Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

6/5/14: Potential New Layout

Hey Defenders,

I have a potential new forum layout, and I wanted to get your opinion on it before we do anything else. The biggest goal of this new layout is to bring the most appealing and sought-after content higher up. The current "Welcome" section doesn't provide any useful information after your first visit, and I want it to be something that players check every day. The second goal is to condense some forum categories together to bring the discussion together. In my opinion, there are too many subforums at the moment. So with that in mind, here is the potential new forum layout.

DUNGEON DEFENDERS COMMUNITY

• Game and Community News: News about Dungeon Defenders/Dungeon Defenders II and news/spotlights from and about the Dungeon Defenders community will go here. Players can submit articles/items of interest to us that we'll feature in the Community tab on the front page and in this subforum!

• Player Help and Guides: Guides for Dungeon Defenders and Dungeon Defenders II will go here. Players can ask and answer questions here, too! The Forum Rules will be a sticky in this section. Guides will be segregated into subforums.
    • Dungeon Defenders II Guides
    • Dungeon Defenders Guides

• Introduce Yourself: Players who are new to the community can introduce themselves in this subforum. This is a separate subforum because I enjoy giving players the option to create a new thread about themselves. (If we put this in the Player Help and Guides section, this would become a sticky thread.) Sticky thread for Guides/Help at the top of the subforum.

• Contests, Giveaways and Events: All contests, giveaways and events from both Trendy and the community will go here. Each thread will require a pre-fix to identify which platform/game the contest/giveaway/event is for. Official contests/giveaways/events will be stickied.

• Community Creations: Screenshots, livestreams, Steam Workshop creations, fan art, lore, Let's Plays, other videos -- all of those will go here. Our favorites could be featured on the website!

THE BAZAAR: One-stop shop for all Dungeon Defenders trading. (Created a new subforum so it'd be easier to link to all Dungeon Defenders trading activity from other locations. Plus, it's the #1 most popular section of the forums.)

• Dungeon Defenders Trading: Buying, selling and trading for all DD1 platforms will go here. No more separate trading subforums for PC/Mac/Linux and Console/Mobile. How do you feel about that? All threads would need to have the platform listed in the title.

DUNGEON DEFENDERS II

• General Discussion: All Dungeon Defenders II discussion goes here.

• Suggestions: All Dungeon Defenders II suggestions go here.

DUNGEON DEFENDERS

• General Discussion: All discussion for DD1 on PC, Mac, Linux, 360, PS3, Android and iOS goes here.

• Technical Support: Technical support for the game from other players. I kept these separate as different platforms have different issues.
    • PC/Mac/Linux
    • Console/Mobile

OFF-TOPIC

• Defender's Lounge: Anything not related to DD here. (I renamed it in case we included different subforums in the future, like one for Forum Games. I also wanted to give it more of an identity than just "Off-Topic Discussion."

Questions:
[LIST=1]
Are you okay with us condensing the Dungeon Defenders subforums?
Should we create subforums in each guide section for Maps, Heroes, New Player, etc. -- or should we just use thread prefixes and provide links to show only threads with those prefixes?

Seems fine to me. It would be easier for everyone if you condense the forums a bit.
And as for the subforums, i'm not really sure. I would rather no subforums but I don't really mind.

Condensing the forum a bit sounds like a good plan to me. I remember when I was new here at a point, had a hard time finding stuff and usually just clicked "whats new", people placed stuff everywhere, stuff that usually should just go into general forum ^^

Are you okay with us condensing the Dungeon Defenders subforums?
It all looks good to me.

Should we create subforums in each guide section for Maps, Heroes, New Player, etc. -- or should we just use thread prefixes and provide links to show only threads with those prefixes?
Thread prefixes and links would probably be the better option imo

It is very easy to navigate currently. Your new layout irritates me. Many different places to navigate to DD1 or DD2 related threads.

I wouldn't move the guide section although most guides (if not all) are provided by the community. Also we need more subforums, we need to differ between Console and PC. Since both platforms requires different guides for building due to the huge difference of both.

I also wouldn't touch the trading section. I doubt it will increase the readability if people always have to add prefixes. No clue how frequent the other trading sections are but PC Trading section is heavy.

I highly prefer different boards for DD1 and DD2 something like it is right now. I'm sure some boards are 'dead' and thats the reason behind this merging. Anyways ...

DUNGEON DEFENDERS COMMUNITY

• Game and Community News

• Introduce Yourself

• Contests, Giveaways and Events (That's fine here since there are not much events anymore)

• Community Creations (Let's Plays seems a bit redundant to guides, other things are a great idea)

DUNGEON DEFENDERS II

• General Discussion

• Suggestions

• Technical Support

• Player Help and Guides

• The Bazaar

DUNGEON DEFENDERS

• General Discussion

• Technical Support
    • PC/Mac/Linux
    • Console/Mobile

• Player Help and Guides
    • PC/Mac/Linux
    • Console/Mobile

• The Bazaar
    • PC/Mac/Linux
    • Console/Mobile

OFF-TOPIC

• Defender's Lounge:

I also wouldn't touch the trading section. I doubt it will increase the readability if people always have to add prefixes. No clue how frequent the other trading sections are but PC Trading section is heavy.

Xbox has always been non-existent as the few trades which occur normally are arranged in game and the PS3 is about to get the axe so it should still be 99% PC anyway

Xbox has always been non-existent as the few trades which occur normally are arranged in game and the PS3 is about to get the axe so it should still be 99% PC anyway
Thanks for the info :)

The majority of you would like this new layout. Before we go further, I just want to clarify: There will be elements of one game that are spread over several sections. For example, Dungeon Defenders guides are in one category, Dungeon Defenders trading in a second category and Dungeon Defenders discussion in a third category. As a user, does this upset you? The idea is to bring the most used or sought-after information higher. I just want to make sure if you are okay with this. We can always change the forums back if you are unhappy with the layout, but it will be troublesome to re-separate those threads back into their old subforums.

The majority of you would like this new layout. Before we go further, I just want to clarify: There will be elements of one game that are spread over several sections. For example, Dungeon Defenders guides are in one category, Dungeon Defenders trading in a second category and Dungeon Defenders discussion in a third category. As a user, does this upset you? The idea is to bring the most used or sought-after information higher. I just want to make sure if you are okay with this. We can always change the forums back if you are unhappy with the layout, but it will be troublesome to re-separate those threads back into their old subforums.

I'm good with it only because the console sections is pretty much dead. If it had more activity it might have been too confusing.

Two thumbs up :)

I voted for the "I am okay with some things but not others". I did this because I didn't think two trading sections should be combined. Having now seen how inactive the console trading section is I say go for it.

We've decided to not separate guides and trading from their respective game hubs. We will still make the suggested changes to the Welcome section (which includes moving all giveaway/contests/events into this area) and merge the console and PC/Mac/Linux DD1 sections together. We hope to make these changes very soon. Thanks for your patience and input!

We're going to close the forums down tonight around 8 p.m. and make the changes to the forum layout. The forums will be down for an unknown amount of time while we move things around. That means the console and PC/Mac/Linux Dungeon Defenders forums will be merged together whenever we make the forums online again!