Sign in to follow this  
Lipadoza

To all you "Bronies"

Disclaimer: This thread is in no way meant to offend anyone, nor is it my intention to ignite some scary flame war over here

So I've been wondering this for quite a while now, and I've seen plenty of you roam these and many other forums and just, well the internets in general.
So what exactly is so great about ponies and mlp? Why would you want to be a bronie? Just.. why?

Just interested in reading the reactions and reasonings :)

The creator of it also had involvement in many other shows featuring a lot of adult humor (prison joke in power puff girls for example). Similar (albeit toned down) adult humor and themes exist in MLP. Honestly, to me it's another enjoyable cartoon like Spongebob (used to be), Adventure Time, and so on. It's a cartoon that happens to feature what used to be considered little girl children's toys.

Also, for the sole fact that Tara Strong is in the show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Strong

A lot of it is that the newest incarnation of MLP is not "pretty girls love pink and shopping!"

You could literally take the content of the new MLP and replace the ponies with anything (including our Defenders) and it would still make sense. They're young, but they're important to the community, and they save the world. It's a surprisingly well written kids show that has enough hidden adult humor. It's not a show for girls, it's a show that's good and happens to be skinned onto something girls like (ponies).

Just my opinion.

The creator of it also had involvement in many other shows featuring a lot of adult humor (prison joke in power puff girls for example). Similar (albeit toned down) adult humor and themes exist in MLP. Honestly, to me it's another enjoyable cartoon like Spongebob (used to be), Adventure Time, and so on. It's a cartoon that happens to feature what used to be considered little girl children's toys.

Also, for the sole fact that Tara Strong is in the show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Strong

Adult humor in cartoons is a legit reason enough for me :p

I'll admit I've never watched a MLP episode, I feared it would harm my manlyness in some horrid way.
I did however watch the extremely twisted .MOV parodies on youtube, which might or might not have already damaged my perspective on mlp. But I might just try to watch it sometime for fun, when noones around, I still do think it's easier to explain getting caught watching pr0n then watching mlp as a young adult. But hey I might just like it

I dont consider myself at bronie at all, though I did find mlp enjoyable as a show.

But then again, I watch a lot of anime and enjoys a lot of other weird stuff too :P If you have watched some anime yourself, you might have seen the genre called "seinen" before. These are shows shows focused as publicum being men around 16-30 years of age, but fun thing about them is, how much they look like the shoujo genre (focused on girls 8-16 years old).

So I guess the real question is: why does men above age 16, enjoy the stuff girls below age 16 enjoys? :P

It's not about liking girl stuff, it's the fact that the writing of the show is top quality. Why do so many people watch shows like Game of Thrones? I didn't watch it at all until the 4th season ended. I decided "might as well see what the fuss is about" and got instantly hooked. Watched all 4 seasons over the span of a week or two. The writing is excellent, the story captures you, and the special effects fit perfectly. Everything about it is great. The same can be said for MLP. The stories might be moral of the story type of episodes, but the way they pull it off is utter genius and you don't even think you're being taught how to be a better person. Understand that with the "65 episode 'rule' ", after the 3rd season, you should have seen the community. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SixtyFiveEpisodeCartoon) 3rd season was half as long hitting the 65 episode mark. It also marked the end of the entire story line. It became so popular that people were petitioning a renew for a 4th season and beyond (and it's soon to be on season 5 and current at 91 episodes). It's not the ponies that do it for people, but the writing, the humor, and the fact that it's actually trying to teach good morals without shoving it down your throat. That, and they do a lot of fan service. Best example that can be made is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC2EMUuQmTY . The segment was redubbed because some "angry parents" decided it sounded "too retarded" and was making fun of mentally handicapped people even though lots of them were speaking out saying they loved that they "had a pony that could better represent them". Could source all that if I still had the old post, but a little searching can give a lot of info on it.

Point to mentioning that is that Hasbro took a risky move to allow a LARGE amount of fan service in a show and the community only grew bigger and closer together because of each one. It's quite an interesting culture and definitely one many look down upon. Would it be any better if I had some scantily clad animated female as my avatar and preferred Hentai instead? Lots of people condemn others for things they don't understand. It's funny, because watching a show that taught morals might help them be better people.

This post has gone on so long I kinda lost track. Sorry if it's a bit much :P

It's not about liking girl stuff, it's the fact that the writing of the show is top quality. Why do so many people watch shows like Game of Thrones? I didn't watch it at all until the 4th season ended. I decided "might as well see what the fuss is about" and got instantly hooked. Watched all 4 seasons over the span of a week or two. The writing is excellent, the story captures you, and the special effects fit perfectly. Everything about it is great. The same can be said for MLP. The stories might be moral of the story type of episodes, but the way they pull it off is utter genius and you don't even think you're being taught how to be a better person. Understand that with the "65 episode 'rule' ", after the 3rd season, you should have seen the community. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SixtyFiveEpisodeCartoon) 3rd season was half as long hitting the 65 episode mark. It also marked the end of the entire story line. It became so popular that people were petitioning a renew for a 4th season and beyond (and it's soon to be on season 5 and current at 91 episodes). It's not the ponies that do it for people, but the writing, the humor, and the fact that it's actually trying to teach good morals without shoving it down your throat. That, and they do a lot of fan service. Best example that can be made is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC2EMUuQmTY . The segment was redubbed because some "angry parents" decided it sounded "too retarded" and was making fun of mentally handicapped people even though lots of them were speaking out saying they loved that they "had a pony that could better represent them". Could source all that if I still had the old post, but a little searching can give a lot of info on it.

Point to mentioning that is that Hasbro took a risky move to allow a LARGE amount of fan service in a show and the community only grew bigger and closer together because of each one. It's quite an interesting culture and definitely one many look down upon. Would it be any better if I had some scantily clad animated female as my avatar and preferred Hentai instead? Lots of people condemn others for things they don't understand. It's funny, because watching a show that taught morals might help them be better people.

This post has gone on so long I kinda lost track. Sorry if it's a bit much :P

I do watch alot of anime myself, ranging from romance (Can't remember the name of one), to extreme gore (attack on titan), to brilliant comedy (great teacher onizuka etc) Oh and I enjoy good Horror/Gore anime as well.

I also watch Adventure time (later seasons got better adult humor in them imo), but also adult cartoon series like southpark, family guy etc. And I also enjoy watching spongebob, I can understand that a girly cartoon can have great writing, adult humor even, and might even appeal to a male audience in a way. But for some reason I fear being disowned caught watching it, especially as a 23 yo tall male that hits the gym often, just feels.. wrong. That and I'm not a big fan of horses or ponies for that matter, these creatures just do not appeal to me at all, unless they are medium rare with a nice pepper sauce.

However reading your responses I did develop a greater understanding for bronies, and that they merely enjoy good cartoons, Instead of being mentally scarred adults. (This image was created when I watched an episode of "I've never done it before" (Dutch Television show about adults who are still a virgin) where a rather "large" male still had to figure out wether he was *** or straight + was a virgin. But this image has been been cured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltgfBjzOyKE (Language = Dutch, sorry no subtitles, doubt these are needed though)

I did mention earlier that I watched the crooked parody series (.Mov) Here's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL94A83DC128CC6B4B
DISCLAIMER: This is a very rough parody, and it might or might not damage you as a bronie! (It's funny just go watch it)

So yeah, thanks for your responses thus far, I hope the links I posted don't damage you too much.

snip

Probably the best mentality to have is if someone's going to poke fun at you for watching a show like this, it's only because they are highly insecure about themselves and if you enjoy it, you should be happy about it. I've heard of people being fired from jobs and losing all their friends over liking MLP though, so I can understand some being hushhush about it or scared to even watch it but that's just proof that society is beyond broken. MLP is just one show of many that offer adult themes and humor. If anything, the fact that it's a children's show only makes it better because the writers have to disguise the humor very well to ensure it doesn't come off the wrong way to children watching it. Makes the writing very engaging at times as you try to pick up on all the subtleties. A good example is when Pinkie has an absolute schizophrenic breakdown when she thinks her friends are abandoning her. A child would see it and think "Pinkie is sad because her friends are keeping a secret" when an adult would see it and understand the dark theme behind it all that one of the characters is inches away from an absolute mental breakdown at any point. They even emphasize the craziness by doing a whole scene of her just being flat out psychotic. It's not something you'd expect in a children's show. It'd be like Teletubbies (if anyone even remembers that...) and having one of them go total schizo. Unexpected. I think the MLP writers pull off fantastic writing.

Being fired from a job over watching mlp? What kind of stupid management was that suppose to be, lol. So much for being highly qualified. Your Masters degree means nothing if you watch MLP. Watch out!

Being fired from a job over watching mlp? What kind of stupid management was that suppose to be, lol. So much for being highly qualified. Your Masters degree means nothing if you watch MLP. Watch out!

Well, it actually happened because he saw the boss's little girl come into work with a MLP shirt on so to make small talk asked her about the show and what her favorite character was or something along those lines. The boss didn't think that was "appropriate" and proceeded to fire him saying it made the other workers uncomfortable or something.

http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/1nbhqw/whelp_i_got_fired_yesterday_for_being_a_brony/ for the full read.

Well, it actually happened because he saw the boss's little girl come into work with a MLP shirt on so to make small talk asked her about the show and what her favorite character was or something along those lines. The boss didn't think that was "appropriate" and proceeded to fire him saying it made the other workers uncomfortable or something.

http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/1nbhqw/whelp_i_got_fired_yesterday_for_being_a_brony/ for the full read.

Sounds like a man with the intellect of a prepubescent boy.

ANYWAYS. I loved watching season 1, 2, and 3 of the show, but the current season is a real let down for me. They added wayyyyy too much singing. Every single episode is composed of at LEAST 25% singing. I actually got so annoyed from it that i stopped watching the season 4 episodes. They turned it into a musical. What a shame.

I watched an episode of MLP to see what the fuss was about, and I really enjoyed it. I can see why people watch it obsessively. It's not what I want to watch in my free time, though.

I watched an episode of MLP to see what the fuss was about, and I really enjoyed it. I can see why people watch it obsessively. It's not what I want to watch in my free time, though.

I once watched it too one day with my ill niece..really didn't have other option ... and it had its moments...
I kno this is off topic but that day I also say a tinker bell movie ( I believed it was tinker bell: secret of wings, yea I remember the name) and I really enjoyed that...

I too have delved into an episode and saw no transmutation of myself into a negative light. I see no reason for the hoopla surrounding this cartoon. I don't know if it's the streotype of girls and horses, but I see it as a cartoon for all ages and genders.

At least you arent trying to offend us. There isnt anything wrong with it, i personally enjoy it because of the actors, music, character development, and the creator of it. However, the older generations of mlp are absolute crap. It wasnt until gen4- Friendship is Magic, that Bronies surfaced