Sign in to follow this  
CancoZ

DD2, Still going to have a MOBA gamemode?

Well topic says it all..... I was really looking forward to this.... LIKE..... REALLY!

But is there any word from Trendy if they are or aren't going through with it?!?! 

Last i heard was that they scrapped the whole thing.

But yeah would be nice if its brought back

'Cause the community asked for it, dungeon defenders stand for a action tower defense co-op... Making the 2nd title a Moba... well.. let's just say there's enough mobas in the world and no other game is like Dungeon Defenders being dungeon defenders.. 
It's just a itch most of us have that only Dungeon Defenders series can scratch.

If you want that, take a look at the upcoming Orcs must die. It's 5v5 tower defense/moba mishmash and will be f2p as well, so this will be probably more your thing. I am glad that they scrapped it for DD2.

[[67529,users]] quote:

If you want that, take a look at the upcoming Orcs must die. It's 5v5 tower defense/moba mishmash and will be f2p as well, so this will be probably more your thing. I am glad that they scrapped it for DD2.

ehh so far i know Orcs muc die is a i geuss you call it trap defence, and is not exactly and upcoming game, but in fact have even a Orcs must die 2, and both of those been released for quite some time already, they are on steam look it up

https://na.orcsmustdie.com/ 

'Nough said? ;)

It's a new game, it's called Orcs must die unchained, it's going  to be f2p + it's a moba with traps. Exactly what OP is looking for.

Most of us where not hyped about the indepth PvP mode. (being the main focus) We ALL asked for it to have more maps and challenges that Dungeon Defenders 1 had. Simply put no one was excited for it to be a Dota like game. Everyone was excited about the new maps and challenges.

DD1 had millions of players. If they are smart they will improve stuff, polish it, balance it, but keep the game/feel/genre very similar to the original that brought most of us here.

TD with action/rpg elements..

not a moba and not too much action at the expense of building strategies and layouts. There is many better games in those categories (for people who like those ofc.),

Dungeon Defenders is unique though.

[[67828,users]] quote:

Most of us where not hyped about the indepth PvP mode. (being the main focus) We ALL asked for it to have more maps and challenges that Dungeon Defenders 1 had. Simply put no one was excited for it to be a Dota like game. Everyone was excited about the new maps and challenges.

I never wanted it to be the main focus..... It would have been good just to had a PvP mode.... Anyone will admit doing tower defence is really repetitive... I was obviously looking forward to the Moba, bacause of this reason... To get away from the repetition of tower defence, yet still staying within the game we all love.

[[67529,users]] quote:

Thanks for the post, Ill check it out..... Orcs must die isnt really a tower defence tho..... Like the use of mainly traps, linear maps and limited placing isn't my style..... Ill probably give it a go, i don't think ill like it tho... DD2 Sub mode moba was where it was at

I admit I had fun with it two PAXs ago or so as a MOBA.  I wholeheartedly agree it should not have been a focus for them and doing a proper upgrade for DD1 should have been the first thing on their minds.

I will still be sad if we never see the MOBA aspect return.  Talking with the devs that one PAX, it was heralded as a kind of tutorial "get to know the defenses" style mode to start the game off with an academy feel.  Then later after a match it would get into standard tower defense.  I would have been fine with that.  There's always after dev additions.

I actually liked the idea of a moba, if they ever did multiplayer pvp. It's a much better idea then deathmatch. I would rather the focus on the co-op first, but returning to the moba would be cool. If the balanced it around building your own towers around waves on the other teams enemies would be cool.

I would have loved to see a MOBA mode, but alas it will likely never happen.

It's funny that the idea got shot down by people who are never going to be satisfied by anything other than an exact recreation of DD1.  DD1 still exists, and you can go play it.  Let DD2 be its own game.

[[68753,users]] quote:

I would have loved to see a MOBA mode, but alas it will likely never happen.

It's funny that the idea got shot down by people who are never going to be satisfied by anything other than an exact recreation of DD1.  DD1 still exists, and you can go play it.  Let DD2 be its own game.

This game doesn't need to be a DotA like game. We have all the DotA like games you can ask for. And as for Moba I play CS, Fighting games, racing games, and many other moba games. As the term is broken. I guess there will be some sort of moba mode that doesn't have base defense.  Understanding that 90% of online games are moba. Will make you happy to know that there will be some sort of MobA mode like in DD1 well that game when I stopped playing had 2 different maps that where multiplayer online where you battled in an arena. First thing is first the core of the game needs to be tower defence co-op. They can later add an arena to satisfy the PvP needs. (cause PvP is fun.) 

I don't see why it couldn't be awesome, you build your own towers to defend, and use 5v5 heroes to try and advance. It could be a blast. Much more fun than traditional mobas where you can't build your own defenses. The DD1 multiplayer pvp was a joke. it was buggy, there were lots of cheaters, and it was just boring deathmatch. I'd much rather see something really polished like a MOBA.

Only thing that bothered me about scrapping that project was time invested in it. But i'm really glad that they started to develop the Co-op version because for me that is sweet part of the pie and The MOBA probably is sitting on some archive shelf waiting for better times to come or until some intern stumbles upon in it (completely ignoring the warning to not enter.. goddamit Jeff) and decides to do something with it.

TL:DR

Good riddance from the MOBA

Well a kind of moba style was kind of interresting in this universe where you can build you own towers. But what I have seen from the era they were planning on it it was nothing like that. I was just a classic moba with the heroes from Dungeon Defenders and having a control scheme like Smite.

Also knowing if you go for such a gamestyle it will require a lot more time to monitor and develop to keep it interresting and the game wouldn't have what it has now. So on those aspects I'm glad they scrapped it.

Though as said a lanetype map where you build your own defences would be interresting, that is also why I like Orcs Must Die Unchained. Though I don't like it that they have made lanes one direction. But to get this mode I guess the current system of gearing won't work and would take to much resources to make.

mmmm I would love to see a Smite-ish map style for pvp or something similar to the StarCraft 2 custom map where teams build structures that spawn units on a predetermined time interval and you can build structures that produce resources, killing enemy units/structures gives resources.  Instead of allowing Champion mob structures you just take your hero out and punch things though I feel a restriction would need to be made...if your hero enters the lane they cannot return to the base until they die with some sort of penalty to a hero dying beyond the respawn timer...maybe a resource cost or something?