For the implementation of a Laboratory - Tower modification, Tower creation, Tower management, potential Crafting

The Laboratory

The purposes this Laboratory would serve.

• Tower Creation : By combining existing towers and/or materials [possible use of a craft system], the laboratory might allow for creating new towers for one or more classes to use.
  • Tower Enhancements : By combining existing enhancements and/or materials [possible use of a craft system], the laboratory might allow players to create Tower Enhancements, and then use them to change the way the towers work, or upgrade their towers' stats. These enhancements would have dedicated slots within each tower and be related to the type of tower; turrets might have, for instance : one slot for the gun, one slot for the barrel, one slot for the body, and one slot for an extra. The gun-type enhancement would affect damages and/or projectiles behaviour, the barrel-type enhancement would affect fire rate and/or range and/or the behaviour of the turret itself, the body type enhancement affect resistances and/or HP and the extra enhancement might add something like a shield or more elemental damages.
  • Tower Management : By adding a way to create more towers, and/or simply adding more towers, the characters might have more towers at their disposal than they can carry around in a map. Through the use of this Laboratory, players would be able to select which tower which hero of his will be able to use.
  • Crafting System : If ever a crafting system is to be implemented, the Laboratory could serve this purpose as well.

Similar ideas were developed in the following topics :

- Tower ManagementWhat if we had more Towers than we could hold.

- Tower CreationTower Combination Upgrades.

As I was very fond of both of those ideas, I felt the necessity to make this topic. The Tower Combination Upgrades idea felt a little incomplete and strange, because those combinations were supposed to happen on the spot; this feels a little too complex for heroes to do alone on the outside, and I wonder how one would be able to combine towers; shouldn't they be very close one to another? This might cause troubles, lack ergonomy, and cause frustration. The idea of combining towers to create new ones is really enticing, but feels more at home within the quietness of a laboratory. And to do this in a laboratory might allow for some kind of crafting system for towers. The idea of having more towers than one hero can hold is also very nice, as I really do love the strategic possibilities it offers and the potential dilemnas one might face having to choose which towers use for a set map.

Another take on the whole Tower Creation/Tower Enhancements idea might be to combine tower parts to create a whole tower, with each part having its own properties and synergies with other parts. Though I do hope I'll live to see that in a game, I fear it might be a little too complex to implement in DD2 at this stage and that it would cause less strongly themed towers, decreasing overall coherence and flavour, and might be weird if different heroes were through this system able to get the same tower, or towers with very similar properties.

I don't believe I already saw an idea on these forums about tower enhancements. I might make a topic to elaborate on this idea if I find the time for that (I'll really try to though.)

What do you think about this whole Laboratory idea ? Also, please forgive my english, it is not my native language, I wrote this in a rush - have to get back to work - and I feel I can be hard to understand. I will try to come here sometime soon to explain anything that might seem unclear and to take your feedback. Have a nice day, and thanks for reading!

I'm not sure about the whole "upgrade tower thing" just because that will make it even more grindy. Also, I'm not a big fan of multiple tower sets for one hero :/

I'm not sure about the whole "upgrade tower thing" just because that will make it even more grindy.

These tower enhancements would not be dropped by the monsters, but would be in a finite number, with a way to craft or acquire those, and once you would have every enhancement, that would be it. I don't think it would be all that grindy? If there is a craft system, the materials would be there anyway, so I don't see why we wouldn't use those to craft tower enhancements. And if there is no craft system, a way to combine enhancements into new ones - without consuming the old ones in the process - wouldn't be grindy; maybe this could come hand in hand with sidequests, with the enhancements coming as quest rewards? Or some kinds of specific parts could be found and combined into new enhancements - with said parts being or not being consumed when turned into a new enhancement. So there are ways to avoid this becoming "grindy" as you put it (though I don't really see the matter here, grinding is kind of a part of DunDef and I do like it. I wouldn't play if I didn't like to grind, at least a little.) and whatever option is chosen, that would add depth to the playstyle customization aspect of the game yet again.

Also, I'm not a big fan of multiple tower sets for one hero :/

This would not be multiple tower sets, but multiple towers from which you could choose to make your own set, with the possibility to change it whenever you would be in your tavern. Why don't you like this idea?

But what do we gain from having additional towers to choose from on a character versus having a new character? I see the towers themselves as part of the character. So changing the behavior of the turret itself doesn't feel right to me. If there is a need/want for more tower variety then I think we should really look at more characters.

I do like the idea of customizing towers though and it has been discussed previously. I do think there could be ways to do this and I believe Specs are one way Trendy is trying to add some variety.