Change in Walls

So I was randomly thinking about how much I feel like Series EV's walls feel way better than Squire/Apps in DD1/E (And 2), and here's what I randomly came up with. (Open for criticism, preferably constructive criticism, and not "That idea is stupid" comments :/).

My main pet-peeve with DD1/E walls is that I always felt like (For me at least) always fell back on SEV's amazing walls.
The main reason being that most choke points need two walls/Bouncers just to fill the gap(Or god forbid two slice 'n' dice, which ends up as a big waste of DU when Ogre's start ignoring them for my precious Harpoons!)
Which, two Barricades is what? 6 DU? compared to SEV's 2-4 DU needed for almost every choke point?

Now I'm not a good judge for balancing at all, but I am a sucker for walls being built like SEV, or as another game does it, Battle for Middle Earth 2. I actually bought that game just because of how sexy the wall building was! (And then, you know, realized that the game has a hell of a lot of other amazing features)

Series EV:
- Classic Point to point Beam, (longer = more DU)
- Big health amount
- Takes full damage from enemy attacks
- SPEC NODE: Maybe a small rebuked of damage (Combination of all elements it has been hit by if possible)

Squire (Or knight, he's got to have been knighted by now):
- Point to Point, like a Fortified Castle Walls (longer = more DU)
- Less health than SEV's Beam
- Higher phys resist (Mebe some others), weakness to fire/explosions/"Smash"
- Regular spikes like the current barricades.
- SPEC NODE: Add "towers" along the wall (One per 10 DU maybe?) that have little ballistae or something to give it a small (Single target, low damage) defence (360 degree circle maybe, dunno)

Apprentice (Or is he a full fledged Wizard?):
- Point to Point, unknown how to make it look (Longer - more DU)
- Less health than Squire (And thus less than SEV)
- Resists all elements (Maybe Phys weakness)
- Pulse of slight magic damage that also flushes enemies of elemental resists (I honestly don't know)
- SPEC NODE: Increases pulse chance/range or something.

On this note too, since we're using DU in the whole mana cost = DU, which also makes DU use amounts (at lowest currently) of 10. Maybe these kinds of walls would be a good/alright point to start having these kinds of walls take up a more "exact" DU amount. Because I know I always went for "Max of the lowest number I can use", sure it lowered my health but while making 4 walls, that's an enitre extra tower/aura somewhere!

Since DU is dependent on cost would these towers cost more the longer they are?(this would be a neat mechanic). Also have you played yet? There are no elemental resists btw.

I'm for walls that you get to choose the length of since blockades are almost useless right now, anything that improves their usability is good in my book.

Edit. I voted yes to wall extensions, not sure about the wall abilities themselves though. Too sick right now to take the time to come up with other options.

I think they should cost more, It always felt like cheating having a 5 DU length wall but only costing 30 mana.

I didn't actually realise there was no elemental resists, I have been playing (Not often at all though, sadly D:)

Thanks for the vote! Feel better soon though! (I just got better actually, damn cough won't go away though)

Yeah, elements work way different in DD2.
I've been working with an entirely different system in my own game. In an attempt to borrow ideas from DD2, I realized I was too far along with my ideas to make it work. I had too many elements and too many status effects that were element-agnostic to add in "combos" that were evenly distributed (that is, every element had something it was paired with).

Like if I made Stun(Ice) do something special with Earth, what about Stun(Spirit)? Slow(Fire)? Confusion(Air)?

Yeah, EV-style walls are definitely the better option in my opinion; even in DD1 placing down physical barriers always felt like trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. :)

I also REALLY like the idea of each wall having that one little "thing" that sets it apart; that is how the walls were in DD1, and in combination with the improved point-to-point mechanic, it would really show how much the heroes have grown since those early days, while some things still remain the same. :cool:

• 2 months later...

So I think you guys have some good ideas and thought about walls. However right now in DD2 I feel walls are in a place of not being useful and not ever going to be useful. What I mean is that the new ranged enemy's get all the benefits from walls. Unless you are playing a apprentice putting up a wall is a sure way to let the new spear towers hit all of your defenses while staying out of range of yours. 

Sure when you upgrade the problem goes away. But upgraded towers also dont really need walls in the first place. (At least not right now).

So I guess what I'm suggesting is that either the base range of towers need a boost or spear enemy's need a decrease on there range before I would bother to use a wall.

Apprentice wall could (as a base ability or a spec) reflect projectiles. To make it not too OP, the wall itself could take 50% damage from the projectile, but prevent AoE or piercing attacks from hitting the towers behind it.

[[49091,users]] quote:

Apprentice wall could (as a base ability or a spec) reflect projectiles. To make it not too OP, the wall itself could take 50% damage from the projectile, but prevent AoE or piercing attacks from hitting the towers behind it.

With this, it would be to similar to the squire wall, which deals damage when being attacked... It's about the same..

[[60252,users]] quote:

Seanshimitsu quote:

With this, it would be to similar to the squire wall, which deals damage when being attacked... It's about the same..

Sorry, I meant deflects projectiles, not to bounce back and hit enemies. 

[[49091,users]] quote:

jako3578 quote:

Seanshimitsu quote:

Sorry, I meant deflects projectiles, not to bounce back and hit enemies. 

Ohh, that's something completely different! I think it would be a really cool ability, especially the preventing Aoe, or perhabs stopping the jawelin thrower's projectile as well as stopping Aoe..? That would seem cool, but it would have to be nerfed a bit on health or something though...