Making the Forums Lively Again

Here is how the community is set-up:

Xbox 360

Playstation 3

PC

There could be events, that was mentioned earlier. The problem with in-game events and prizes is that Trendy are probably too busy to make the prizes and give them out. If they could, then they probably could do that for PC and Xbox 360. ( I don't know about PS3, because of the whole server shut down thing.) Forum events could also work. Prizes could be DD2 keys, maybe in-game DD1 event items, (look above to see why I say "maybe".), DD1/DD2 promo items like posters, key chains, free DD1 PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 codes, and stuff, etc. There could be contests to create and name new weapons, pets, etc for DD2. The best maybe could be added in the game. This would inspire people to use their imagination and be original. I'm talking to you thorn bow......

At the moment the only reason why I'm still here is, because of the Xbox 360 events that I'm hosting along with some other guys. There's nothing for console gamers anymore on the forums, everything is for PC. (no dis-respect) There is the random thread full of little "mini-games" for people to play. That has some activity in it. There has to be stuff for everyone to enjoy that play on different consoles. Having mostly everything on the forum for PC players (no dis-respect again) makes it where console players have barely anything to do on these forums and don't visit them as much.

...How can we as a community get people talking again? What would make the forums more fun? What do you personally want to see on the forums?

It is entirely possible that my 60-hour work week has made me a bit more insane than usual, but I swear this is a good idea.

How can we as a community get people talking again?

This is something I feel quite strongly about, so my response is a bit lengthy. I promise it will directly relate to your query.

I think Trendy's decision to share a development blog with the community is a wonderful thing. Too many developers hide behind curtains and ostracize players from the development process. I believe the best way to develop a game is through constant discussion with an interested community, and I admire that you guys are trying to achieve such discussion. That being said, I feel like you've made a misstep in this endeavor.

In my humble opinion, offering a 'random' chance at alpha access as a reward for replying to the development blogs is a MAJOR mistake. This encourages counterproductive behavior by both parties!

By the readers:
Prospective players are conditioned to comment on every blog for a chance to try the game, even if they don't have anything of value to add. This means the replies are going to be riddled with fluff content and bumps, rather than meaningful discourse about the development of the game. I have personally left at least a half dozen comments that were completely unrelated to the blog posts, simply because I didn't have anything I wished to add. Note my avatar, which I made in MS Paint. A lot of posts end up feeling like that - just a bunch of bumps for chances at alpha keys.

By the developers:
Knowing that your blogs will receive a certain amount of feedback, regardless of the content, encourages you to post as frequently as possible. (Gotta get those Google points.) This inevitably results in the occasional lackluster blog. For example, let's look at A Bold New World. For a post focused on VFX, there is very little graphical content. It's rather difficult for readers to offer good feedback about your new VFX when they aren't presented with more than a couple of isolated examples.

So why am I bringing this up? I believe your alpha access distribution model is the biggest detriment to quality content on this forum. In addition to causing the above issues, it is a rather limited and haphazard way of recruiting prospective players to help test and develop the game. If you want more people talking about your game, give more people a reason to talk about your game.

1. Choose a more effective way to recruit new testers. In my opinion, applications are the way to go. You're able to select from a variety of prospective players based on whatever criteria you feel is most important.

2. Focus on making your blogs more conducive to meaningful discourse. Posts like Help us with the new player tavern! are the perfect way to generate said discourse! This post brings up a major feature in the game and offers readers a unique opportunity to aid in its development. This is the kind of post that belongs on your main blog.

If you address these problems, I believe you will find your forum to be a much livelier place.

TL;DR: The current alpha access model has a negative effect on the forum.

P.S. Please don't interpret this post to be hateful or overly critical. I enjoyed DD1 so much, and I only want the best for its sequel and the community. Keep up the great work, Trendy!

It's just a guess but I think a lot of users feels fooled after those 'Last Update'-threads and turned their backs. Also the missing support for DD1 could be a major reason. If your game screws and you don't receive any help then there is no reason to play DD1 and/or visit the forums again. Thanks Trendy (especially Kim) that at least this has been changed and the support for DD1 is raising again. I would love that solutions you hand out per private messages would also take their way into the forums.

If Trendy could do something I would suggest to try to get your users back playing DD1. Yes I know you are always busy with DD2 and stuff but ...

More users playing DD1 means potential more users visiting the forums. A thrilled user will spent more time at the forums.

Thanks for the feedback! So far, it seems like you would like to see:

1) Threads/posts that encourage more meaningful discussion about DD2
2) Events/activities that get people excited to come to the forums
3) A way to receive DD2 pre-alpha codes that isn't entirely random and is focused more on substance/contribution

Anything else or anything that I missed?

Have there been any questions in particular or in a certain section that we haven't responded to?

Yes to questions in the blogs. It seems you forgeting about blogs at all in a few hours after its creation :(

It is dead because no one has anything to talk about. What do people on the dungeon defenders forum talk about? If you answered politics you are wrong. We talk about wanting, waiting for and playing dungeon defends. I don't think anything you do on the forums is going to increase post count.

There are no light at the end of the tunnel, that's why. We all waited and waited.

On the very last day of spring, dd2 was delayed. Now we have no clue on a possible release date.

Yes to questions in the blogs. It seems you forgeting about blogs at all in a few hours after its creation :(

well, a lot of those questions is things that currently is confidential, or dont have an answer as of yet. And its hard to control and answer at whats being written there, as it is posted so mant off-topic posts. If you want an answer then try making a thread where you ask your question specifically. (Also, a lot of the questions has alreadybeen answered multiple times)

There are no light at the end of the tunnel, that's why. We all waited and waited.

On the very last day of spring, dd2 was delayed. Now we have no clue on a possible release date.

DD2 was delayed quite a while before that, the question which ended up for real was "is this a game that benefits from early access, like games like dayZ and rust?". The answer the council came to was no, as letting people have free access to the game now, would end up in people actually quitting the game due to a new wipe every week. AND, the game isnt ready for being online 24/7. Not every week either, it is a lot of stuff being added weekly, so look forward to it!
(The forums is more active now than they were early spring btw)

I know, for me, this summer has just been ridiculously busy. Mostly my own fault considering I popped the question to the girlfriend two weeks ago ([[4761,hashtags]]), but personally I'm going to make a serious effort to get my top contributor name back :).

Congrats bro! I wish you the best in your commitment to each other, bring it under God's roof and be blessed!

Hey Defenders,

Our forums seemed to have slowed down a bit, so I think it's time to get things shaking again! I have a few ideas on how to reignite some activity, but I want to open the floor to ideas from everyone. How can we as a community get people talking again? What would make the forums more fun? What do you personally want to see on the forums?

I think the comunity as a whole has slowed down a bit. Live streams, forums, events, play tests, and more all seem to be less attended. Part of it is because of summer the other part is because you have lost core forumers and members for a temporary time that ran hype trains. It will all come around but I am glad to see you guys being proactive to fix it.

-Vys

have now answered a lot of the questions on the blog. Im not a mod, so they will pbobably not be 100% right, as theire my personal answers. I guess i can try to answer some of these questions when i see them once in a while to help out trendy :)

DD2 was delayed quite a while before that, the question which ended up for real was "is this a game that benefits from early access, like games like dayZ and rust?". The answer the council came to was no, as letting people have free access to the game now, would end up in people actually quitting the game due to a new wipe every week. AND, the game isnt ready for being online 24/7. Not every week either, it is a lot of stuff being added weekly, so look forward to it!
(The forums is more active now than they were early spring btw)

I think Trendy did the best thing by not releasing DD2 when it wasnt ready, however most people (like me for example) are disappointed because their hopes were high and wanted to get the 'Dungeon Defenders feelings' back by getting their hands on DD2 but the delay broke their hopes and hearts :kobold: .

I think Trendy did the best thing by not releasing DD2 when it wasnt ready, however most people (like me for example) are disappointed because their hopes were high and wanted to get the 'Dungeon Defenders feelings' back by getting their hands on DD2 but the delay broke their hopes and hearts :kobold: .

It's definitely for the best my friend. DD2 in my opinion doesn't have enough content quite yet to keep you hooked for the hundreds of hours that DD1 could.

It's simple. when DD2 has an official date and is closer to release than the forum will be booming. Constant delays and the whole MOBA incident just don't have people caring and this isn't just me, but how the majority my friend's feel.

Sure you can have a niche event to help with forum activity, but until the real game is closer to release and has a concrete date. I will be interested in playing other games.

I was super duper duper duper hype on the forums all spring... and then no dd2 alpha released to the public :( thats why i slowed down posting, hate to admit it but that was the only reason i was on the forums
1: Alpha and Beta Passes
2: Release date information

Making the Forums Lively Again

I like seeing the continual release of news related to DD2. Everyone is looking forward to it but needs something in the mean time.

I think keeping DD1 going while waiting on the release of DD2 is key. Like eagleone mentioned a lot of people where excited to see trendy ask for suggestions but the people have yet to see anything.

However releasing Moonbase, restoring lost accounts and kicking events off again while we wait would help. People love new maps to play and new items. The steam summer sale has brought many new people to the game. However many are always disappointed that they missed all the events. Starting those up again since DD2 pushed out would help and just end them again once dd2 is ready.

Just redoing a past event and handing out rainmakers as the item would make people go wild. :) No need to create something new.

I like seeing the continual release of news related to DD2. Everyone is looking forward to it but needs something in the mean time.

I think keeping DD1 going while waiting on the release of DD2 is key. Like eagleone mentioned a lot of people where excited to see trendy ask for suggestions but the people have yet to see anything.

However releasing Moonbase, restoring lost accounts and kicking events off again while we wait would help. People love new maps to play and new items. The steam summer sale has brought many new people to the game. However many are always disappointed that they missed all the events. Starting those up again since DD2 pushed out would help and just end them again once dd2 is ready.

Just redoing a past went and handing out rainmakers as the item would make people go wild. :) No need to create something new.

This might be the best suggestion I have seen yet. I actually have been wanting to host some DD1 events for awhile now..might get on that now. I will help Lord Josh out and bring some hype back into the community :).

Edit: Thread is up and running to discuss such an event! Help me out guys!
http://forums.dungeondefenders2.com/showthread.php?115794-All-For-One-Event&p=1035744[[4792,hashtags]]