Sign in to follow this  
Evil Otto

Switching Characters in Build Phase

I would love to be able to switch my Characters anywhere on the Map and not only in the forge while in build phase ! 

I dislike all this walking and still i need to switch them many times per game when soloing :)

"I suggested swapping buttons 1-3 during build phase with your hero deck so you can quick swap. "

this sound good !

That map center thing is called Forge. I don't really mind going to there while soloing, maybe 'cause i've been going to the forge ever since DD1 where i spent thousand of hours, one thing i suggested a while ago was a warp to forge that would kinda cut part of the walk, at the cost of blue mana, giving some actual use on blue mana for builders and build phase. 

[[5651,users]] quote:

I'd rather you can't swap at all, playing solely off your teams strengths and teamwork.

the idea is nice but it would punish solos and if you join a game in progress with the wrong class it would be very harsh

Arriz quote:

Mythos quote:

I'd rather you can't swap at all, playing solely off your teams strengths and teamwork.

the idea is nice but it would punish solos and if you join a game in progress with the wrong class it would be very harsh

I am sure it could be balanced for solos, less hp and mob count all that. If you join mid game before you "offically" join it would offer you the hero deck to select one. Problem solved. They could also make it so hard mode+ no hero switching or something. And honestly these type of games have always been more enjoyable as a group with friends. 

[[5651,users]] quote:

Arriz quote:

Mythos quote:

I am sure it could be balanced for solos, less hp and mob count all that. If you join mid game before you "offically" join it would offer you the hero deck to select one. Problem solved. They could also make it so hard mode+ no hero switching or something. And honestly these type of games have always been more enjoyable as a group with friends. 

I was pretty much going to break down the issue exactly as you have. There is always a way to meet in the middle. I don't like to say, A choice is better than B choice... when there might be a better choice..

In my opinion, being able to switch is exactly how it was in DD1 and that's how it should remain. This is normal play, not challenge mode. If you want to lock out switching then save it for a mode which everyone knows what's at stake and knows that this is HOW it is meant to be played.

[[5651,users]] quote:

i dont see why i should level up more than 1 character then ...

you see i have a deck of 3 level 20+ characters and i play mostly solo and for my builds i need more than just 1 character you know?

[[15513,users]] Otto quote:

Mythos quote:

i dont see why i should level up more than 1 character then ...

you see i have a deck of 3 level 20+ characters and i play mostly solo and for my builds i need more than just 1 character you know?

You would level up more than one character because you enjoy the game and the characters own uniqueness and play style, just like any other rpg.

MasterOfLazyness quote:

Mythos quote:

Arriz quote:

Mythos quote:

I was pretty much going to break down the issue exactly as you have. There is always a way to meet in the middle. I don't like to say, A choice is better than B choice... when there might be a better choice..

In my opinion, being able to switch is exactly how it was in DD1 and that's how it should remain. This is normal play, not challenge mode. If you want to lock out switching then save it for a mode which everyone knows what's at stake and knows that this is HOW it is meant to be played.

Good point and I think there are lot of solutions to fix one problem. I don't have an issue for solo's to be able to swap for example in single player or something for example. I don't agree however, that just because something was done in the first game, it automatically makes it a good mechanic. Sequels should always be about pushing the boundaries, doing things better, and innovating where possible.

[[5651,users]] quote:

MasterOfLazyness quote:

Mythos quote:

Arriz quote:

Mythos quote:

Good point and I think there are lot of solutions to fix one problem. I don't have an issue for solo's to be able to swap for example in single player or something for example. I don't agree however, that just because something was done in the first game, it automatically makes it a good mechanic. Sequels should always be about pushing the boundaries, doing things better, and innovating where possible.

Innovation for the sake of innovation is terrible thing. The core concept of the game is what kept people interested in the game. Being able to play entirely by yourself and fulfill all the roles yourself is what makes this interesting. Being able to play with others and bring not only your strengths but the strengths you may have on another character to the table is a great and wonderful thing.

DD1 had it. There is no logical reason to why DD2 shouldn't have it. If it didn't, you know full well that people would almost demand its return. There is nothing about it that really needed changing. It's a good mechanic, that's why it should be in the sequel. It's also more of a CORE mechanic and not just something added to the game. Having multiple Heroes and switching between them is one of the games main things next to the actual combat.

What boundaries do we have to push? The game is literally about very simplistic things. You can't push certain boundaries without forcing the player base into directions or holes. Doing things better? That's what ALL games should do when the time warrants it. Not JUST simply for a sequel. Trendy has been trying to make the game more User friendly for a while. They even tried changing things in DD1.

A game doesn't have to be innovative to be good. It just needs to be a fun and well made game. After that, then maybe it can try to bring something new to the big giant, known as the gaming world. Also, at some point, games peek. They reach a level where they can no longer innovate it. It's at it's prime. It's already filled with things people didn't expect or ask for. It's worth every bit that people paid for it. All they can do in sequels is give us more within the same formula. Unless they change the game at the core. Turn a Third Person game into a Moba is a big example of this. It makes it seem fresh.

MasterOfLazyness quote:

Mythos quote:

MasterOfLazyness quote:

Mythos quote:

Arriz quote:

Mythos quote:

Innovation for the sake of innovation is terrible thing. The core concept of the game is what kept people interested in the game. Being able to play entirely by yourself and fulfill all the roles yourself is what makes this interesting. Being able to play with others and bring not only your strengths but the strengths you may have on another character to the table is a great and wonderful thing.

DD1 had it. There is no logical reason to why DD2 shouldn't have it. If it didn't, you know full well that people would almost demand its return. There is nothing about it that really needed changing. It's a good mechanic, that's why it should be in the sequel. It's also more of a CORE mechanic and not just something added to the game. Having multiple Heroes and switching between them is one of the games main things next to the actual combat.

What boundaries do we have to push? The game is literally about very simplistic things. You can't push certain boundaries without forcing the player base into directions or holes. Doing things better? That's what ALL games should do when the time warrants it. Not JUST simply for a sequel. Trendy has been trying to make the game more User friendly for a while. They even tried changing things in DD1.

A game doesn't have to be innovative to be good. It just needs to be a fun and well made game. After that, then maybe it can try to bring something new to the big giant, known as the gaming world. Also, at some point, games peek. They reach a level where they can no longer innovate it. It's at it's prime. It's already filled with things people didn't expect or ask for. It's worth every bit that people paid for it. All they can do in sequels is give us more within the same formula. Unless they change the game at the core. Turn a Third Person game into a Moba is a big example of this. It makes it seem fresh.

I'm sorry I just can't agree. A lot of posts in this forum are from other players who decidedly think character swapping mid round is bad for gameplay. There seems to be a small following of die hard fans who think otherwise as well, and that's your prerogative. But either way, it's definitely not a feature where 100% of the player base is behind, and should be closely considered. It's obvious that the developers felt that way as well, because they decided to limit how many characters you can swap too. Sounds like a good vote for the influence points!

Why do you think indie games have been so popular and up and coming? They bring new ideas to the table in new and exciting ways. Meanwhile big companies who used to be known for being innovate like Blizzard have been getting flak from fan bases for having watered down, casual game experiences. Look at games like Call of Duty that are slowly losing momentum for lack of innovation.

DD2 has a chance to be something really unique and interesting. There are tons of things that could do to expand on it. If you are worried about losing complexity there are other mechanics that could be added.

Putting one person put all the defenses down, because they have all the best stats while everyone else is afk is not good gameplay. Having that person, have to run to the forge every round, to replace said defenses while everyone afks is not good mechanics. Having that same person, have to go back to the forge AGAIN and switch to a dps character is not a good mechanic. I am sorry, but it's clunky, slow, and breaks up combat.

I thought a more efficient way to complete a build by making a loadout system to swap heroes.

Please Trinity!

You can pretty much make a set of full builder or full DPS or hybrid.

The method in looking into our hero decks is time consuming and I hope my contribution help shape the further development of this game but nope because Trinity doesn't listen to everyone one of their audience.