In need of a skill-tree

Hello DD2 community,

I have bought this game a few days ago and find it very awesome :D. It's my first experience where I actually am the tower defense instead of controlling it! I play many other games, mostly rpg style. I then play with a character who has abilities which I can use to destroy my target/enemies. As I progress, I get better abilities and I can make them stronger. Eventually leading to a point when I can "transform" it into a new one.

Now, I have been playing the apprentice the last couple of days and I like the class a lot. The spells are funny and useful, I can keep my distance or just rush in and cast the super mana bomb! But there is something missing. Now that I have played some hours I have reached level 21. I unlocked every ability and tower which is an accomplishment. But as I unlocked everything, there is no more point in working hard for that new ability you desperately want. I know specs are a great way to enhance towers, dps and other kinds of ability related functions. But I still feel there is need of a skill tree.

So that's why I basically would like to see a skill-tree implemented in the game. Where you can enhance and modify your abilities as well maybe towers. It would encourage playing for a goal and unlocking new awesome abilities :)

Please comment your ideas on this subject, whether they be negative or positive!

Agreed.

More customization is definitely needed.

Maybe power-grid system like FF X for stats, talent tree like Diablo 2 (not 3) for abilities, and some form of tower enhancement (not sure what to compare to).

I really like the idea of having skill trees. I was thinking, though, you could have two skill trees, one for abilities and one for towers. With this system, there would be many towers and abilities available in the skill tree but you could only select a load out of 4 of each.

[[36044,users]] Von Batman quote:

Hello DD2 community,

I have bought this game a few days ago and find it very awesome :D. It's my first experience where I actually am the tower defense instead of controlling it! I play many other games, mostly rpg style. I then play with a character who has abilities which I can use to destroy my target/enemies. As I progress, I get better abilities and I can make them stronger. Eventually leading to a point when I can "transform" it into a new one.

Now, I have been playing the apprentice the last couple of days and I like the class a lot. The spells are funny and useful, I can keep my distance or just rush in and cast the super mana bomb! But there is something missing. Now that I have played some hours I have reached level 21. I unlocked every ability and tower which is an accomplishment. But as I unlocked everything, there is no more point in working hard for that new ability you desperately want. I know specs are a great way to enhance towers, dps and other kinds of ability related functions. But I still feel there is need of a skill tree.

So that's why I basically would like to see a skill-tree implemented in the game. Where you can enhance and modify your abilities as well maybe towers. It would encourage playing for a goal and unlocking new awesome abilities :)

Please comment your ideas on this subject, whether they be negative or positive!

Or, each character could have sub-classes.

For example, for sake of simplicity, the apprentice could be a dark mage, white mage, or summoner.

Dark mage would obviously be more dps ability based, white mage support, architect tower-oriented.

Each sub-class could have unique abilities/towers and could each perhaps have a separate talent tree as well.

I agree. The skill tree system for DD1 made you play it non-stop and just continue on getting your hero to the highest level to be the strongest it can be.  On DD2 since there is no system like this (Im not a big fan of the upgrading system in DD2) it kind've just drops of after you've unlocked everything, it's like whats the point.

dmvanmeveren quote:

Agreed.

More customization is definitely needed.

Maybe power-grid system like FF X for stats, talent tree like Diablo 2 (not 3) for abilities, and some form of tower enhancement (not sure what to compare to).

I disagree, with 3 skills 4 towers diablo3 skill tree with rune system doesn't sound to bad, (aslong as you still get skill points cause everyone loves skill points 5/5) but i feel, would be easyer and give more elemental options for towers.

Thanks for replying! I appreciate it!

[[57051,users]] quote:

Or, each character could have sub-classes.

For example, for sake of simplicity, the apprentice could be a dark mage, white mage, or summoner.

Dark mage would obviously be more dps ability based, white mage support, architect tower-oriented.

Each sub-class could have unique abilities/towers and could each perhaps have a separate talent tree as well.

That sounds very interesting too! It would be cool to have that!

Same for the huntress, squire and monk! I really like the idea of subclasses.

Agreed, skill tree or grid system like POE or FFX would be amazing. Don't trash the current skill level up either, keep both. Need more customization.

I somewhat disagree with the subclass system cause i think that would go a bit against the DD gameplay experiencie , altough having a more clear skill-tree (and a somewhat small tutorial for upcoming players) would make things more smooth for newbies

[[64879,users]] quote:

I somewhat disagree with the subclass system cause i think that would go a bit against the DD gameplay experiencie , altough having a more clear skill-tree (and a somewhat small tutorial for upcoming players) would make things more smooth for newbies

Bleh, if they are just going to recycle the DD gameplay experience from DD1, then i'm done. There would be no reason to play DD2.

[[67792,users]] quote:

I really like the idea of having skill trees. I was thinking, though, you could have two skill trees, one for abilities and one for towers. With this system, there would be many towers and abilities available in the skill tree but you could only select a load out of 4 of each.

Kinda like how they separated the mana. 

Thanks for the suggestion! Keep in mind that the Spec Node system is still very early. As we move further into Early Access and improve our Spec Node system, we'd love to hear your updated thoughts!

I love the current spec system because you have to figure out how to use each 'spec'. However, it's too much of a "chance of a chance" for something to happen. I would like just "next level does x dmg more" or "shoots x faster" or whatever.

[[69010,users]] quote:

I love the current spec system because you have to figure out how to use each 'spec'. However, it's too much of a "chance of a chance" for something to happen. I would like just "next level does x dmg more" or "shoots x faster" or whatever.

There is a Lost Thread on more spec node ideas.

The "goal" of that thread was to create a ton of ideas that did not result in "X% more damage" because we already have a stat for that; two even: Tower Power and Hero Power.

In either case, the spec nodes are all "passive" buffs for the most part.  There's a handful that require player interaction to some degree, but largely speaking they're passive.

Although I'd love a new skill tree, just a handful more passive skill choices like we already have would be awesome. I'd love for you to get 4 points per level, 2 for a tower specific section, and 2 for hero.

[[5651,users]] quote:

Although I'd love a new skill tree, just a handful more passive skill choices like we already have would be awesome. I'd love for you to get 4 points per level, 2 for a tower specific section, and 2 for hero.

Agree with this, would maybe also make hybrid characters actually viable

I would actually like to see something akin to Sanctum 2's skill specialization where you unlock talents that effect your character and turret's and you can equip several of them to change your gameplay style to more supportive or aggressive.