Sign in to follow this  
Gutu

Server List

This images all come from this google sheet (click here, and don't forget to check the tabs)

Note: This is essentially a server list, suggestion as tons of us asked, i added some features to show how small things that can be added to maximize each player's choice in what to play. Call it Server list or party tracker, it's a necessary feature that really leaves some of us very happy to have this freedom of choice and allow us to play how we want the way we want.

First Menu

33mva55.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/33mva55.jpg

Server List

ir0zev.jpg

http://oi60.tinypic.com/ir0zev.jpg

Create Server Room / Map Selection

24gpxcy.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/24gpxcy.jpg

First Menu:

• Play Public: Play public is Similar to the actual Matchmaking system, where people are bought together or a new server is created for them. This server is shown also in the server list as a "Default Room" (any name works) with the usual default settings (the ones we have now).
  • Play Private: Play a private game, just like we have at the moment our private games, no need to change much about it.
  • Server List: A list of all the ongoing games with filters.
  • Create Server Room: Create a Serve Room as it says, with lots of custom options :)
  • Go Tavern: Go to your tavern like private game but with the option to turn it into a Server Room and choose it's settings at any time.

Server List:

• Game Name: The title of the room.
  • Leader: The person who created the room.
  • Players: with the option to check what other players are in that room. (see a name you know and dislike? don't join :D) Also with how many slots are there available. 
  • Map
  • Difficulty
  • Level
  • Mode: whatever will be on release just thought it would look good to place it there :)
  • Wave: it's always good to know which wave you'll be joining 
  • Kick: Now this is something i've really thought about, people dislike and like kick option and it really comes down to personal experience and taste, do you want to not have a chance to get kicked out of the game? Join a game with no kick option. Other things could be implemented like a timer on how long it would be necessary for the kick option to be enabled, but this is a different matter.
  • AFK Timer: how long until people get kicked for insactivity?
  • Server
  • Ping
  • Game Notes: The game name can be quite a limitation in letters, specify exactly what's the purpose of your room, let's know what exactly the owner of the game is expecting on the game, by having a detailed description kicks will be spared.  Have you ever wanted to do something different? Are you just looking to dps as other build? join somebody who's building. Are you into building all yourself? Let everybody else know that and have dps help and chat.

Create Server Room/ Map Selection

• Game Name: Type down the name of your room,
  • Game Notes: Type down some notes for your room, what are you looking for? what are you doing? what do you want?
  • Level
  • Difficulty
  • Kick: as mentioned above: people dislike and like kick option and it really comes down to personal experience and taste.
  • Max Player number: this would help avoiding kicks, some people would kick because they didn't want the room full for well there are many reasons. Having the ability to choose the max number of players joining would help manage the amount of misused kicks.
  • Afk timer: not much to say here, how long can a person afk without getting kicked? Want a fast passed game, create a short afk timer!

Explanation:

We all need that freedom and choice, so this is what i came up with, there are however certain features i'd like to talk about.

How would this work?
Instead of changing just the level racket at the beginning the first Menu would appears, the rest you can pretty previously mentioned.

The Kick.. It's not a good function.
There were some kick abusive Persons, which is why i'd like to recommend something like a ignore list , if you're ever kicked the option to add this person to the ignore list, so you never join him again. Plus with all the features i've added to customize the rooms there wouldn't be people getting into a game where they weren't wanted, like the game notes, and the max player limit. If a custom room is looking for specifically one class you don't have you would simply not join. If people want a friendly game they can simply make a no-kick option so people know that room is friendly.

Reasons for a server list:

• Easy control over toxic players, Trolls like to join games more than create games so having control over them is quite necessary.
  • The matchmaking doesn't give you choice freedom enough, you don't choose which map you want.. You don't even know who you'll be paired or if you'll be paired at all... 
  • Find a game that actually wants you and fits your playing style instead of randomly matched with people who might not share the same game vision as you..
  • Freedom of choice, when you have tons of options to choose from the game tends to be more interesting.
  • Offering control to those who can't play without it
  • Reduce the harm done by toxic players significantly without limiting the game or giving them a tool that they can over abuse.
  • Easy Access into a game, no need for double tavern.
  • Allow you to play the way you want without people who don't want to do so not joining you mistaken, take Dungeon Defending into a whole new fun experience by joining exactly with the people who need you or are playing similar way with you.
  • Be able to join any game without being stuck to your location's server.

Well that's it guys, i've put about 1 week of work into this, a lot of people help me with the Design and Features, thank you to everyone who supported this idea! Hope you guys enjoy this suggestion, please leave you feedback and if you like it make sure to click that button with an heart icon to show your support and upvote the suggestion :)
looking forward to reading your opinion on this, bring it on all is welcome and appreciated!

This system would definitely improve the game. I'm not 100% sold on all of it, but it has one key feature that makes it automatically better than what currently exists.

Easy Access into a game, no need for double tavern.

This is the most infuriating thing about the game. Why do I have to see multiple load screens before I get to a map? Why can't I hit play, drop into my tavern, pick a difficulty and map, and go? This system, while doing other things as well, give me that option. The DD1 system of map selection is infinitely better than the DD2 system, and I am all for this suggestion.

DunkMasterVex quote:

I'm not sure I 100% agree with your exact layout and such but I am sold on the idea of a server list. It's pretty much a necessity honestly.

My layout and all the features I implemented is just to show off the variety and solutions and features that could be added to make the game function better. The main idea is a server list with features to not allow players to abuse it and not send to trash all the work done so far on the matchmaking system and all.

Thanks a million for your feedback =) means a lot to me. 

It is a great idea and I do hope most of it will be implemented into the game.

I am not sure if it is easy to create a shown ping before joining a server. ...though I'd love to see my ping once I'm in a game.

This server list would be something that brought tons of convenience to the game.

I agree, a server list is a must have in this game... the game feels like it's missing something without it. As for the layout, it's a very neat idea.

[[43252,users]] i love it man ^^ having the ability to select kicking/afk timers is a godsend!  kicking is a poison and a cure at the same time it gets abused yes but removing it is not an answer either and the "afk kick timer is a straight up poison in solo play"  if im playing alone i shouldnt get kicked from my own game but having it in public games is also great so being able to turn it on/off or set the time limit is nice and i completely agree on the server list i do not like the current style as you said you have absolutely no idea who your being paired with or even if your getting paired at all and no choice of the map with the current leader system

First menu -> Meh
Server list -> Awesome, especially like the ping  ; )

Overall love the idea.  Trendy gif server list plz. ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ

I like this idea. What we have right now is very... tedious. too many clicks, too much wait time.. not much freedom. We need to have more buttons :D

[[55615,users]] quote:

This system would definitely improve the game. I'm not 100% sold on all of it, but it has one key feature that makes it automatically better than what currently exists.

Easy Access into a game, no need for double tavern.

This is the most infuriating thing about the game. Why do I have to see multiple load screens before I get to a map? Why can't I hit play, drop into my tavern, pick a difficulty and map, and go? This system, while doing other things as well, give me that option. The DD1 system of map selection is infinitely better than the DD2 system, and I am all for this suggestion.

^My thoughts exactly

[[64962,users]] quote:

I'm not sure I 100% agree with your exact layout and such but I am sold on the idea of a server list. It's pretty much a necessity honestly.

^My thoughts exactly

[[12589,users]] quote:

It is a great idea and I do hope most of it will be implemented into the game.

I am not sure if it is easy to create a shown ping before joining a server. ...though I'd love to see my ping once I'm in a game.

This server list would be something that brought tons of convenience to the game.

Shown ping? That was in DD1 with its server list unless I;m forgetting.

Overall, I comepletely agree. Glad to see you got this onto the forums Gutu, lets hope it gets positive feed back and implementation!

Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it :) glad to see such a support, i've had this idea in my mind ever since i've met the matchmaking system, i don't want the matchmaking system destroyed i think it has it's place, however we need more options in a game.

Freedom to play the way we want is definitely important in a game with such versatility like dungeon defenders, not everybody wants to play the exact same way, and we should allow people who want to play in a different way to play with people who want to play that way instead of mixing them all and generate toxic behavior between them because they don't agree and forcing some to play in the way they don't want because they were matched with people they don't really want to.

We have atm the private game, and we have long used the friends list as a sort of server list, to play with those we like to play with and are easy to communicate, this would allow you to be playing your own way without depending on the limited steam's friends list and actually having a in-game feature to allow this, specially because private you won't be able to play with people who want to play the same way as you but never added you on steam.

So as this i don't want a 100% change of the actual system but rather a upgrade that comes to fixes everything including the annoying go from entry tavern to the next tavern to start a game, allow yourself from the entry tavern to set everything up and only go to your private tavern if you want.

This are just some features that could be implemented in the server list, i'm not saying all are necessary but i'm showing simply how we could customize and how much doors it opens to the dev team to add special features to make playing online a much smooth and better experience.

Loving everybody's feedback =) thanks for the support glad you guys feel like something like this could be implemented to really help everybody have as smoother and better DD2 experience. 

I'm thinking about making this suggestions on the Public Suggestion Forum too, what do you guys think?

I cant see myself playing DD2 for as long and dedicated as DD1 without something like this. 

I do not really have any specific feedback other than a +1 and support for this.

Touching on the "ignore list" though, you say guaranteed to never meet again. How will this be handled if your friend is hosting a game and a player on your ignore list joins him? :P

About putting it in the section for non council members as well. I do not see a reason why not, the more comments we can get on this, positive or negative, it will help the cause. Be it a quick response of "No" from Trendy or not. As said above a feature like this is half the game to me, it s not that much about controlling trolls or so called toxic players. It is more about actually being able to choose who, how, when what I want to do with my time in game. 

If this feature gets a quick end for any reason by Trendy, I fear for the rest of the game going towards a on rail, structured experience with no room for player emergent game play.

[[43706,users]] quote:

I cant see myself playing DD2 for as long and dedicated as DD1 without something like this. 

I do not really have any specific feedback other than a +1 and support for this.

Touching on the "ignore list" though, you say guaranteed to never meet again. How will this be handled if your friend is hosting a game and a player on your ignore list joins him? :P

If the game you were about to join has a person you have ignored a warning could pop up asking if even so you want to proceed? :D

Can I use ad block to avoid the pop up? :P 

Well that is a simple and elegant fix;)

Also if you are going to put this on steam or the forums here for non council members. I would say more clearly that the menus you have made are more of a graphical explanation of how it could work. As you see some have commented on just the looks of it. Imagine the steam forums:P

[[43706,users]] quote:

Can I use ad block to avoid the pop up? :P 

Well that is a simple and elegant fix;)

Also if you are going to put this on steam or the forums here for non council members. I would say more clearly that the menus you have made are more of a graphical explanation of how it could work. As you see some have commented on just the looks of it. Imagine the steam forums:P

Hmm haven't thought of that! thanks for the idea will definitely post it there later (don't want to spam all the forums at once!)

PandynatorDD quote:

In my opinion there should be a filter on the server list that lets you toggle "show games containing ignored players".

About others joining: I think only the leader's ignore list should be weighted here.

Seriously why has this not been made yet. Honestly what is going through the damn devs minds. Just do this already. The server list was good in DD1.

@Angrycircle quote:

Seriously why has this not been made yet. Honestly what is going through the damn devs minds. Just do this already. The server list was good in DD1.

Some people complained about the server list in DD1, so they might have marked it as an issue.. i Don't know, nothing of the said made much sense to me. Usually all arguments with someone against it end up in just too different sights making it impossible to argue further.

So what you're suggesting is that you can just hit a button to join a random game?
That's brilliant, I love that and it's something the game really lacked.

I'd definitely go with this suggestion right here, its a good one!\

EDIT: I think this one should go to the public forums yeah, it's something that would impact the game greatly if it were implemented, so what would work better than to tweak and talk about it with the whole community :D

@BartiriX quote:

So what you're suggesting is that you can just hit a button to join a random game?

EDIT: I think this one should go to the public forums yeah, it's something that would impact the game greatly if it were implemented, so what would work better than to tweak and talk about it with the whole community :D

I made this same suggestion there! :D

@Gutu quote:

@BartiriX quote:

I made this same suggestion there! :D

Haha I meant to respond to your suggestion ;)