Earlier today, I downloaded a screencorder. My antivirus said it was corrupted, so I fully uninstalled it (with Control Panel). Next, I installed the dev kit to toy around with it and see if it was my level of coding. I tried running DD, and it said something was preventing it from starting. I fully uninstalled the dev kit (from control panel again). Yet again, I had another error...launching. When I clicked the shortcut it didn't run at all, and running it from Win32 said i was missing steam_api.dll. I installed that from the internet and it seemed to work. Well...it didn't. I tried playing it, and the loading screen came on. I waited 30 seconds and nothing happened, so I clicked it on the taskbar. Two things happened. First, a really weird window showed up. It had the sword, Dungeon Defenders, and the closing/minimizing icons, but a huge bar of that stuff below it. When I tried to close it, a window showed up saying that DunDefGame isn't responding. I might try a reinstall, but I don't want 130 hrs of work to be erased. Other than that, I don't know what else to do, so I have come here and hope that you guys can help me fix this; I just wanna play my game ;D

*IMPORTANT*: Up until now, this game has been working perfectly and I am very satisfied with it. I am using windows 8.1 (or whatever the latest is). I purchased the EV dlc on Friday. This is the screencorder http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmatchware-screencorder.en.softonic.com%2F&ei=kaR6U-bwI-qrsASb9oHgBw&usg=AFQjCNG7VWoXZD8BPIxT-LP1lrF5jjGUMA&sig2=rXRn8my_MzjpTpM-yPWUGg&bvm=bv.67229260,d.cWc.
This is the steam_api.dll http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?steam_api

EDIT: Also, I restarted after every uninstall

Another edit (I forgot a lot): I have a COMPLETE SteamApps backup, if that can prevent me from losing my stuff

Hey joshfreedy,

Have you played on TrendyNet? TrendyNet saves your characters, so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Honestly, my best guess would be to uninstall Steam and Dungeon Defenders (if steam doesn't take it with it :P) as you had a corrupted file from steam itself. This should solve your problem.

If you want to try to something else, that is less of a hassle, try to verify the integrity of the Dungeon Defenders cache. This won't take nearly as long as the above.

If you're playing on Local, there's a file somewhere in the DunDef folder. It's slipping me where it is at the moment, but I'll edit my post once I find it.

Edit: Found the file path for me (it may be different for you if your using only one drive; in that case it should the C: drive.

A:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dungeon Defenders\Binaries\Win32

Then, copy the following the files:

DunDefHeroes.dun
DunDefHeroes.dun.bak

Lummy, Tech Support

So if I copy&paste the files into the reinstalled DD my open chars should be back? And I usually play ranked, 125/130 hrs are there. I don't use steam cloud, so will that make any effect (it kept closing in the middle of games to sync)

EDIT: Nvm at, i verified tha game cache and 7 things were missing. Works fine now and everything is there! Very happy this forum and almost hope I have an issue so I can come back

So if I copy&paste the files into the reinstalled DD my open chars should be back? And I usually play ranked, 125/130 hrs are there. I don't use steam cloud, so will that make any effect (it kept closing in the middle of games to sync)

EDIT: Nvm at, i verified tha game cache and 7 things were missing. Works fine now and everything is there! Very happy this forum and almost hope I have an issue so I can come back

You're welcome back anytime :)

You don't have to have an issue to come back. :)

As lummywolf put it:

You're welcome back anytime :)

• 6 years later...