Are there currently only 4 playable maps in the Pre-Alpha?

HI, I was wondering if anyone knew how many playable maps there were in the Early Access. Currently I only have 4 unlocked with only one available difficulty. I was wondering if it's possible for me and my friends to unlock the other levels? Any information would be appreciated.

So I'm a little confused on the design choices of how you "get" into levels.....

I played yours first game......a lot.....a whole lot.. From the beginning.   Please understand that I'm only stating this to explain that I did my best to not read up on the game before coming in.  So coming into the game, I'm in the hub...I select a Level group...and then some maps are not available to me?   Why?    So I beat the first level (Gates)...then it said to back out to get to higher levels.   I back out, go to level 3 - 5....and now I can't play the first level again, only the second.

Why the gates of jumping in and out of sessions to go between levels?  It's a lot of extra clicks and server calls?

[[29410,users]] quote:

So I'm a little confused on the design choices of how you "get" into levels.....

I played yours first game......a lot.....a whole lot.. From the beginning.   Please understand that I'm only stating this to explain that I did my best to not read up on the game before coming in.  So coming into the game, I'm in the hub...I select a Level group...and then some maps are not available to me?   Why?    So I beat the first level (Gates)...then it said to back out to get to higher levels.   I back out, go to level 3 - 5....and now I can't play the first level again, only the second.

Why the gates of jumping in and out of sessions to go between levels?  It's a lot of extra clicks and server calls?

It's related to the story progression it will make sense once the history is added 

Ahh ok....yea without noticing there's an overarching story it makes it weird you can't go back and forth.   So that part I get now.

From a design perspective though...why do you need to leave sessions and come back?   Is it due to the tech on the back?  That it only queries up some assets based on level etc?    So for instance, if it's for level scaling, can't that be done as you load the level?    Why do we have to jump all the way back out...wait to find a new session (there in by calling their server to request a new instance basically) and so forth?   Seems like a lot more overhead that way, and at the same time a lot more wait / clicks for us to get back into the game and play.

Was actually finding that a bit cumbersome when i started playing today as well. I get story progression, etc, but the whole choosing level makes the whole point of getting to play the game a bit confusing and clunky. Had no problem with playing it, just the whole: start a level group, go to another tavern, choose a map, beat said map, go back to tavern, select another level group, go to another tavern again to select next map, rinse and repeat. It's a very awkward approach to the starting the game as opposed to having all levels visible, but locked until the map before it is defeated and possibly having level ranges on the map to show the appropriate level needed for the map as well as level requirements for hard and the other difficulty. I get it's in pre-alpha but this is definitely something that should be considered when moving forward with the fine tuning of the game. Very fun and well polished for pre alpha, extremely excited to see what future patches, game modes, etc will be implemented :)

[[29410,users]] quote:

Ahh ok....yea without noticing there's an overarching story it makes it weird you can't go back and forth.   So that part I get now.

From a design perspective though...why do you need to leave sessions and come back?   Is it due to the tech on the back?  That it only queries up some assets based on level etc?    So for instance, if it's for level scaling, can't that be done as you load the level?    Why do we have to jump all the way back out...wait to find a new session (there in by calling their server to request a new instance basically) and so forth?   Seems like a lot more overhead that way, and at the same time a lot more wait / clicks for us to get back into the game and play.

Right now, I'm assuming it is an easier way to enforce levels on Hero Decks (all heroes must be in the level range) as well as to more easily place like-leveled individuals in the same lobbies. The one thing I think that would make it a lot easier would be a way to change the level requirements (if everyone meets them) in the active lobby rather than needing to return to the original.

[[29410,users]] quote:

The switch level racket will be improving, if you wanna know a while ago there wasn't even replay button just so you know. The switch is necessary to move you from level bracket, however they will most likely smooth as the game goes xD 

as others have commented, this is something that will evolve over time with everyone's feedback. I'm sure Trendy appreciates the feedback you've already given :)

Thanks very much for the civil discussion :)

• 10 months later...

Hi so what your saying is that you have to be specific level to get another map right? me and my brother just got the pre-alpha today and started playing it could only play the first level so is there another way to play another level or will we just have to wait? please get back to me!

@Bowwand quote:

Hi so what your saying is that you have to be specific level to get another map right? me and my brother just got the pre-alpha today and started playing it could only play the first level so is there another way to play another level or will we just have to wait? please get back to me!

You unlock more levels as you complete them in campaign mode. This is also how you unlock a lot of the tavern npcs. So you don't need a specific level anymore, you just have to beat one before moving on to the next.