5/5/14: New Forum Theme Second Pass

Over the past few weeks, I've made more tweaks to the new forum theme.

• New Pop-Up Colors
  • Changed The Subheading Colors From Grey to Black
  • Updated the Pagination Colors
  • Fixed Several Visual Errors

Please go to Settings -> General Settings -> Miscellaneous Options -> Forum Skin -> "New Default Theme." Once you've used the theme for a bit, please post in the poll above.

The new theme is an attempt to add sharper contrast between background and text, to create a more unified forum theme color than the current theme and to give the forums a DD2-styled makeover.

If there's ANYTHING you want to change about this theme, please post about it below. The goal is to have this theme go live as the new default forum theme if it has the community's blessing.

Known Theme Issues:
  • The background of the Vote Now/View Poll Results is black instead of dark grey.
  • The Profile Tabs are red and do not match the theme.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "toplinks" in the sub-header are forced to lowercase. ".toplinks ul.isuser > li"

It looks really weird when you compare it to other areas like the 'Reply to Thread'-button, Breadcrumbs and the "Welcome, " message - just to name a few.

Other than that, love the changes you've made to the otherwise dull and boring Metro theme! (I don't like Metro (a), but I love this one!)

The "toplinks" in the sub-header are forced to lowercase. ".toplinks ul.isuser > li"

It looks really weird when you compare it to other areas like the 'Reply to Thread'-button, Breadcrumbs and the "Welcome, " message - just to name a few.

Other than that, love the changes you've made to the otherwise dull and boring Metro theme! (I don't like Metro (a), but I love this one!)

Are you referring to the "settings" and "log out" links next to the "Welcome, [username]" link? Just making sure. And thanks for your feedback!

Are you referring to the "settings" and "log out" links next to the "Welcome, [username]" link? Just making sure. And thanks for your feedback!

Exactly!

The links within the "notifications" dropdown seems to be camelcased.

I neglected to mention which links I meant in the previous post! =)

Just some testing:
If you can read this, then nothing needs to change.
And if you can't read that... ;)
[quote] .bbcode_code {
color:[[1124,hashtags]] !important;
}[/quote]

And honestly...too much purple.

Just some testing:
If you can read this, then nothing needs to change.

And honestly...too much purple.

All your purple are belong to Trendy!

Another thing, the "Thumb Up" button does not match the "style" of the forums. Love the green colour chosen for the "Amount of thumbs" received, it doesn't burn your eyes out when looking at it.

But the little icon thingy could be changed to a glyph, for example: http://glyphicons.com has some great SVG fonts that follows the same style that the Metro is based upon.

The Reply to Thread button's little Plus sign with a circle around it.
The Reply, Reply With Quote and Multi Quote - buttons beneath this post.

They're all a single colour.

At the moment, you can barely make out the white thumb inside the green gradient of the button - it's just a blur on a screen with high contrast settings.

The backgrounds of the "quick navigation" bar and the "post quick reply", "go advanced" and "cancel" are white and harder to look at for me.

I also agree with the "thumbs up" button. It's hard to see.

It also might be nice if the "report a post" button was always a color instead of blurring into the background.

Seeing some purple comments, which we received in our last thread about the new forum theme. The other suggestion was blue. How's this?

Seeing some purple comments, which we received in our last thread about the new forum theme. The other suggestion was blue. How's this?

Blue is really nice, purple needs too be brighter imo.

Well, I don't mind the change. But I wouldn't say it's massively better than the previous one.

[SPOILER][/SPOILER]
Stickied threads need a different background/text combination from normal ones (and/or a small border mayhaps). They just blend into each other at the moment :demon:

The lack of border between the profile information and the post/signature looks very wierd too (especially with the signature having a horizontal border that just ends...

The preview signature window appears to be zoomed in by a factor of ~2 on what the actual signatures show as (probably m,ore a general bug than this theme, but while I'm looking...)

Thumbs are in the signature block for some reason. Should be at the footer of the post block to prevent \/

Well, I don't mind the change. But I wouldn't say it's massively better than the previous one.

What would make it better?

Also, I'm logging down all of the changes mentioned in this thread. Thanks for the feedback!

My first impression was "So much purple" but I think I'm beginning to like it.

The blue does look nice but it's a bit too bright for my liking. I did not like the gold link version of the purple.

I do agree that the thumbs up button should be improved.

To those who are saying that there's too much purple, what elements of the theme would you change (the navigation bar, headers, etc.)?

What would make it better?

Also, I'm logging down all of the changes mentioned in this thread. Thanks for the feedback!

I like the new background picture. But the rest of it feels too dark. Maybe give it a different shade or something.

Purple and blue looks very good, I really like this combination. Gold text looks pretty bright, but not bad too. Blue with blue looks boring.
But the gray titles of threads look too bleak and inconspicuously :( Would be great if they will be blue color too.
And please highlight thread's authors.

The current purple-blue style is very well but there are still some white backgrounds e.g. the Quick Navbar or the background of the Signature Checkbox under Quick Reply.

It doesn't look too bad, but the purple seems a bit odd. I don't have any valuable suggestions though =/

Edit: I think you should follow the colours of the dd2 logo. Suggest a brown / dark brown / dark orange colour for your nav bars. The purple is good for wrapping posts. It definitely needs more gold / yellow / orange, maybe as the link colours?

The gold lettering makes it easier to read as it draws the eyes to the subject of the links.

My suggestion is gold lettering on the links and maybe lighten the area where ads usually are (seems too dark; from black to maybe a gray color like ash)

To those who are saying that there's too much purple, what elements of the theme would you change (the navigation bar, headers, etc.)?

This is what I did with Stylish.
http://s17.postimg.org/ledgyx833/Capture.png

All I did was yank the old brown and use it instead of the purple. I'm not happy with it, per say, but seemed less aggressive on the eyes.
(I prefer a dark theme, its less painful when the room lighting isn't great)

I like the color scheme, however the header is kinda bugging me in two ways. Screenshot to use as reference:

• There's a HUGE amount of negative space where the four heroes used to be (green box above). I wasn't a fan of having to scroll down to see content anyway, so I'd like to see it removed.
  • The apprentice and squire are cut off on my screen. I'm running 1440x900 resolution, which is larger than half the resolution of the general internet population. That means that on average, half the people browsing the forums are going to see the apprentice and squire cut off on the edges.

Edit: Ugh, it looks even worse at 1280 pixels:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

We're going to move the forums higher up. Good call on the different background around the header, gigazelle.

I might hold off on implementing this theme as I might be able to get some more Dungeon Defenders II theming implemented, which might make the forums look different.

How bright is the purple for you guys? It's pretty dull for me, but I was messing around with my monitor settings, and I was able to get the purple to be quite intense.