggle button to show/hide games containing players on our ignore list.

It's actually in the filters :D "don't see ignored games" =) indeed your ignore list is quite amazing and would help taking care of toxic players, without giving them something to abuse and to help you not find that exact toxic player ever again.

So what you guys think about this? Do you also enjoy the features? Is there some that you don't agree with? =) 
Keep feedback coming even the negative one, my focus isn't getting something that the majority wants, but something that will be of great to everybody playing allowing them to play as comfortable as possible, instead of having to adapt to an environment of players that not always is what they're looking for. 

Have you any other ideas and features that could be there? I'd love to hear them =) 
Is there a downside in this all? Please bring it as i want to hear and try to work out on a solution to what that problem could be so we can make out of this a great suggestion that makes everybody happy.

On the go tavern option, is that not the same as create server room or private room? How bout making that the customize tavern button? Or are servers like lobbies before entering the tavern? Seems right now to be weird since you should be able to switch from public to private or private to public in either of the two right options.

[[47405,users]] quote:

On the go tavern option, is that not the same as create server room or private room? How bout making that the customize tavern button? Or are servers like lobbies before entering the tavern? Seems right now to be weird since you should be able to switch from public to private or private to public in either of the two right options.

Go tavern would be simply going to your tavern, and later decide what you want to do from there but in your private tavern instead of the entry tavern. 'Cause that menu is suppose to appear on the first tavern instead. Sorry I think it might be a bit confusing as I didn't explain 'cause i didn't want to adventure further with details, as I was making i realized that maybe i was going too specific about each feature, when in general the suggestion is the Server List + shwoing what more features can be added not exactly the way it most function precisely. 

But one of the features that i not so obviously suggest with this post is to create a menu on the entry tavern where you jump straight to what you want, ofc after the first match end you can simply return to tavern or w/e better features can be made from that, but the option to simply i don't care about entry tavern and i don't want to go to the game right now, just bring me my private tavern.

Then i don't know something could be done from there, it's not really a blast 1029743108297412 suggestions in one thread intention of mine :P but glad you noticed that. It would be a simple way to end with the double tavern stuff and jump right next to what you want to do instead.

As always [[43252,users]] your ideas are amazing! - Love the whole thing, and i really hope they'll consider making it. +1 from me.

[[68418,users]] quote:

[[1267,hashtags]]

oh you squire_small.png thanks for the support! 

[[64143,users]] quote:

As always Gutu your ideas are amazing! - Love the whole thing, and i really hope they'll consider making it. +1 from me.

Thanks mate! glad yo hear you liked them too. 

I think something like this is missing from the game really, DD2 is amazing, it's a shame that we can't get more customization options, lately all the game seem to be going through the matchmaking instead of server stuff, it feels like the pc games are being merged into how console games are. 

I can understand in some games that matchmaking helps a lot, specially on pvp ranked ones to stop them from fighting the same people and farming exp. Anyway. 

Dungeon Defenders may benefit from having a matchmaking system, but it doesn't benefit from having ONLY a matchmaking system to my vision, simply too many different ways of playing the game where some people complete each other. My fun isn't exactly always your fun. Instead of forcing you to play with me, you join somebody else who has fun the same way you do.

I might be a bit repeating myself but i really believe in the potential of a certain major thing like a server list that opens doors to millions of possible customization ,you can even add more features to it, the shown above are merely a small example of the ones that could cause a good impact over the multiplayer gameplay experience.

iamisom quote:

Thanks for the suggestion, Gutu!

Thanks for stopping by, means a a lot to me and probably everybody that takes their time in making these suggestions, Really appreciate your efforts into taking our words to the developers ears (and maybe hearts? :D) anyway thanks man!

If you make it happen I can ask the Tavern's Keeper secret wife to make come Etherian Cookies for you squire_small.png

Jokes aside hope the people at trendy understand that the variety of players that play DD is too big to be matched through a normal matchmaking system. With this i tried not to make the game better for myself but to everybody =) really appreciate you taking the time to read it and everybody else at trendy. Keep doing an amazing job, i know that if you don't implement something like the server list something like a more advanced matchmaking system will come because you guys love us =D. Anyway keep it up!

The more i play DD2, the more i wish this feature was implemented.. Miss Server List so much, it could help player-player interaction in so many ways!
If anybody has any downside of having a server list, please feel free to share as i'd love to find a way to fix all the possible issues, Dungeon Defenders 2 deserves the closest thing to comfort for each and every player due to the fact that so many different players play this game for their own unique reasons.

Combining this idea with  an ignore list feature should be top priority from the beginning of public early access if the current state of DDE shall be avoided.

I think this thread pretty solves most problems, that have been addressed in the whole suggestion forum. A server list, costum settings (I live the Afk timer idea) and an ignore list. +1

Fantastic suggestion. I 100% approve of this. Would help players know what they're getting into when joining a game. squire_small.png

Today in the dev log i see that they're talking about the matchmaking system, I want to see what they'll come up with, i really really hope it's something like a server list or that at least give us more freedom of choice and better conditions to every type of player =)

i actually followed this thread but have forgotten to like it -.- lazy me, done it now^^

allways wanna have a Ban/Ignore list or some Kick function cause it seems i get put on afk servers a lot...

atm a big problem is that you cant do anything against afk macro users else than leave, wait a few minutes and press thumbs to get onto another server...

and i'd really like to be able to choose what server i'll be joining cause some of them seem very laggy....

Great suggestion, totally supported. Matchmaking system needs a change and that is good way for more freedom.

It's not that i dislike the matchmaking system (how ever i do dislike how the current is presented), i just think that not everybody enjoys how matchmaking goes, however I understand if trendy wants to perfect the matchmaking system before moving onto the server list, as if we had a server list i know a lot of people wouldn't use the matchmaking system. 

Anyway, my point is, together, both can work, no need for one to replace the other one, i understand the easy and speed that matchmaking system provides, which is why it should be avaible, however a more deph of customization that can only be provided by a server list is also necessary.

Going onto matters, i still think a kick+ban list would be a very nice feature, a vote kick can be abused, not having any option to kick almost kills me. 
If you get kicked, a message would pop up to block he who kicked, if you kick, a message would pop up to block him (block/ignore) This would add him into your ignore list from were you'd never meet again, making you think twice before kicking someone for not reason as most likely it would mean you wouldn't play with him ever again.

just add to the "play public" a lvl range drop down or something and quickly get into a game via the current matchmaking system...

and again im voting for block/ignore/blacklist or whatever it will be called when it gets hopefully implemented...

(secretly pushing the thread)